Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The standard version of Kinoma doesn't support streaming wma, just the version on the 700p. I think it has something to do with the upgraded version of Blazer that's on the 700p as well.
    I think you're missing my question.

Fine, assume that I found an audio player that supports streaming wma files. Then what?
    XM Satellite radio has an online service which streams a significant portion of their channels, in addition to some exclusive ones, out to authenticated clients. The native stream is encoded at either 32 or 64kbps using the wma codec, which I thought the Treo could not handle. Apparently Kinoma 3 EX is able to handle streaming WMA, which means my procedure is pretty much useless. It used to be that, for a long time, the only pseudo-working option was to use Shoutcast.

Just as a quick update, I highly suggest that XMRO subscribers try this method. Not only can you easily control the stream and channel, but the quality is suprisingly great. I'm running off of a comcast line at 768kbps up (~680 - 700kbps including overhead) and my Treo stops to buffer roughly once every ten minutes for less than a second, and even then the server ssems to "pause" the stream until you've finished on your end. I should also mention that this server also hosts mail, web, and VoIP daemons (among others) so I'm willing to bet normal people can achieve similar or better results. Definitely worth taking the time to set up!

so streaming xm not possible with the 650, only the 700, correct? Just loaded Kinoma 3 EX and I get a can not connect error.
    Visor Deluxe (Ice), Platinum (Black), Prism w/ Visor Fone, treo 270, treo 600, Unlocked GSM Pa1mOne branded treo 650, Palm branded Unlocked treo 680 (graphite), UBiQUiO 503g, & now HTC TyTNII TMO
    Using which method? I can stream XM using my method above and pTunes. Works flawlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode View Post
    Using which method? I can stream XM using my method above and pTunes. Works flawlessly.
    Are you streaming through Kinoma? It sounds like you're using your home cable connection if you're talking about Comcast. I don't think there's a way to stream using the Treo 650 by itself, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Wow, totally lost. Sorry for my ignorance but I was trying to stream using Kinoma 3 EX via edge/gprs. In pTunes (ver 3.1.7) not sure where I would tell it to do so.
    Visor Deluxe (Ice), Platinum (Black), Prism w/ Visor Fone, treo 270, treo 600, Unlocked GSM Pa1mOne branded treo 650, Palm branded Unlocked treo 680 (graphite), UBiQUiO 503g, & now HTC TyTNII TMO
    pTunes Deluxe is required for streaming audio. If you can stream MP3 on Kinoma, it's the same thing. You're not streaming directly from XM radio online either. You have to setup your computer as a server (according to my steps in Post 33 on Page 3). For the URL to which you must connect to for the streaming audio, you would do something like this:

Say your WAN address is
    Code:
    The username which you setup is
    Code:
    abarrios
    The password which you set up is
    Code:
    pass
    then the address to connect to would be
    Code:
    abarrios:pass@1.2.3.4:9000/stream.mp3
    Once you have connected to that, you would go to
    Code:
    http://abarrios:pass@1.2.3.4:9000/
    to control channels etc.

It helps to go through the web interface on a desktop and become more familiar with the controls and things, maybe even change some settings to your preferences. I have the TC podcast and RSS feeds setup on this software so I can even stream the podcast out to my phone while reading an article.

You also might find that having to change the bitrate every time is annoying. In the convert.conf file you can change the $QUALITY$ variable to 64 so the server will always encode to mp3 at 64kbps.

Quote Originally Posted by brickjr View Post
    Are you streaming through Kinoma? It sounds like you're using your home cable connection if you're talking about Comcast. I don't think there's a way to stream using the Treo 650 by itself, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
    I am using my home cable connection as an intemediary. The XM online audio streams to my home system which does real time encoding and streams out to my Treo 650. My steps above outline it, but basically it works like this:

1. Setup SlimServer software
    2. Configure XMRadio Plugin on SlimServer
    3. Customize Web Interface and convert.conf files
    4. Configure port fowarding on router
    5. Connect to home system from Treo 650

I'll write a more formal straightfoward thing on the wiki later tonight.

I am using my home cable connection as an intemediary. The XM online audio streams to my home system which does real time encoding and streams out to my Treo 650. My steps above outline it, but basically it works like this:

1. Setup SlimServer software
    2. Configure XMRadio Plugin on SlimServer
    3. Customize Web Interface and convert.conf files
    4. Configure port fowarding on router
    5. Connect to home system from Treo 650

I'll write a more formal straightfoward thing on the wiki later tonight.
    Gotcha. I think a lot of people are looking for direct streaming, but yours is probably the next best thing. Thanks for the info.
    pTunes Deluxe is required for streaming audio. If you can stream MP3 on Kinoma, it's the same thing. You're not streaming directly from XM radio online either. You have to setup your computer as a server (according to my steps in Post 33 on Page 3). For the URL to which you must connect to for the streaming audio, you would do something like this:

Say your WAN address is
    Code:
    The username which you setup is
    Code:
    abarrios
    The password which you set up is
    Code:
    pass
    then the address to connect to would be
    Code:
    abarrios:pass@1.2.3.4:9000/stream.mp3
    Once you have connected to that, you would go to
    Code:
    http://abarrios:pass@1.2.3.4:9000/
    to control channels etc.

It helps to go through the web interface on a desktop and become more familiar with the controls and things, maybe even change some settings to your preferences. I have the TC podcast and RSS feeds setup on this software so I can even stream the podcast out to my phone while reading an article.

You also might find that having to change the bitrate every time is annoying. In the convert.conf file you can change the $QUALITY$ variable to 64 so the server will always encode to mp3 at 64kbps.
    Cool!! Tons of thanks for outlining step by step but as far as I am concerned brickjr nailed it for me on the head.

Quote Originally Posted by brickjr View Post
    Gotcha. I think a lot of people are looking for direct streaming, but yours is probably the next best thing. Thanks for the info.
    It just seems too many hoops to jump through to get this functionality, at least for me it is. Great job though!!!
    abarrios,
    if you have Kinoma on a T650, are you able to listen to sites that stream wma?
    in particular are you able to listen to
    http://asx.abacast.com/blazers-kxl2-32.asx

tia,
    Rock
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock View Post
    abarrios,
    if you have Kinoma on a T650, are you able to listen to sites that stream wma?
    in particular are you able to listen to
    http://asx.abacast.com/blazers-kxl2-32.asx

tia,
    Rock
    I get a network error "Database: invalid name (0x021A)
    Thanks for trying.
    Is it confirmed/possible that you can stream direct on a 700p or even a 680?
    Quote Originally Posted by abarrios View Post
    Is it confirmed/possible that you can stream direct on a 700p or even a 680?
    Yes, you can definitely stream with the 700p. I had one for about a month and was using minixm.com (now musicdock.com) all the time. I'm sure the 650's hardware is capable, it's just not a programmed function... and given the limited support for the 700p so far, I doubt there's ANYTHING in the works for the 650 anymore.
    I can see this going terribly wrong, but I can probably mod the plugin running on my server so 650's can connect and login with their own XMRO information. Only problem is that you're going to have to trust me when I say I don't log that information and I have to trust you that you won't abuse the service. Plus since the server doesn't have dedicated bandwidth I don't know how great the performance will be with more than one person, but it's worth a try.

Whats up with musicdock.com for XM. Website is down, are they changing their name again?
    working for me.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123