1.    #1  
    I'm trying out Verichat, after getting a little frustrated with some stuff Chatopus is doing. I'm impressed, it's an excellent program, the popup messages from other buddies while chatting with one is great, the interface makes a lot of sense, well laid out, etc..

I do have a curious question though.. I am just putting the phone down and either turning it off, or letting it go off on its own (I'm using HandyAid so the backlight turns off in 15s anyway but later I'll go to send an IM or something and I hit the Power button to turn on the Treo, and instead of being in Verichat, I'm in ZLauncher.

This has happened 5-6 times today, but I have yet to see it happen (ie: flip to ZLauncher while I'm watching it) but it seems to happen after the device has been off for a few minutes.. I'm not sure what is going on. It's not a huge deal, but it's annoying.

Anyone else ever seen this? I think I'm using 2.89b, latest version.
  2.    #2  
    BTW, no, I don't have "exit verichat on power off" turned on. I just noticed that option today.

Nobody else has noticed this?
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    Do you have other apps which might be waking up periodically?
  4.    #4  
    Not really.. Nothing else has ever does this type of behavior.. If I idle in the Messaging ap, next I turn it on it's still there.
    Verichat does that to me too, but I'm not using a launcher program. Has prompted me to look elsewhere as my license is almost up.
  6.    #6  
    Doesn't really bother me too much, I've been trialing it for a few days now.. It might be a good thing, as when it's out of Verichat it eventually disconnects the data, and I have it in always-on SMS mode.

Although my wife says that she often sees me as being offline, when I should be online. :-/
    What version of VeriChat are you using? I was having the same issue until I switched to 2.89. I think it's probably a good thing though. One thing I noticed with the newer version, is that even when you're in Verichat, the data connection isn't always active(which I think is how it was before...not really sure though), which is pretty cool. It still occasionally crashes my Treo, however, which is really disappointing as this app is killer in pretty much every other department. I've been recently looking at Causerie(mainly because it supports GoogleTalk), and I like it, but it's UI is inferior and it wasn't getting along with ChatterEmail very well(it caused the data connection to NEVER go inactive, which obviously resulted in massive battery drain)...
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    I was just thinking, wouldn't it be cool if there was an option akin to 'don't go into background mode while charging' or something like that? I'm beginning to understand why people sometimes refer to Verichat as 'Vericrash'...

I guess I'll look at a few other options
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
  9.    #9  
    My VeriChat is very very stable, I haven't had a single crash out of it, I'm very impressed with that.

Unfortunately it won't fscking stay online! (Set to online mode, SMS mode) I finally set up an MSN and Yahoo account separate from my normal ones and sat them on my desktop with my mobile accounts in their buddy list and turned on full logging so I can see when they go online, idle, offline, etc. So far every 3-4 hours my mobile accounts go offline for no reason. And don't come back online until I launch VeriChat again. I even tried sending messages to the mobile accounts to see if I'd get an SMS.. Nothing..

I was at least able to receive an 'offline' message from my Yahoo account, I'm not sure if that's a VeriChat feature or just something Yahoo does. When I launched VeriChat I got the message I sent from the desktop.
    It's weird the problems people have. You've had problems with Chatter, which is very stable for the vast majority of users, yet Verichat(AKA Vericrash) hasn't crashed on you once. My Verichat always shows me as online. I used to get messages like "Don't you ever sleep?" and "Do you just sit in front of your computer all day or what?", as a matter of fact. Which brings me to another point. I can't get my custom status to stick unless I'm actively online it seems. I'm not entirely sure about that though, and I think I'll use your method to find out. I've demoed several chat clients lately, and the best one that support either Jabber or GoogleTalk(which is what I'm looking for, on top of the other main ones) is definitlely Causerie. It isn't as slick and intuitive as Verichat, but it's arguably more functional. The only thing that's keeping me from pulling the trigger at this point, is that for some reason(I think it's Chatter related) when I keep it running in the background via SMS notification, it likes to keep the data connection active, negating the whole SMS aspect.
  11.    #11  
    Yep, very weird stuff...

BTW, I like Chatopus for Jabber, but VeriChat is just plain slick.. Although the going offline thing is very annoying. I started a post about that specifically to see if anyone else sees that as well. After my wife saying I was always offline when she wanted to send me a message (just letting the phone idle offline, but in online SMS mode at work on my desk while I do stuff) I looked into it more.. Disconnects every 6-8 hours it seems..
    I tried Chatopus recently. The UI is just really unintuitive. Verichat is the slickest and most intuitive...hands-down. I just wish it were a little more stable(I can deal with it's stability as-is, however), and supported Jabber/GoogleTalk. The Jabber/GoogleTalk support is really important to me because my significant other is in the hospital receiving long drawn-out treatments, and when she occasionally gets to visit the library she can't use typical IM programs because they aren't installed on the computers nor can she install them. But with GoogleTalk, it's integrated into Gmail. All she needs is a web browser. That's also why the background operation is important, because I never know when she might be able to get online, and I don't want to have to stay tethered to my computer all the time.
    Interesting to read the comments on intuitive vs not intuitive wrt Causerie and Verichat. I've always preferred the Causerie UI because is looks like a regular Desktop IM client like Trillian...but haven't seen verichat in a while so maybe things have changed in regards to how buddies are grouped (in Causerie I use the option where only online users are shown by group with group counts).
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  14.    #14  
    scotty, I don't know if it's new or not, but Verichat has three views.. One a grouped view where you see groups and can collapse/expand each or all groups. Grouped view + Offline buddies. And a third that's just online or offline.

I use the grouped view as I have too many contacts and a lot of them are using 3-4 different IM services, so lots of my friends would take up 3-4 lines each. I move all but one contact into another group, so if say they prefer AIM, but it's down or they're offline on it, I could contact them on MSN perchance, etc..
    Yeah Scotty, you can set up Verichat to to use almost the same exact file tree-ish system as Causerie(with one click, actually). I prefer the standard view myself. I don't have a whole lot of contacts, so it's nice to see eveyone who's online in one big window regardless of their IM service.