1.    #1  
    Hello all,

I signed on with cingular last week with the refurbished Palm treo 650.

i used to have a Palm Vx back 6 years ago.. and loved it.. used it for a good 3 years.

Ok, anyways, back to the phone. Got the refurb on Tuesday.

Tuesday I checked the mins used it said 500.. so I was very happy to be getting a almost new phone. Well.. I made a couple of calls and the sound quality was terrible.. but terrible. I plugged in the headphone jack, and it had a crackling sound when I moved the headphone jack around. I was kinda pissed, but thought that I should be expecting much since palm is really a PDA company.. so I thought to myself that I would live with it. Ok, come wednesday, the light wouldnt turn on on my phone.. it would flash on and off.. thats when I decided to return it.

Ok, I called cingular and they sent me a new refurb phone. Got it today, checked the mins.. it has 5000. Ok, the keyboard seems a little more loose than my first phone.. ok, no big deal. The pen didnt fit right.. so I exchanged the pen with the first unit. I used the phone to make some calls and the sound quality was tons better.. sounds muuch better. I just had 1 problem recently, it went into its sleep mode (the screen is off and the light activity light is on in green) and I couldnt get it out of sleep mode.. couldnt turn it on. I called my own cell phone and it went straight into my mailbox. I called again and it finally rang. OK, Im going to try this phone over the weekend and if it gives me any problems I will send it back.

I have now been playing around with these phones and Im really really liking them. I get all my work email, personal email, calendar etc, and when I commute on rail to my house from work I can web browse and do all the things that I like.

What do I need to do to get a perfect phone? I am thinking about sending this one back and purchasing a brand new one. ultimately it will cost me 180 Dollars more, but I am strating to think that its worth it. Or do you guys think I should just get another refurb?

Ahh.. I really like this phone, but dissapointed with the quality.

(i posted this on another forum, thought it be more appropriate here)
    WOw... I bought myself a NEW T650 but only because I DID not want a 2yr contract i chose the ebay route...

YOU should expect the PHONE to work as new... or as close to it as possible.
    TRY it out but keep exchanging it until you are completely satisfied.
    UNLESS you feel it's not worth this hassle... then get a NEW T650.

Hope it works out.

Back-up regularly, and INSTALL software carefully. SEARCH here for compatible software... the more obscure or the more full-featured (background apps, customization... beware of conflicts).

The phone IMO is a beauty. I am using the PDA parts of it to the max... and it's working out, though I will get a reset here and there... but I KNOW it's my fault and not the phone's itself...

I HOPE It works out...
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    how do you tell the minutes used on a phone you get that is refurbished?
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Did they make you get a data plan?
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Palm tech support are terrible.
    I spoke to a few reps. All of them are indian and they sound the same and very hard to understand. They keep repeating the same exact thing over and over.
    The refurb i got today has 8500 on it so dont feel too bad.
    Made this just for fun...I'm Kermit

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Camel
    Palm tech support are terrible.
    I spoke to a few reps. All of them are indian and they sound the same and very hard to understand. They keep repeating the same exact thing over and over.
    The refurb i got today has 8500 on it so dont feel too bad.
    What condition was it in? Any hardware problems?
    I will probably buy a refurb from Cingular some time this week.
    I got a refurb 650 from Cingular a couple of weeks ago, and so far no problems, other than the low volume everyone complains about. VolumeCare fixed that. Also, the BT volume is low, still looking for a fix for that one.

I dialed #*786 using the phone (phone on) and the Life Timer says 1860 minutes. Like I said I've had it two weeks and have been using it a LOT.

no troubles yet...
    how do you tell with a refurbished verizon phone the usage ? Thanks!
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Dang it! They are not offering referbs on their website now. How often do they offer refurbs? Might I still have luck in a Brick and Morter store?
    Lifetime minutes:

On a CDMA phone (Verizon, Sprint), from the phone, hit ##786 and then dial.

On a GSM phone (Cingular), from the phone, hit #*786 and then dial.
    For what it's worth, I have 7000 minutes on my Treo (I bought it new) and everything works perfectly. The keyboard is fine, sound quality is fine (thanks to VolumeCare originally, and 1.20 update now), and my headphone jack has no problems whatsoever.

This is mere speculation and general paranoia, but sometimes I think the support people that get back returned phones look at them, say "this one's fine" and throw it in the "refurbished" bin.

If your unit has problems, I'd definitly return it for another one; and, to *me*, the $180 would be worth paying to get a brand new unit instead, as long as spending the $180 wouldn't keep me from buying groceries or paying bills.

All IMHO. YMMV. Member FDIC.
  12.    #12  
    well I've been using it now for 4 days.. and I have not had that problem I had the first day. The phone has been perfect. I hope it stays this way. If I notice any glitches in the next 2 weeks Ill exchange it for a new one.

I heard that if you buy a new one.. and there is a defect they send you a refurb back.. So.. hmmm.