Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The XM internet option for $7 a month will stream only to PC's that have Windows Media Player AND Shockwave installed. While streaming, you can view the link to the stream by clicking on properties within WMP, but trying to feed this into PocketTunes yields no stream on the Treo...I believe the XM is content-protected. Or perhaps it really does require Shockwave. In either case, you can't stream it to the Treo.

I did ask the developer of Pocket Tunes if there were plans to support XM/Sirius streams, and his reply was (something like) "It is our poilcy not to comment on future plans until we release the updates." The next day info about a 2Q release of PTunes 3.1.4 was emailed to me, but no mention of XM or Sirius support

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
  2.    #22  
    Thanks for all the response. Using Ptunes to internet radio for now until I figure how to do the XM thing......
  3.    #23  
    Thanks much for the info.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I have successfully setup a ShoutCast Server using the web audio stream!! You can't change channels (yet) from the Treo, but I'm working on that too.... If it would help, I could put together a step-by-step set of instructions. Post on this thread if anyone is interested...
    I'm interested! Please post your step-by-step instructions here. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrimmer
    I have successfully setup a ShoutCast Server using the web audio stream!! You can't change channels (yet) from the Treo, but I'm working on that too.... If it would help, I could put together a step-by-step set of instructions. Post on this thread if anyone is interested...
    Please do put step by step together!! I really miss my Sirius now that I got rid of the 6700. Awesome!
    Scraps of paper>>Back of my hand>>Kyo 6035>>Treo 600>>Treo 650>>PPC6700(Sold on Fleabay)>>Treo 650>>Treo 700p>>Treo 755p and still thinking about an iPhone
    Fantastic! We'd love to hear how to accomplish this... XM Radio is just so SUPERIOR to other music options out there, I'd love it if we could have this available on our Treo 650's...
    Same here, need my Opie and Anthony fix.

Gary
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Everyone -
    I started a new post (URL) on how I did this. Unfortunately, this ONLY works for Sirius subscribers - XM users would need a WinAmp-based tuner for the same functionality!
    You should be able to do channel changes using a small WML or HTML webpage and an IR Blaster to send the IR commands to the Satellite receiver.
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    By the way, if you have XM Radio, they are trying desperately to stop the bleeding, you can call them now and tell them you are thinking of cancelling, they will give you a subscription for $3 dollars a month.
    Stop listening to Howard.

Hoo hoo, I invented making up lies about the competition, Tell 'em Fred.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion
    You should be able to do channel changes using a small WML or HTML webpage and an IR Blaster to send the IR commands to the Satellite receiver.
    LION: That would work if I was using a HW receiver - since I'm using a SW receiver, the IR portion isn't really necessary. Thanks for the feedback...
    I'd hate to resurrect an ancient thread, but I thought there might be some people interested to know that I've successfully gotten *controllable* streaming XM radio working on my 650. It wasn't too difficult either, just took a bit of digging...

Step One
    Download the appropriate distribution of the SlimServer software. The software is free, opensource, and just plain cool. Windows users should simply download and run the EXE found in the directory below and install using defaults. Linux users will have to compile from source and so you all get to have a bit more fun in this step!

http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/SlimServer_v6.3.1/

NOTE: The plugin which you will use later on is NOT compatible with any newer version of SlimServer (minus a bit of hacking). Save yourself the grief and just use this version for now.

Step Two
    Once you have installed SlimServer, your web browser will open and browse to http://localhost:9000/ from there go to the "Server Settings" link found half way down the left frame. Choose "Interface" from the drop down menu which is now displayed on the page. Change the skin to "Handheld" and press 'F5' (or whatever button refresh is mapped to).

Step Three
    Go back to "Server Settings" (you might not have to). Go through every link located at top of the page next to "/Server Settings", except for "File Types", and configure things to your liking. Once you have finished, shutdown the server. You might have an icon in your system tray which you can use to do this, otherwise you will have to kill the process.

Step Four
    Download the XMRadio Plugin from the link below. Move the top level directory in the archive to the <installdir>/server/Plugins directory. Next download the appropriate distribution of the lame encoder from the second link below. Copy the "lame.exe" and "lame_enc.dll" files to <installdir>/server/Bin/. This will be used to encode the incoming stream into MP3.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=176658
    http://www.free-codecs.com/Lame_Encoder_download.htm

Step Five
    Start the server up again and browse back to "Server Settings". Go to the "Internet Radio" link at the top of the page. Enter your login information in the appropriate boxes. Then browse to "File Types". Scroll down to the bottom where the first column consists of "Windows Media". Uncheck those bottom four options (some of which may already be unchecked). Then check the third option from the bottom which converts "Windows Media" to "MP3 wmadec/lame".

Step Six
    This is probably the most important step of all. Go to the "Security" link and enable password protection. Put in a username and password (anything you want) and make sure the "Block Incoming Connections" option is turned OFF.

Step Seven
    Configure your router to forward port 9000 to your server (if you are using NAT). Then go to pTunes and create a new entity in "Internet Audio". The address will be "http://<USERNAME>:<PASSWORD>@x.x.x.x:9000/stream.mp3", where ''x.x.x.x" is your WAN IP address (which you can find here). For those who host their own servers, a fully qualified domain name is acceptable here in lieu of the IP, however the port must be specified. The username and password are the same ones which were specified at the "Security" link.

Step Eight-ish
    Navigate on your Treo or otherwise to http://x.x.x.x:9000 and select "XM Radio Online" after logging in. From there you will be able to control the feed to which you are already connected using the menu. With the Treo, you might find the server crashes when you attempt to configure the stream from the web interface. This means the Treo could not find enough bandwidth to keep a connection to the stream and configure it at the same time. The XM plugin has to have a player connected before an XM channel is chosen. A simple work around is to have a local media player tuned into the server at all times. Also, the stream cannot be configured to have a lower bitrate than 320kbps in this version of SlimServer. Linux users can hack up a work around, but Windows users are stuck for a bit. I'm going to see if I can find a simple work around to this, but at least we've made a small step forward!

BITRATE SOLUTION:
    Gosh, Windows' mere presence ruins my ability to think. In the <installdir>/server/ there is file called "slimserver.pref". In there are per client settings which explicitly define quality, if you assign your device a name in the "Player Settings" link, you might be able to throw a "&playerid=<NAME>" at the end of the URL when you are configuring your stream to bind a set of rules to it. You'll have to be near the server the first time you ever connect to modify the configuration file though.... after that you should be good...
    Last edited by FrozenCode; 10/15/2006 at 05:28 PM.

Couldn't you use musicdock.com with Kinoma?

Haven't used a 650 since finding musicdock on my 700 so I don't know if it works or not.

Maybe! I didn't think there was a media player that could stream WMA on the 650, but I could be wrong. MP3 eats up less bandwidth too though, so maybe others might like it too...

Come to think of it, I seem to remember something about the newer version(s?) of Kinoma being able to stream WMA...

The newer version of PTunes streams WMA files. What does this mean in terms of streaming XM?
    Quote Originally Posted by joker9989 View Post
    The newer version of PTunes streams WMA files. What does this mean in terms of streaming XM?
    I just looked through the revision history, but it doesn't mention streaming WMA files:

http://www.pocket-tunes.com/?page=history

Where did you get your info?

BTW... I tried logging in at mobile.musicdock.com, but it's saying my on-line credentials were incorrect. However, it works fine on my computer. So... I guess my answer is "I don't know!?!" Glad I could help out...
    Maybe I'm confused but if PTunes can play WMA files (from v3.0 onwards) and PTunes can stream internet audio, how is it that PTunes cannot stream WMA files? This seems to be where the misunderstanding lies.
    The type of file that's considered a "streaming WMA" is a .asx file (if I remember correctly). Many other streaming sites use a different format, but I forget the extension. Pocket Tunes can recognize the other extension, but not the .asx. I'm guessing that it's not due to their inability to program PTunes to recognize the extension. It probably has more to do with additional licensing issues than anything else. Since PTunes comes standard on the 700p and that phone has Kinoma to deal with streaming audio/video, there's not much insentive for PTunes to acquire the licenses to stream wma. The only people they'd be catering to are 600 and 650 owners, and let's face it, the number of 600/650 owners are going to start dwindling soon. Just my two cents though...
    Okay, lets say I'm using a program that supports streaming wma files (ie. Kinoma as you mentioned), then what? Humor me. I'm a n00b.

Thanks!!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast