1.    #1  
    I managed to get a broken Handspring Treo 300 for free. The lid was broken off and dangling by the speaker wires. It came with absolutely nothing besides the PDA, not even a stylus. I wanted to use it just for the PDA part.

I started by opening up. I then removed the battery and cut the battery wires in half. I stripped the ends of the connector wires, connected them to my power supply and set it to 3.625 volts.

When I turned on the power supply, nothing happened for a few seconds. Then the screen turned on and I saw a 'Palm Powered' logo for a few seconds, then it disappeared and the screen turned off. Each time I disconnected and reconnected power, it would do this.

I observed that the power LED didn't turn on during any of this. After turning on power, I held down the power switch and pushed the reset button, which gave me the same 'Palm Powered' screen for a few seconds.

Is there any diagnostics I can do to the unit? It seems that it might be turning off due to detecting something is wrong?

Note that I am running the Palm with the case open. I attached the antenna with a clip lead, the only thing disconnected is the vibrator.

A USB IrDA adapter (for hotsyncing, hopefully) is in the mail.

EDIT: I think I managed to get in a diagnostic mode or whatever by resetting and holding the bottom scroll key. I remember reading this someplace else on the forums, but can no longer find it. I get to a black screen with a white line on the very top of the screen about half the screen's width. Was there a sound test I could do from there or something?

The 'Palm Powered' screen stays on for varying amounts of time, from 10 seconds to a brief flash.
    Last edited by TD-Linux; 03/18/2006 at 12:02 PM.
    If there was a way you could power the Treo via it's "Charger port" or via it's own battery we might have a better idea if this problem is because the Treo is fried or if it just isn't getting the correct power...

Can you charge/connect the Treo battery to the PDA and see what happens?
  3.    #3  
    Eeee... I've forgotten to check here for nearly two months!
    Unfortunately, I do not have anything but the treo, so I cannot charge the battery. The voltmeter shows precisely zero volts on the battery, which leads me to wonder if the battery is good at all. Of course, it dosen't matter, because I am using a power supply wired in place of the battery.

The longer I leave the treo powered off, the longer the palmpowered splash screen stays. I can also initiate it by any of the resets. After it disappears, holding down the power button does nothing. I have held it down for 30 seconds with no luck.

The power light never turns on.

I now have the IrDA adapter, that I hope to use to hotsync with it if possible.

I read somewhere that there was a debug mode that could run diagnostics on the whole system (notably sound), does that work for the Treo 270/300? I can't seem to find it anywhere, so I don't know how to activate it.
    I'm probably wrong here, but I remember when I tried replacing a battery with a power supply when building a robot, that the motors would lock up if the analog controller was to moved too quickly. I found that this occured because of the limitations of a power supply. A battery can supply a variable amount of current on demand for a period of time, a power supply generally cannot. On a smaller scale, if the Treo does something which exercises many parts, then it will require more current from the battery, something the power supply limits. Just a guess...

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TD-Linux
    Eeee... I've forgotten to check here for nearly two months!
    Unfortunately, I do not have anything but the treo, so I cannot charge the battery. The voltmeter shows precisely zero volts on the battery, which leads me to wonder if the battery is good at all. Of course, it dosen't matter, because I am using a power supply wired in place of the battery.

The longer I leave the treo powered off, the longer the palmpowered splash screen stays. I can also initiate it by any of the resets. After it disappears, holding down the power button does nothing. I have held it down for 30 seconds with no luck.

The power light never turns on.

I now have the IrDA adapter, that I hope to use to hotsync with it if possible.

I read somewhere that there was a debug mode that could run diagnostics on the whole system (notably sound), does that work for the Treo 270/300? I can't seem to find it anywhere, so I don't know how to activate it.
    I hardly ever check here any more, any way if you are still haveing problems let me know I might be able to find the software and the charger cable for the 300.
    Terry