1.    #1  
    I'm getting close to having a first pass at a Mac ROM tool (ported to Java from the original .NET ROM tool I wrote). The only problem is that I don't have either a Mac box or Mac cross-compiling experience.

The only real missing piece from the whole Mac ROM tool is a USB pseudo-driver using libusb that will talk to the device. I've read that libusb does have support for Mac OSX and I have an adapter working under Linux, but I'll need to connect the pieces together and get it working somehow for all you Mac users out there.

What I need is someone with a Mac that is able to either:

- provide me command-line access to figure these things out, or
    - has development experience enough to compile the bits themselves, or
    - buys me a mac (j/k)

Also, if someone has experience with packaging Java applications for the Mac, I would appreciate some pointers for where to look for information.

Basically, my plan is to make the future version of the ROM tool fully supported on Windows, Mac OSX and Linux, not leaving anyone out in the cold. I'm also hoping to learn a bit about Mac OSX coding/packaging - something that I have absolutely no experience with so far.
    If you want command line access to my mac, you're very welcome although I can't really help with the dev type stuff as I'm not a programmer.
    CHeers, James
    Hi mmastrac,

I have highlighted your post to a Mac developer that I am in touch with and I hope he can help you out. ( No promise though as I do not know if he codes in Java )

Hope you can get this tool out soon and thanks for the good work
    Hi mmastrac

Below is the speedy reply from the Jan ( info@mootjelitt.se from www.mootjelitt.com)

---------

While I teach Java I don't make any Java programs for the Mac, but I should be able to answer a few questions:

> > I'm getting close to having a first pass at a Mac ROM tool (ported to
    > > Java from the original .NET ROM tool I wrote). The only problem is
    > > that I don't have either a Mac box or Mac cross-compiling experience.

Does the app have a GUI or is it a command line tool? In any case you can at
    the most basic level put the application in a jar file and launch it in the
    usual way. However, the GUI tends to look a bit strange if you just use a
    generic jar file. To get a better GUI there are some things you can do to
    improve the user experience ... but I'm no expert to I'll point you to the
    following page
    <http://developer.apple.com/>
    <http://developer.apple.com/java/>

This is where you should find all information you need. I also suggest
    looking through the Java-Dev mailing list
    <http://lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo/java-dev> and ask specific questions
    there.

As for distributing an application, as I said you can just distribute a jar
    file but it's nicer if you make it a "real" OS X application and as far as I
    know the easiest way to do this is to use the Apple IDE X-Code (free).

---------

HTH

Let me know if you need help with anything.
  6.    #6  
    Hey guys - thanks for the offers of help. Basically, the Mac ROM tool is going to be a native-looking application that uses SWT (from the eclipse project). That way I can code a GUI on all three major platforms without changing a line of code.

The only native code that I'll need to compile is a small program that uses libusb to talk to the device.

Can anyone willing to offer command-line access to their Mac or development help email me at matthew - at - mastracci.com? Once I have the USB program up and running, it's just a matter of making sure that I can talk to it properly.
    So hows it comming along??
    Still need the shell I set up for you?

Thanks,
    Peter