Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I've had my Treo 650 for a full month and now I would like to purchase new applications for it... I'm looking at four pieces of software: Scrabble, a dictionary, a money manager and an eWallet. And pTunes.

I want some help and clarifications as I'm not clear about a few things:
    • Where do you guys buy your palm software? palm.com? treocentral? mytreo? handango? there are so many!
    • Which seller do you people trust with your money? (I'm asking this question not with reference to the initial delivery, but differences in support, upgrades and transfer of license (when the time comes!))
    • What is the whole issue with "Promotional Codes"? How does one go about getting one?
    • Palm gives some discount (20% ?) if you register your phone on their website. How does one go about claiming the discount? This is unclear on their website.
    • How does one go about getting a discount (other than promotional offers) if I purchase all the software together at one shot?
    and...
    • So which english-english dictionary is accepted as being the better of the lot? BDicty? PocketDict?
    • I'm looking to store personal information (CC, Bank, DL, Insurance, etc.) Is SplashWallet up to it? Currently, I use the (free) MobileDB for this purpose.
    • Which money manager works well with Microsoft Money? That would be real nice if I could sync-up.
    Yeah, I don't live in the US so any telephonic support for products purchased will be quiet useless to me. Subscription and pay-per-use applications are not an option for me (Handmark Express...).

Regards,

- mvk
    Last edited by GreenHex; 03/19/2006 at 02:31 AM.
    I'll have a go at some of your questions...

I own over a thousand dollars worth of Palm software. Most of it I've purchased from the major distributor sites: PalmGear and Handango. Whenever I can, I purchase from the author's own web site since that provides the greatest financial reward for the author. Many of the enthusiast sites, such as Treocentral and Palminfocenter, have stores of their own. These stores are often "driven" by a well-known engine, such as Handango's. In essence, they are customized versions of those engines. When you buy from the enthusiast site, that site gets a kickback which helps keep them in business, so if you like a particular site, you might want to buy from their store. Typically, prices are pretty close all over, although each store has it's own distinct set of specials running at any given time, I find. In particular, the store at Palminfocenter is pretty new and they have been offering some very good discounts recently. Not sure if any are still in effect.

No matter which site you purchase from, odds are that support will be from the author, not the place you bought. If you do contact PalmGear or whoever, they typically forward your question on to the developer, so you may as well go direct.

Promotional codes are available through special links on the seller's site, or because you've been sent an email from a developer from whom you have previously purchased software. Over at 1src.com, there is a dedicated forum for discount offers which you may want to check out.

As far as trusting sellers, I've never had a problem and I've bought from many different places. There's no guarantee you won't get a bum deal, but to my eye the problem is just not pervasive enough for one to get too anal about it. Of course, never, ever click on any link provided to you in an email, unless you really know what you are doing. There's no end of phishing trips out there.

Software upgrades are really particular to the piece of software you are buying. There are no rules, even within a particular development shop. Often the upgrade policy is available on the author's web site. The most common policy is that upgrades are free within the major version of the software. So, if you bought version 3.1, then versions 3.2 and 3.3 are free, but not 4.0. Since authors are free at any time to up the major version number, this may not mean very much. You might see version 3.1 immediately followed by version 4.0 within a month, with an upgrade fee attached. My advice is to decide whether the current capabilities of the software justify the price in your mind. If so, you're getting your money's worth regardless of the author's upgrade policies.

As for the "best" dictionary, that is a toughie. There are no end to threads discussing this question so you may want to search. When you do, I think you'll find no consensus. There are a number of good ones each with their own happy constituency.

For storing IDs and passwords, again this has been discussed many times and a search is appropriate. In this case though, I detect that SplashID routinely gets the majority of the votes. I have personally used it (along with its terrific desktop companion) for several years and couldn't be happier. It is one of my "must have" apps. Again, though, there are several other choices each with its happy group of promoters.

I don't know the answer to your question about the 20% discount at palm.com. If you don't live in the US, I highly suspect you're out of luck. However, you just have to go there and read the policy. I've found Palm pretty good about laying out the restrictions in clear language.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks Patick, you really have spent more time answering my questions than I did in posting them on T|C. I really appreciate it. - mvk
    I concur with most of the above, with one exception. When the developer has no personal purchasing site, and I have to deal with the "big boys", I go out of my way to avoid Handango, opting for PalmGear instead. My reasoning:

Handango vs PalmGear
    1) Regardless of choosing "no email", Handango WILL send unsolicited mail. Further, some of their 3rd party developers also send unsolicited mail. Because I want the reg code, I use a valid address. I have used a valid email for a trial. The unsolicited email arrived despite the fact that I never purchased the app (from Handango.)

2) Support--- with PalmGear, when I learn that one of the apps I've purchased has been upgraded, it's a very simple matter to download the new version from PalmGear: I enter my email address and password, then check my previous purchases, download, and I'm done. By contrast, with Handango, I have to first dig through my e-receipts, get the order # and email address used for purchasing, and download. If it's one of the developers who upgrades his/her app frequently, I'm in trouble. Handango has a set number of downloads per app. Exceed it, and you have to then go and get the credit card number with which you purchased, and only then download.

And note: on many occasions, after jumping thru those hoops, I discovered that the latest version was not yet available at Handango, despite being several days after release. Rechecking is what prompts that dang "credit card" number gateway.

In short, Handango is a royal pain in the a--- at every turn. Did I complain directly to Handango? Yes. They sent me a discount code. When I tried to use it later that week, a message came up that the code was invalid.

The last time I purchased from Handango was several months ago, as a combo price was uniquely available for two apps. Those apps have no registration number-- you must download the "full" version. If not for that reality, I'd never go near Handango again. Needless to say, even if it cost more, these days, I stick with PalmGear.

Re: Splash ID (vs eWallet)
    I've owned a Palm for over 5 years, and love 3rd party apps. Hence, at this point, I own just about all the most popular apps, and others. Initially, I used eWallet, as I owned that app when I had a Pocket PC, and it was easier to keep using that app when I jumped to the Palm platform. Later, I switched to SplashID, since it had a better feature set then. These days, they are pretty comparable. I now stick with eWallet, as it uniquely offers more flexibility for my purposes, via several free-form cards, etc. You should try both, and come to your own conclusion.

Discount Codes
    About 90% of the apps I own came by way of discounts. PalmGear's top tab bar typically includes discounts. Discounts are also frequently anounced in certain places:
    -- PalmAddicts: http://palmaddict.typepad.com/ (right column, and main text)
    -- PDA24/7: http://www.clieuk.co.uk/index.shtml (main text)
    -- 1Source Forums: http://www.1src.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97

Apparently rotating discount offers, sometimes as high as 20% off:
    -- PalmInfoCenter: http://www.palminfocenter.com/ (front page announcement)
    -- TreoBits: http://portal.treobits.com/
    .... (Caveat: pain-in-the-a--- interface for downloading updates)

Rule: have fun!! Enjoyable apps ensure you will be faithful to whatever productivity scheme you prefer, and faithfulness to that scheme is more than half the battle on the road to keeping organized.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks so much for the detailed explanation and advice, TreoRenegade. - mvk
    I agree with TreoRenegade, palmgear is my choice due to thier excellent tracking of all purchased and free program downloads. Makes it a snap too update.
    For the Microsoft Money issue, I believe Ultrasoft's Money is supposed to be the best. I used the trial version of it, and it seemed to work out great, but I found I really didnt' have a use for it. I think I used it just a few times the entire month, so I really don't know much about it. I guess it would be good for someone that's away from home a lot so they can keep track of all their expenses. I usually come back home within a day, and I can hold onto my receipts until then. Give it a try, it should work out well. It's also the one recommended by Microsoft as a mobile solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex
    Hi all,

I've had my Treo 650 for a full month and now I would like to purchase new applications for it... I'm looking at four pieces of software: Scrabble, a dictionary, a money manager and an eWallet. And pTunes.

I want some help and clarifications as I'm not clear about a few things:
    • Where do you guys buy your palm software? palm.com? treocentral? mytreo? handango? there are so many!
    • Which seller do you people trust with your money? (I'm asking this question not with reference to the initial delivery, but differences in support, upgrades and transfer of license (when the time comes!))
    • What is the whole issue with "Promotional Codes"? How does one go about getting one?
    • Palm gives some discount (20% ?) if you register your phone on their website. How does one go about claiming the discount? This is unclear on their website.
    • How does one go about getting a discount (other than promotional offers) if I purchase all the software together at one shot?
    and...
    • So which english-english dictionary is accepted as being the better of the lot? BDicty? PocketDict?
    • I'm looking to store personal information (CC, Bank, DL, Insurance, etc.) Is SplashWallet up to it? Currently, I use the (free) MobileDB for this purpose.
    • Which money manager works well with Microsoft Money? That would be real nice if I could sync-up.
    Yeah, I don't live in the US so any telephonic support for products purchased will be quiet useless to me. Subscription and pay-per-use applications are not an option for me (Handmark Express...).

Regards,

- mvk
    I have SplashMoney on my 600. It came with my phone with SplashID (I love this) and SplashShopper, but if you want to try it out first, you can download a trial of it on their website I believe. I'm not sure if you can sync it up with M.Money though

To be perfectly honest I've stopped using it (full version and it was free too lol ) because while I liked it, its just easier for me to write everything down in my checkbook. (Its easier to see whats cleared and what hasn't -- gotta love the yellow highlighter!) But thats just me.

PM me if you want to try it...I actually may be able to send you the prc
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I have the 600 cd that has the Splash Money program you refer to but when I install it on to my 650, it is a trial version?!?
    Last edited by 1337; 03/19/2006 at 11:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by babydol
    I have SplashMoney on my 600. It came with my phone with SplashID (I love this) and SplashShopper, but if you want to try it out first, you can download a trial of it on their website I believe. I'm not sure if you can sync it up with M.Money though

To be perfectly honest I've stopped using it (full version and it was free too lol ) because while I liked it, its just easier for me to write everything down in my checkbook. (Its easier to see whats cleared and what hasn't -- gotta love the yellow highlighter!) But thats just me.

PM me if you want to try it...I actually may be able to send you the prc
    Have you tried MyCheckbook?
    They have 2 versions, a multi acct. version and a single acct. version

MyCheckbook

MyCheckbook Yahoo forum
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko515
    Have you tried MyCheckbook?
    Franko!

I have been using MyCheckbook (5.4 build 07) for the past three days... I must say that it is very good (oh, it has its idiocyncrasies), and its freeware to boot! I was looking at purchasing software for the sole purpose of syncing with M$ Money, for which Ultrasoft Money appears to be the only choice.

Here too I'm out of luck, as I have M$ Money 97 (yeah, really been using it for all that time... almost, but it still works well with XP Professional) and Ultrasoft Money will sync only from M$ Money 98...

The writing is on the wall I guess, I have to upgrade to a newer M$ Money version... or drop the whole thing.

- mvk
    It was late and I missed your question about money managers, but I will add my voice to the Ultrasoft Money camp. I'm using Microsoft Money / Ultrasoft Money combination without problems.

Sure have come a long way since a few years ago. I remember having to enter all my transactions into my PC or Palm. Now I just go to my bank's web site, pick "Download Transactions" and Microsoft Money just slurps it all in. Then, when I sync, it all goes into my Palm. No muss, no fuss. And no stylus or keyboard work to speak of. I love it.
    20% off on software, til March 31st: http://palmosc.com/
    Code: MADNESS
    This store is powered by MobiHand. I've heard no complaints re this particular new guy on the block. No clue how they handle upgrade downloads though.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS
    Now I just go to my bank's web site, pick "Download Transactions" and Microsoft Money just slurps it all in. Then, when I sync, it all goes into my Palm. No muss, no fuss. And no stylus or keyboard work to speak of. I love it.
    This, really is my dream scenario! - mvk
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS
    It was late and I missed your question about money managers, but I will add my voice to the Ultrasoft Money camp. I'm using Microsoft Money / Ultrasoft Money combination without problems.

Sure have come a long way since a few years ago. I remember having to enter all my transactions into my PC or Palm. Now I just go to my bank's web site, pick "Download Transactions" and Microsoft Money just slurps it all in. Then, when I sync, it all goes into my Palm. No muss, no fuss. And no stylus or keyboard work to speak of. I love it.
    I've also being doing this for years!
    I also wish for an upgrade to Ultrasoft Money that will support OTA downloads/transactions directly from/to the bank...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    OTA downloads: SplashMoney handles this as well. ... But the dang bank (Wachovia) charges extra for it. Weird, I can do the same thing thru the web interface, no charge. Go figure, eh?!
    More discounts: http://www.treomobile.com/ . 20% off software til April 14th. Code = TM20. Powered by Mobihand.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by {several}
    Discounts, promotional codes
    Does this call for a separate thread? sticky? It's there in some other forums.

- mvk
    Don't bother with the official version of Scrabble. It's a ripoff. Instead opt for the FREE clone called Crosswords. The home page is at:
    http://xwords.sourceforge.net/index.php

Benefits:

• Well, Crosswords is Open Source, so it's absolutely FREE!!!
    • Crosswords can have it's appearance customised
    • You can download numerous dictionaries for Crosswords, or make your own. With Scrabble, you are limited to one (which is awkward when you are English and get beaten by the computer using USA words http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...lies/frown.gif)
    • Crosswords can be played over Infra-red with up to 3 other Palms....FREE! With Scrabble you have to buy a new version for every Palm http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...milies/mad.gif
    • Crosswords supports Hi-Res 320x320 graphics. Scrabble doesn't.
    • Umm.....it's FREE (again)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    I buy from author sites whenever possible to avoid the 40-50% cut that goes to seller sites.

As for promo codes I doa yahoo search before buying anything.

There's also a few "deals" threads that I post in here on TC

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=107425
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=109776
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=108703

As for checking out what's popular / stable, I find these among the most useful indicators.

http://blog.treonauts.com/2006/01/top_100_the_ver.html
    http://trackerdog.a0soft.com/
    http://www.palmfocus.com/treo650software.php

As for individual comments on specific software titles I'd recommend a title search ehre in the forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast