Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    What are the benefits of reducing the ROM size? Do you get the freed space back as useable RAM?

Damon
    This is an SD update that will get your partition to 9.8 and load the 1.13APR ROM.

1- Backup data
    2- Download http://rapidshare.de/files/16150897/...e_rom.zip.html
    3- Extract two folders from archive to root of SD. (Should be \Palm \ROM) If a Palm dir exists rename it.
    4- Connect Power to Treo
    5- Insert SD card
    6- Tap on ROMUpdaterApp
    7- type:
    cvt2{enter}
    ace{enter}
    8- Hard reset when Prompted
    9- Restore data

This will put the 1.13 ROM on your Treo, It will not change the radio firmware. It will also not update the tokens for software version. (IE Phone Info) You will need to manually do that with the RomTool.

Change
    revn = 1.13
    Last edited by jamesgangut; 03/22/2006 at 11:29 AM.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by pureinstinct93
    What are the benefits of reducing the ROM size? Do you get the freed space back as useable RAM?

Damon
    Yes
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

But is it better to reduce the ROM size to free up additional RAM or to leave the ROM size the same (after removing apps) to increase dbcache size and therefore system stability?
    Quote Originally Posted by pureinstinct93
    But is it better to reduce the ROM size to free up additional RAM or to leave the ROM size the same (after removing apps) to increase dbcache size and therefore system stability?
    Best Answer:
    Quote Originally Posted by mmastrac
    Always use the smallest ROM updater that just fits your ROM size.

Your DB cache is calculated approximately as:

32MB - size of uncompressed ROM - 5440kB (dynamic RAM size). Use this to figure out what your DBCache size will be.

Your available NVFS storage is calculated as:

32MB - size of ROM partition (fixed by the ROM uploader).

Use this as a guide to calculate approximately how much space your ROM will take. I'll add this stuff to a future version of the ROM tool to help people out.

The "wasted space" is just non-volatile space that isn't used for anything. You want to minimize wasted space by using the smallest ROM partition size, not by adding things to your ROM.

Do I have to have a USB Hotsync Cable/Cradle with a hotsync button in order to update the ROM? I have a retractable model without a button.

How will I know how small to make my custom ROM partition, after I remove apps?
    Looks I like I do, from the Step-by-Step ROM Tool.pdf.
    For RomTool yes you need hotsync button.

Once you have you rom made convert it to a ZIP the size of those two files is what you go by. To change you ROM Partition you have to use SD method. After your ROM partition is there you can in future just use ROMTool.

Where can I find info on the SD method? It is only referenced in the Step-by-Step ROM Tool.pdf.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12