Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    does anyone know how to use the treo 650 for XM satellite radio? Thanks.....
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Um... Duct tape it to a Roady XT? I'm not aware of any way to use a Treo for receiving XM programming. The smallest XM receiver I know of is bigger than a Treo.
    The only way I've heard is the "Have your home PC stream it onto the internet with Shoutcast and then pick it up on your Treo with Ptunes Deluxe" method.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Well, I have the "turn your Roady 2 into a portable XM radio" thing - you insert the Roady 2 into a sleeve that has a recharegable battery, and special headphones with the satellite antenna in the headband. Rather clunky, but it works.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    ok enough with the corny stuff.
    it cant be done.
    Made this just for fun...I'm Kermit

Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I got that Roady 2 thing as well and as nice as it is, I would rather be able to stream XM on my Treo. I will just have to wait till PalmOS has some streaming wma support ( fat luck of that happening ) or get a 700w, which might just be the easist way to do it, if XM is really that important.
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    I hadn't thought about XM Online. That makes a lot more sense.
    Yeah, the 700 has the ability to do streaming XM online... I'd reeeeeeeeeeeeeally like to be able to do this, but not at the expense of giving up my 650... I'm hoping someone comes out with a program to do just this. Thanks for the post transam...
    pTunes really needs to add .wma to the list.
    List of what? I'm sure it supports it already.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I believe that pTunes supports wma but its the streaming that it doesn't support. This is what I've gotten from my understanding anyway. XM and Siruis both us streaming wma files, if they either switched to a more common format or pTunes was able to support it or some other app to support the wma streaming we would be in business, its not the hardware its the wma file. Good Luck to anyone who wants to try it, thats for sure.
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    List of what? I'm sure it supports it already.
    Sorry, wma streaming.
    As far as I know you can only do this with Windows Media Player. I use it on my 6700 to get my Sirius now. I'll miss it though cause after 5 months I'm selling the 6700 on fleabay and going back to my 650. I tried really hard for five full months but the usability on the 6700 is nowhere near the 650.
    Scraps of paper>>Back of my hand>>Kyo 6035>>Treo 600>>Treo 650>>PPC6700(Sold on Fleabay)>>Treo 650>>Treo 700p>>Treo 755p and still thinking about an iPhone
    hmmm we've all been waiting for ptunes to add wma streaming, maybe we should ask xm, and sirius to add mp3 streaming instead, might have better sucess.
    Quote Originally Posted by R1_Rydah
    hmmm we've all been waiting for ptunes to add wma streaming, maybe we should ask xm, and sirius to add mp3 streaming instead, might have better sucess.
    I'm guessing we're a smaller voice with XM than with Normsoft.
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4
    Um... Duct tape it to a Roady XT? I'm not aware of any way to use a Treo for receiving XM programming. The smallest XM receiver I know of is bigger than a Treo.
    Or staple a 700w to the back.
    OK, I enjoy a good joke as much as the next guy, but those of us monitoring this post for ACTUAL ideas would appreciate it if those of you wanting to make stupid jokes would keep it to yourself. XM radio rocks... the treo 650 rocks... Pocket Tunes Deluxe rocks... we just want them combined is all... if the 700w can make streaming .wma work, we're holding out hope that someone can for the 650. I'd appreciate any help for transam's post... gracias.
    You got it.
    Quote Originally Posted by enchilada88
    OK, I enjoy a good joke as much as the next guy, but those of us monitoring this post for ACTUAL ideas would appreciate it if those of you wanting to make stupid jokes would keep it to yourself. XM radio rocks... the treo 650 rocks... Pocket Tunes Deluxe rocks... we just want them combined is all... if the 700w can make streaming .wma work, we're holding out hope that someone can for the 650. I'd appreciate any help for transam's post... gracias.
    The 700W is Windows Mobile device and the format that you are trying to listen to is streaming Windows Media. So you got a Microsoft propietary format that can be played on a Microsoft device. That shouldn't be a surprise. I'm fairly surprised that pTunes can do regular .wma at all, but they licensed it from Microsoft, so there you go. There's zero technical reason why the Treo couldn't play a streaming .wma file, just that the business doesn't allow it and/or haven't agreed on a licensing deal.

I think you could buy a TimeTrax (http://www.timetraxtech.com/) device and listen to pre-recorded XM. I know it's not realtime, but it's the best solution I know of.
    By the way, if you have XM Radio, they are trying desperately to stop the bleeding, you can call them now and tell them you are thinking of cancelling, they will give you a subscription for $3 dollars a month.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast