1.    #1  
    I maintain Palm Desktop on my home and office computers (PCs), synchronizing with Treo 650 at home. The recommended way to do this is to set up the conduits so that I edit and synchronize on only one of the computers, and to set conduits so that handheld overwrites desktop on the "other" computer. But this means that I cannot edit on the "other" computer. My working hours are divided equally between home and office and this makes it very awkward. I want to be able to edit on both computers. I am willing to transport all necessary files on a USB memory key from one computer to the other each time I travel. What I need to know is -- what are the necessary files? The files in the M directory are not sufficient, there must be other files that I need to transfer between the two computers so that they are identical. Can someone help me with this?
    Hi jmshedden!

I have not done this, but I believe you are on the right track. Not sure what you mean by the M directory. I would think that that your userid folder (and all it's subfolders) under Program Files> Palm> would do the trick, but there is this nagging concern over creating a raft of duplicate entries in my mind.

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I use Key Suite to sync my 650 with Outlook on two PC's (work and home also). I have both conduits set to sync and have no problems editing on any of the three devices. I believe the trick was to set the handheld to overwrite the computer and they syncronize after that. Otherwise I would end up with doubles of everything. If that happens... do not fret. Just reset the conduits on the other computer to overwrite the handheld and you'll be back to normal and can try again.

Because the treo phone uses the native contacts for lookup, I also sync contacts with Outlook. Because the Contacts conduit syncs after the Key Suite conduits, when I make changes on the 650, I only make them in Key Suite. That way they sync to the computer and then sync to the 650 Contacts.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    You can sync to two computers with no problems. Just be sure of a couple of things:

Sync with computer A... all is good.
    Do a clean install of palm desktop on computer B.. create a phony user to start so nothing gets installed on the treo.
    Sync with computer B and allow it to create the new account. All set.

The only time you will have an issue is if the same record is changed on multiple devices before a hotsync. ie.. If you edit a contact on the treo and on the computer before a sync, there will be a conflict and the record will be duplicated. Otherwise you do not need to set the conduits to overwrite anything.
    I have done this syncing to outlook and palm desktop on up to 3 machines using windows, os x, palm desktop, outlook, and even entourage with no problems.

Good luck
    Hi guy, i was just setting up my Treo650 to bluetooth hotsync with my desktop and notebook. Now after reading the above....i figured that i may have missed out something. What do your mean by "Conduits"? Also....i always though that if i changed something on "A" then hotsync then go to "B" and hotsync...."B" will be the same as "A"....right?

Anybody here hotsync using Bluetooth on 2 PC? Do your sometimes face problems? For some reason, the hotsync sometimes don't start and i'm still trying to figure out why. Hope somebody knows of this problem.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks to all who replied. You've given me some ideas to try out.

In case it helps someone else, here's what I have been doing, which may be the problem (although I'm not sure why). I synchronize computers A and B by carrying a "changes" file between them on a USB key (including the Palm Desktop user directory, but not the directory where Palm is installed). For example, when I leave computer A, copy all changed files to UBS key and then copy them to computer B. Likewise when I leave computer B, copy all changed files to USB key and then copy them to computer A. This works great for everything except Palm Desktop.

I hotsync only with computer A, and the information on computer A and my treo is fine. I assumed that changes made to Palm Desktop from either computer would get properly copied back and forth, but the information shown in Palm Desktop on computer B gets confused. I first noticed that all the long term repeats (like birthdays, Mother's day, etc) were one day off, and then I noticed some repeated appointments were disappearing. But, copying the changed files from computer B back to computer A did NOT corrupt the Palm Desktop there, all the appointments were fine. This made me think that I am missing getting some of the critical files (which don't change on computer A so that is fine, but don't get copied properly to comptuer B which gets more and more confused).

Since my Palm user directory ("My Documents\Palm") is in a different location (not under the Palm installed directory which is "C:\Palm"), perhaps there are some files in the Palm installed directory that are critical. Or, perhaps as some of you have suggested, I just need to do that one "handheld overwrites desktop" on computer B, and all will be well from then on. I will try this.

Thank you!
  7.    #7  
    The conduits control how the files are synchronized. Go to the HotSync menu item and select "Custom". This will open the Conduit dialog box where you can set each conduit to either Synchronize the files, or Do nothing, or Handheld overwrites Desktop, or Desktop overwrites handheld. Select the file, click Change, and then you can select one of these options. If you do not check the Set as default box your changes will occur only for one HotSync, so be sure the check that box if you want your changes to be the default.
    Last edited by jmshedden; 03/19/2006 at 11:05 AM. Reason: To add addressee's name
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    I Sync via bluetooth on the 2 PC's and via cable on my iBook
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I am in a similar boat. It would be great if my admin. assistant could update my calendar and have a fairly recent copy of my calendar. She does not need anything else off my Treo.

It seems like I could use the Palm software that came with my Treo to sync my Treo with Outlook on my computer and my calendar only on Outlook my AA's computer. Any possible problems with this?
    Safety and happiness can only come from individuals, classes, and nations being honest and fair and kind to each other.
    - C.S. Lewis
    Quote Originally Posted by jmshedden
    The conduits control how the files are synchronized. Go to the HotSync menu item and select "Custom". This will open the Conduit dialog box where you can set each conduit to either Synchronize the files, or Do nothing, or Handheld overwrites Desktop, or Desktop overwrites handheld. Select the file, click Change, and then you can select one of these options. If you do not check the Set as default box your changes will occur only for one HotSync, so be sure the check that box if you want your changes to be the default.
    Thanx
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by 4ster
    I am in a similar boat. It would be great if my admin. assistant could update my calendar and have a fairly recent copy of my calendar. She does not need anything else off my Treo.

It seems like I could use the Palm software that came with my Treo to sync my Treo with Outlook on my computer and my calendar only on Outlook my AA's computer. Any possible problems with this?
    I think this should be possible. You could just set the conduits to "do nothing" for everything except the calendar.

I have given up trying to synchronize Palm Desktop the way I sync the rest of the files on my computer every day. I'm using AJC Directory Synchronizer (which seems to work GREAT) to keep my office and home computers synchronized every day. But it doesn't work for Palm Desktop! The calendar gets screwed up (as I described earlier in this thread). So I've had to resort to doing double synchronizations every time I leave home or office: I synchronize using HotSync between my Treo650 and Desktop on both computers, and I use AJC for everything else. I'm not sure why this is necessary, but Palm files don't get copied correctly. Perhaps there is information in the Windows Registry that is needed to copy as well?

In any case, HotSync seems to be working fine on the two computers, which is interesting because the Palm web site advises not to do it that way.
    For example, on this site (search with keywords "two computers" if the link doesn't work) they say that "If you attempt to do a two-way synchronization with both computers, your data can become confused. " Which seem to be clearly wrong -- it is working fine for me (and for Swagner in this thread who suggested that I try it -- thanks Swagner).
    http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,kb=PalmSupportKB,CASE=obj(29452),ts=Palm_External2001
    I use Yahoo Calendar and Intellisync for Yahoo to sync everything up between work, personal laptop, and phone. It also allows people to see as much or as little of my schedule as I wish to publish.

So I only physically sync my Treo to my personal laptop, but that's because I'm lazy more than anything else. You could obviously extend this to as many computers as you'd like.

Steve
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    If you have gotten Yahoo/Intellesync to work you are a lucky, lucky man. Many people, including myself, have had many problems with lost or duplicated data.
    Safety and happiness can only come from individuals, classes, and nations being honest and fair and kind to each other.
    - C.S. Lewis