1.    #1  
    Hi all, sorry if this is a stupid question, but is there an application that adds a local phone mailbox to the Treo 650 phone? That is, an application that answers a call after a number of rings, plays back a message, and is able to record the answer on local Treo memory, i.e. an SD card. A replacement for the mailbox function your service provider offers.

That could save some money, particularly when abroad...
    Well Voicemail does that but not to an SD card.....if you are off the network, how is the call supppossed to get to your Treo so that it can put it on the card ?

SharkMessage OTOH will send the caller an SMS message saying for example that you are whereeevr and unable to answer but if the signal doesn't get to your phone on the first place, certainly nothing will be sent out.
  3.    #3  
    When I'm not in the network the phone can't respond, of course. But there are cases when the phone is on and booked into a network and you still can't answer it. The mailbox offered by the service provider costs a lot when you roam abroad. You pay for receiving the call, for the diversion to the mailbox back at home, and for the call to listen to your voice mail later. And each of those will typically charge a full minute, roaming tariff. And, more often than not, you just find that the caller put down the phone again without leaving a useful message. It doesn't take a lot of incidents like this to pay for a little utility on your Treo...
    Quote Originally Posted by pelmazo
    You pay for receiving the call,
    Well you 'd pay that with either method.

or the diversion to the mailbox back at home,
    Isn't that part of the above ?

and for the call to listen to your voice mail later.
    Or just look at call log and call back w/o listening to messge.

And each of those will typically charge a full minute, roaming tariff. And, more often than not, you just find that the caller put down the phone again without leaving a useful message. It doesn't take a lot of incidents like this to pay for a little utility on your Treo.
    I don't think there woud be a large call for this as when most peeps roam abroad they swap to a prepaid SIM. The calling / voice mail switch is done at the carrier level before it gets to your phone. So what you would have to do is answer the phone, have a prerecorded message play and then "tape" the message.

Alternately sharkmessage will send a message to the caller telling him you are unavailabel for the reason you sepcify .

Some phones have this capability.....one here will hold 4 18 second messages

http://cellphoneforums.net/t112318.html

Skype has an answering utility

http://www.skype.com/products/skypevoicemail/ but no Skype for palm OS as yet to my knowledge....skype works on 700w but don't know about the answerering machien utility
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Well you 'd pay that with either method.
    True.

Isn't that part of the above ?
    No. I don't know whether it is the same with all providers, but the mailbox is treated like a call diversion on mine, which means in practice that the diversion fee is added to the roaming fee. The diversion happens in the network I'm booked into, so even when the mailbox itself and the caller are in my home country, while I'm roaming in another, the call goes to abroad, and then diverts back home, and the result is charges for what amounts to basically two international calls. In both cases, at least with my provider, the first 60 seconds always count, regardless of the call duration.

Or just look at call log and call back w/o listening to messge.
    That's what I do at the moment. I turn off the mailbox while abroad and rely on the call log. I just wanted to see whether there are other options.

I don't think there woud be a large call for this as when most peeps roam abroad they swap to a prepaid SIM.
    Which means your number changes. That's inconvenient when you are abroad for short periods of time only. I'm in Europe, and close to a border, too. I can easily have breakfast, lunch, and dinner in 3 different foreign countries the same day while still starting and ending the day in my own bed.

The calling / voice mail switch is done at the carrier level before it gets to your phone. So what you would have to do is answer the phone, have a prerecorded message play and then "tape" the message.
    That was my aim precisely. I was wondering whether there was any Treo software that did this automatically. Since it could have address book access, the prerecorded message could even differ between different callers, something your provider's mailbox will not easily be able to do.

Alternately sharkmessage will send a message to the caller telling him you are unavailabel for the reason you sepcify .
    I'll definitely look into this. Good tip.
    If ya need a link....scream !