Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Are there any treonauts using their Treo without 3th party apps? I new to Treo and I wonder if it really is necessary to use 3th party. Isn't the software on the Treo sufficient enough? Best regards! Hans
    Depends on what you want to do with it. If you just want a phone and calendar then, no, thirth party apps are not necessary but they do make certain things easier like looking up contacts, etc.

I've used them for so long I can't remember what my Treo was like without thirth party apps.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    IMHO, the Treo is probably best for heavy Palm users who converge to get rid of also lugging around a separate phone.

If you don't have a need for 3rd party apps then you will not be leveraging the power of your Treo but that's absolutely OK. In fact, without 3rd party apps your Treo will certainly be more stable and suffer less or no random resets. When I bought my Treo a year ago I was on a 2 week trip to Los Angeles/Las Vegas (so I could not sync any 3rd party apps) and it didn't suffer a single reset for those 2 weeks. I used it with my TMo SIM.
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
  4.    #4  
    As I said I am totally new to pda in general and palm in specific. So I think the best way to learn the skill and the machine is to do it step by step, in first place without 3th party apps. Once I know how things work I can see what my specific needs are and look for solutions.
    Best regards, fine weekend! Hans (Belgium)
    Quote Originally Posted by mdpr1
    As I said I am totally new to pda in general and palm in specific. So I think the best way to learn the skill and the machine is to do it step by step, in first place without 3th party apps. Once I know how things work I can see what my specific needs are and look for solutions.
    Best regards, fine weekend! Hans (Belgium)
    That's a smart move.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    That's a smart move.
    Ditto.
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    I agree with the doggie above, the Treo can be what you want it to be.

Do you want to be able to drive to an unknown destination and have maps scolling on screen pinpointing your location via GPS and being voice fed directions to your destination ?

Do you want to be able to look up phoen numbers easily thru Directory Assistant ?

Do you want to track Nutrition and Exercise info ?

Do you want to carry ebooks to read on planes / trains ?

Do you want to be able to play games, watch movie shorts from places like funnyjink.com

Do you wanna track business expenses ?

Do you want to maintain databases of info ?

Have you added any prograsm to your PC that didn't come with Windows ? Well whatever you doing on windows, with few exceptions, you can do on the Treo.
    Actually there are so many online resources nowadays (many of which are in mobile format) that I could probably get by without 3rd party apps most of the time. I could just use the web instead of a 3rd party app. Some of the 3rd party apps just do it so well, like Directory Assistant for example.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    As far as possible I try not to use 3rd party apps. If the built in app does 80% of what I need then I use it. The potential instability of 3rd party apps is just not worth it. Right now I'm down to 3 non-native apps and I'm trying to see if I can pare it down further.
    Tracker Dog reports that I have 72 apps on my Treo...has between 16 and 19 MB free depending how I "run" any particular day. Many of those apps ...probably a third to one half are native, either in ROM of off the CD. If the native apps serve, then no need to augment. But if ya got something that ain't happenin on ya Treo ... or somethin that greatly enhances its use, than the 3rd party app can be great. And this will vary between users. The idea of spending $40 on an MP3 player for example is something I find ridiculous considering that's about 3 times what the sound system on the Treo costs but in a poll here on TC, PocketTunes was considered peeps "most needed" application.....so I am the "weirdo" here. OTOH, I consider Time Manager Pad "essential" as I find my calendar far more useful if I can fit 2-3 times more info on screen or within tap or 2 away. World clock is nice if you are happy with 1 alarm, but I relish the convenience of having the Treo turn its phone radio on and off on different weekday / weekend schedules as well as waking me up on 3 differt schedules so I use Treo Alarm. Now with these 72 programs (1.3 Gigs of stuff on SD card ... and that w/ just one mp3 and about 4 movie shorts), I have zero rest issues, zero performance issues.

The Treo can run stable with a lot of programs on it. It's when you want to:

1. Use prgrams that want large amounts of memory to perform repeated tasks in background
    2. Modify many system settings with multiple programs sometimes accessing same system calls.

....that you have problems.

My only "precaution" is that if I am intending to use Tom,Tom and I haven't reset the Treo in the last week or so, I will either flush the cache or reset from the screen icon before launching TomTom. The reset is easier while driving as I just tap the mReset screen icon and then launch TT. To flush the cache, I'd need to use the 5 way for a few taps and eyes best left on the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Tracker Dog reports that I have 72 apps on my Treo...
    Just like you have seen in other incarnations of windows, you will find that microsoft includes more and more functionality with each new version. If you dont have windows, and you still expect that functionality, expect to buy and install 72 apps.
    World clock is nice if you are happy with 1 alarm, but I relish the convenience of having the Treo turn its phone radio on and off on different weekday / weekend schedules as well as waking me up on 3 differt schedules so I use Treo Alarm.
    Just for noob reference, I'm doing the radio thing with Profiles for free. And you can use the Calendar app to wake you up at a different time each day, again for free. I like free.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    how do u watch movie from online?????
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    I had that same attitude when I purchased mine a year ago. What I really wanted was a phone that I could keep my contacts in, e.g. sync with outlook contacts database. Use as a phone first! As a plus, I envisioned using the internet to do useful things, like finding out a phone number or when a movie was playing, or checking emai.

Well, I found out it was hard to use internet at those speeds to get this info, so I found this tremendous app, Directory Assistant, that is great for doing this.

Then when I travel, I found that I could convert my phone in a DUN service with PDANET.

Then, since I am a sailor, I found another fantastic app, TideTool, which gives me local tide and current info. Further, I found another app that turns the treo into a chartplotter if I purchased a bluetooth GPS!

I still use real player for music as that does the job I need for playing music, and still use the default mail client and browser as I find them suitable for my needs.

The great thing about the Treo is you can use it as a phone primarily (as I do), as a PDA primarily (as many do), or combo of both with your custom apps (which is really the reason to have this device)!
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Just like you have seen in other incarnations of windows, you will find that microsoft includes more and more functionality with each new version. If you dont have windows, and you still expect that functionality, expect to buy and install 72 apps.
    I don't think I can agree with "more and more functionality", more and more misery and difficulty would be more like it. I have no interest in all the junk they added....more bloat and more headaches. Internet Exploder, Lookout, MediaPlayer, crippled backup and defrag utilities....don't use 'em, don't want 'em. To me the most striking thing about each new MS OS is that is substantially slower on the same hardware than its predecessor. We first saw this in 1995 when we found out we needed a Pentium 90 to match the speed of a 486/66 running W4WGS...."new and improved" meant 40% slower (Ref. ....internal NEPC comparison on identical laptops, PC magazine 100 PC roundup Dec 1995). To use Vista w/ aeroglass, a 128MB vid card becomes the minimum.

As for buying, I have bought the following:

Backup Program - Bought one for Windows too
    PowerRUN - Comes witH SAN device
    Treo Alarm - Bought one for Windows too
    Unintsall Manager - Bought one for Windows too
    CleanUp - Bought one for Windows too
    Scheduling Program - has desktop component also purchased for Windows
    Nutrition & Exercise Program - has desktop component also purchased for Windows
    Voice Activation Software - Bought one for Windows too
    Two games - bought many more for windows

I gota about $100 worth of programs I guess not counting games. The windows equivalents costs me several times that.

OTOH, the list of programs for which we are forced to either obtain site licenses for or thankfully, download free, just to cover windows shortcomings is voluminous:

SiSoft Utilities
    Diskeeper
    F-Prot
    Ad-Aware
    Spybot
    Spyware Blaster
    XP-AntiSpy
    Zone Alarm
    Space Dolphin
    PowerDesk
    SystemSuite
    Partition Magic
    DriveImageMike Lin's Start Up Control Panel
    ConfigSafe
    FreshDownload
    TweakUI
    SysInternals (half dozen apps)
    SpinRite
    Giant Antispyare (now MS Beta)
    CS Shredder
    Secure Alternative to IE
    Secure Alternative to Outlook
    Numerous DRM Workarounds

I can't wait for the problems we'll see with cable TV cards. But 13 months after starting with this device I have had 0 issues other than Windows losing the USB connection, hardly an issue compared to what th world has dubbed MS ActiveStink. And certainly far less to deal with than any Windows box I own or maintain. That's the beauty of Palm ... "minimalism" .... you can have what ya want .... and unlike MS ... only what you want.
    I don't think I can agree with "more and more functionality", more and more misery and difficulty would be more like it. I have no interest in all the junk they added....more bloat and more headaches. Internet Exploder, Lookout, MediaPlayer, crippled backup and defrag utilities....don't use 'em, don't want 'em.
    I am a Microsoft developer. I dont have an interest in getting in depth on any of these simplified over generalizations. Suffice it to say, your ideas and opinions are on the EXTREME fringe, and are contradicted in the marketplace, and will continue to be.

To me the most striking thing about each new MS OS is that is substantially slower on the same hardware than its predecessor.
    Huh? You're not supposed to run in on the same hardware. I'm not sure if you noticed but PC hardware improves every year. Nobody told you to install Windows XP on your 386. And in fact you wont even be doing the same types of tasks on your 3 ghz machine that you were on your 33Mhz machine. That's really pretty silly. Again, you are in the extreme minority.

...That's the beauty of Palm ... "minimalism" .... you can have what ya want .... and unlike MS ... only what you want.
    You can on your 650 jack, but you know as well as I do that good bad or otherwise, Palm OS's days are numbered.
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    I am a Microsoft developer. I dont have an interest in getting in depth on any of these simplified over generalizations. Suffice it to say, your ideas and opinions are on the EXTREME fringe, and are contradicted in the marketplace, and will continue to be.
    I already knew your bias. It's evident in your mere presence here for thye sole purpose of trashing a product you dont even use. I am reminded of the OS/2 forum trolls who sat in Redmond trolling the boards pumping their product. Not that I used OS/2 but it was fun reading about when the press exposed them.

Over generalizations ? MS does not recommend you add AV programs ? AntiSyware Programs, Adware programs ? Who but MS would have the gaul to charge $50 a year for "protection" from the holes they leave in their own OS ?

Find me all those independent security sites that does not recommend replacing OL and IE with more secure alternatives. Autoexecuting file attachments has got to be the biggest bonehead idea of all time.

Nobody told you to install Windows XP on your 386. And in fact you wont even be doing the same types of tasks on your 3 ghz machine that you were on your 33Mhz machine. That's really pretty silly. Again, you are in the extreme minority.
    Let's get back in reality mode ok ? I know its difficult but no such suggestion was made. The post refernced replacing W4WGs with Win95 which today would be akin to replacing XP with Vista today. Corporate America spent $2500 - $4500 per box to do the upgrade and as each machine was replaced, they found themselves going slower....rwl nice ROI Bill gave corporate America on that one. We were in the process of providing employees with new laptops at the time and here were our choices:

New Toshiba Tecra Desktop Replacement w/ W4WGs - tested at 63 Winstone
    New Toshiba Tecra Desktop Replacement w/ Win95 - tested at 45 Winstone

Couldn't buy NT4 preloaded on laptops at the time so we ran W4WGs on Toshiba's highest end laptop available at the time and we ran it 40% faster than it could run Win95. To be fair, PC Magazines 100+ PC desktop round up only found a difference of 37% in favor of W4WGs. This Xmas you will have the opportunity to buy a brand new machine with Vista or XP and the XP will knock the socks of anything with Vista on it.

I have dual boot machines running XP and Win2k and there's a world of difference in performance. My son's run XP on new games that require it goes back to Win2k when he wants to crank in a fragfest.

As I watch Bill fidget when he talks about the $100 laptop, I have to wonder whose days are numbered. MS is starting to look like the 800 pound gorilla IBM was in the 1970s ... about to crumble under its own weight.
    All I can say is wow....this thread is hot.

IMO.. the treo without the 3rd party apps is ok...your just not maximizing it's potential.
    Good analogy above...it's like getting a computer and only working with the programs that come out of the box...yeah you could do it...but it's so much more fun to take advantage of all the powerful tools out there.
    IMO,
    all of the many and vaired palm apps are the icing on the cake, the bling-bling that makes it all fun.
    found a new one today, chime, that I am LOVING....
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Who but MS would have the gaul to charge $50 a year for "protection" from the holes they leave in their own OS ? Find me all those independent security sites that does not recommend replacing OL and IE with more secure alternatives.
    Jack, where can i begin? No offense, there is really no way I can talk to you about software security, as if you were my peer. I work with some of those independed software sites you speak of almost weekly, and many of them actually might as well send us a pre printed list of catch phrases (many of the same ones you use) because there is no way they could have actually even looked at the application. Some of them were warning us about sql injection on an n-tier, 100% strongly typed, enterprise application, where the web server is not even on the same network as the task servers or the sql server.

I already knew your bias. It's evident in your mere presence here for thye sole purpose of trashing a product you dont even use..
    Jack, take another look at your posts, and where you are posting them. Then take a look at my signature, and ask yourself who is here to be bitter. I'm actually looking in to developing some of the applications that you are reminding us about in your trolling through the 700w forum.

As I watch Bill fidget when he talks about the $100 laptop, I have to wonder whose days are numbered. MS is starting to look like the 800 pound gorilla IBM was in the 1970s ... about to crumble under its own weight.
    Lol, your right Jack. I stand corrected, your extreme ideas are not out on the fringe. You are right, Palm OS is here to stay, and Windows is on its way out. Microsoft's days are numbered.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast