1.    #1  
    I have a number of documents in .doc and HTML format I'd like to be able to read in an EBook reader, and perhaps also disseminate. What do folk feel is the best combination of converter and reader - simplicity of conversion, price, etc.?

Chris
    Chris W. Green
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    I was just going to recommend Mobipocket, based on some good experience I had with it in generating ebooks about a year ago (using the $30 "Home" version of their ebook creator - handles doc and html. But this reminded me that I had accidentally deleted the Palm MobiReader application a week ago. So I re-downloaded the new version of the free reader, and to my horror found that 5 books that I had paid good money for a while back were now unreadable because something about them is now not matching my Mobipocket "Personal Id #". I'd heard about such issues with readers that use proprietary formats, but hadnt the non-joy of experiencing it myself.

I checked on the Mobireader forums, and it seems this is indeed quite common, and while apparently fixable, it is an extremely bothersome procedure, involving redownloading the books, then using their (free) PC version of the reader to send them through to the Palm with the correct "cloaking" as it were.

Take home message: Proprietary programs may look pretty, but their creators prioritise $$-accumulation over info-dissemination.

geoff
  3.    #3  
    Yes, and $149 for the program to create files in this format is well outside my pocket!

I was looking for something a bit more affordable, preferably free. Been trying Plucker, but it seems that development has stalled, and the current version is somewhat lacking in features. eReader is quite good, but uses its own markup language, while Plucker accepts HTML, which saves work, since I also have to prepare HTML versions of the documents.

Are there any other good options?

Chris
    Chris W. Green
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    I use DocReader on my Windows PC (http://mpickering.homeip.net/phpwiki....php/DocReader). It can read and write documents in .pdb format that can be read by eReader on the Palm. I have used it extensively to convert files found at gutenberg.org.

The basic idea is that you start a new file and then paste in a bookload of plain text to create the content.

Some documents (e.g., Gutenberg's) require massaging to remove line breaks. You want line breaks only between paragraphs (as in MS Word) rather than every line (as in Gutenberg's plain text format.

-Jeff DLB
    Last edited by Jeff DLB; 03/17/2006 at 09:21 PM. Reason: add URL
    Palm user since 1999-04-16: III > IIIx > Vx > Sony N610c > SJ33 > Treo 650 GSM > Centro CDMA
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    DocReader seemed to finally work for me, I have been using Palm's DropBook and I even have the ebook studio, and for some reason whenever I make a book using the palm apps I get an error on the Palm when I try and open them that says I need to register to view Reference Material. I don't understand if I maxed out my limit on how many books I can have or what the problem is, but at least I can try and make books with DocReader. I for personal reasons don't have the $10 bucks to get the Pro version so at least something works for right now. Has anyonce else seen an issue like that?
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
    wtf.. heh.. Output your documents to plain old txt format and use makeztxt on them, which compresses them and makes them a pdb. This can be read by any number of free readers, including TiBr, Weasel, and Palm Fiction (my fav).
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    Yea definatly wft! I used DocReader tonight and it worked alright. Its just a weird error or problem or whatever you wanna say. I have over 100 ms reader files I have yet to make into ebooks and it just burns me that I had to invent a new way or learn a new way, I wasn't doing anything the free version couldn't do. So weird. That's my rant for tonight.
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
    I put the books in txt format in SD card first, and then I use TealDoc to save it to native format, so I can bookmark them when I am reading. Excellent reader btw.
    I'd suggest freebie iSiloX, in conjunction with iSilo. The latter is the reader, while the former will create an iSilo-ized ebook. You can run the reader in free or paid mode-- I think links (among other features) are lacking in the paid version ($20). Fully featured trial available.

Since you have files in html format already, you could use (Win desktop) freebie dir2html--- point it at the directory with your html files, and it will create an index. With iSiloX installed, you'd open Internet Explorer (won't work in FireFox or Maxthon), tap the icon it inserts into IE's toolbar, and open that freshly made index.html file-- giving you a list of all linked html files. Then set your iSiloX prefs per your desires to create the ebook itself. Easy even for noobs. If you are familiar with html coding, you could really polish that ebook by tweaking the html coding of your initial files!

http://www.pc-tools.net/win32/dir2html/
    http://www.isilo.com/
    http://www.isilox.com/

<edit>
    Forgot about yourQ re doc files-- I assume you mean MS doc files? There are many freebie doc2html converters. I'd start by checking out the freeware section of SnapFiles: http://snapfiles.com/ .

Last point: the beauty of isilo: it will search ANY txt file, plain Palm doc files (such as exports via DayNotez) AND isilo files-- directly on the SD card--- even going so far as showing your search terms in context, within the resulting hit list.
    </edit>
    Last edited by TreoRenegade; 03/18/2006 at 03:32 AM.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I tried PalmFiction and it is a really nice free app, I liked it alot, my only problem with it, was that most of my or should I say all of my books are written in the eBook Reader format I can't open I would have to use two programs still.

So I fought with the app a little and played around and came to notice that there is a check mark in the bottom of the app that says "make dictionary" it was checked. I didn't mess with the app and never noticed it, I am wondering if it got changed when I copied it from one computer to another or what, but regardless its fixed ebooks work right again, I probably will have to fix a bunch of books. At least I can make them again.
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict