Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Hi everyone (this updates a previous post):

In January, I bought a new(I thought) Treo 650 from a Sprint Store. I added a line with the Treo (extending my contract), and gave my old phone to my dad.

This weekend, I checked my lifetime minutes and noticed my warranty date was 10/21/05, which seems weird, b/c I bought the phone in January 2006.

On a whim, I call *2 and ask them to tell me my phone's activation history. They tell me it was on a business account before it was sold to me, so it sounds like I was sold a used phone as though it was new.

The phone works fine. I would probably not have noticed had I not been geeking around here learning about hash codes.

Any advice as to what I should do? Am I being too uptight? If I got back to the store, what should I ask for? It seems like, just in principle, I should get what I paid for.

Thanking you in advance,

4ster
    Last edited by 4ster; 03/20/2006 at 08:41 PM.
    Safety and happiness can only come from individuals, classes, and nations being honest and fair and kind to each other.
    - C.S. Lewis
    i would definately go back to the store! get you your new phone!
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by babydol
    i would definately go back to the store! get you your new phone!
    I agree...If you didn't buy a used phone...then you shouldn't have one. Don't let them push you around either...you're the paying customer..not the sales rep at the counter. Make a stink till you're happy with the outcome.

Go get em tiger.
    813 Posts
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    my favorite is (in a calm voice) "I would imagine ... (selling a used phone as new) is probably not legal, but the state's website has a form to file a complaint with the Attorney General - I'll just let them sort it out. Can I have your full name please so I can add it to the complaint. Unless, of course, you want to give me 4 free months or another free NEW Treo (I'll keep the old one as well)...."

It's true, and you would be surprised how well it works...
    If the phone works well, and they all don't, go for a credit on your account, say $150. That's relatively easy for them to do if you get high enough in CS. You won't even have to go to the store.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Thanks for the good advice, everyone. One more thing: I applied for and received a $50 rebate from Palm. I don't know if that matters or not. At least the previous owner did not get that.
    Safety and happiness can only come from individuals, classes, and nations being honest and fair and kind to each other.
    - C.S. Lewis
    Let them know that you feel as though sprint has done more than mistakenly sell a used phone as new. They've stolen your trust & you firmly believe you're probably not the 1st peson they've done this to.

Be extremely nice to whomever you're dealing with and tell them you would like the situation documented on your account, along w/ your exact comments. Now ask them what they're going to do to fix your problem. If you've killed the cust. service rep with kindness, they should already be on your side. They know spirnt screwed up, not them, and will probably work to see that you don't get screwed again. Also ask them to see if their manager has any suggestons for rectifying your situation. Be sure you get both the cust. serv rep & managers full names for documentation purposes.

Here's my suggested fix in case they don't come up w/ it-- tell them you are aware the Treo 700p is being released in the next few months. Tell them you want to use the USED 650 until Sprint starts shipping the 700p's to their biz customers (which is earlier than when the retail stores get them). Tell them you want them to ship you a 700p, at no additional cost, along w/ a "Return Kit" for your USED 650. This would provide you with the NEW phone you originally thought you'd purchased & repair your faith in Sprint after this shady situation.

Then tell them that once all of this is settled, you'd like to know where at Sprint you can write to in order to tell Corporate about the exemplary Customer Service experience you had, naming them (csr & mgr) as your champions, personally restoring your faith in Sprint.

Be sure to have the CSR & mgr. you're dealing with are documenting every detail of the problem & proposed solution into your account notes. This way you won't have to rehash the details w/ any future sprint employees you deal with while waiting for the 700p.

That's my .02 cents, hope they fix the situation to your liking!
    Last edited by Jack45208; 03/19/2006 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Originally posted from Treo, some of message was accid. cut off.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Just to make sure, I called Sprint again and spoke to a nice rep who told me that the phone was activated in November, 2 months before I bought it. He suggested that I take it back to the store and swap it out for a new one, which I will do tomorrow. I will post here how it goes.

He also offered me a free month of data (a $7.00 value!) "for my trouble." I told him I would wait and let the store rectify things. :P
    - C.S. Lewis
    Good going and good luck with your new phone
    Quote Originally Posted by 4ster
    I would probably not have noticed had I not been geeking around here learning about hash codes.
    Hey I'd be interested to know what you did to figure that out! I wish I read this post before I returned my defective unit. While Sprint gave me a new phone no questions asked (it was within 14 days), it would have been nice to know, and have some more ammo in my corner to get at least something "for my troubles".

Thanks!
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Just go to your phone application and enter ##786#.
    - C.S. Lewis
    I just got mine replaced because I cracked the screen. Dude at the counter told me it would be a refurbished phone but my original warrenty and all that would still apply
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Well, I just got back from the store. I spoke with two persons in the store, including a manager, who could not find any evidence that the phone was ever activated on another account. This is 24 hours after two separate persons in two separate phone calls at *2 told me that the phone had been activated last year on another account.

No one could explain why my warranty date was wrong.
    - C.S. Lewis
    I bought my phone in August 2005 and the warranty date says 2-26-05! Something is up!
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Yeah, that was the thing with me. I could get them to admit that the warranty date_should_ be the original activation date, but no one could explain why mine was wrong.
    - C.S. Lewis
    I purchased my Treo 650 in December 2005 and my warranty date is listed as
    11-10-2005. Does this mean my phone was previously activated?
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I asked basically this same question to the tech person at my store, and she replied, "I don't know. I have never been asked this question before. Maybe that is the date of manufacture."
    - C.S. Lewis
    Scroll down after entering "##786#". There is a separate "activision date" line.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

I don't have an activation date on mine. Is that common?
    I think the warranty date is probably the manufacture date.

Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    I don't have an activation date on mine. Is that common?
    I have the line, but no date is entered. Sprint?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast