1.    #1  
    Hello all...

Yup, a n00bie here...

I just got a Treo 650 with Cingular (via business, so I am not worry about getting this unlocked or whatever)

However I have been experiencing lot of soft reset with this treo. like 5 times a day. I decided to do a hard reset (Hold power and do the reset then press up to confirm the hard reset) and ran only one program from my SD card, Toccer, it still crash after an hour of usage. I decided to do again, then try to use only what I have in the internal memory (SMS, Phone, Web, etc.) and still, it restarted on its own. I am starting to think I may got a lemon phone (I got it like last week). Thats why I am posting this to see if this kind of rebooting is normal or not. (Id more like to hear from people who have cingular)

the firmware's 1.17 for those who are going to ask me.

Jin
    This is not normal. A stock phone with nothing loaded on there should NOT reset on it's own.
    Get yourself a replacement with Cingular, as you have 30 days to do this in-store.
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercoffee1
    This is not normal. A stock phone with nothing loaded on there should NOT reset on it's own.
    Get yourself a replacement with Cingular, as you have 30 days to do this in-store.
    If you are still getting resets with Toccer removed, get a replacement. Your stock 650 should be very stable.
    How often a Soft Reboot per day (or week) is normal?
    Zero. Your phone should not be rebooting on its own. Whenever this happes is because there is something not working right...either a third-party application or there is something wrong with the phone itself.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Turn bluetooth off to see if it helps. I have found that other people playing bluetooth next to me can make my Treo 650 reboot. Also some web site visited by Blazer can make the Treo reboot.
  6.    #6  
    thanks for the replies

the only third party I use is chattermail. I am assuming they are stable considering the developer took time to make the build firm. am I correct?

Jon
    I am not familiar with the Cingular Treo, so maybe someone can post the dial code for displaying your last crash error. It would help if you told us that.

I had a hardware problem with my first Treo that casued it to reset a lot. Using Chatter exposed this error but the problem was hardware and not Chatter. Since Chatter is the only thing you have installed, I'm wondering if you have a similar problem. If so, you will need the Treo replaced.

Let us know what the reported error is.
    You ain't gonna get no warranty replacement unless your phone has no 3rd party programs on it. No Toccer, No Chatter. As the manual says, use the phone stock for a few days to determine hardware stability. Make sure you have the latest ROM / Firmware installed (CNG 1.17 - 01.51 firmware). Hard Reset the phone.

If you go 3 - 4 days w/o resets:

1. Install Northglide's Uninstall Manager.
    2. Install 1 Chatter.
    3. If it works for few days with Chatter, install next suspect program....if not Uninstall Chatter and try next program.
    I went through this exact issue not to long ago! You can read about it in more detail here:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=108797

Long story short- mine is a Sprint version, and I tried everything from fresh hard reset, latest firmwares, no third party apps. Web was the worst app for me, but everything crashed, included the phone app.

I exchanged mine (Sprint gives you 14 days) and I just had my first reset today after 2 weeks- and it was also due to ChatterMail, but mostly my fault. I've since removed ChatterMail for now.

I say get a new one while you can! I figured it was just my bad luck that the store had two in stock... and the first one I got was essentially DOA.

Blah.
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Quote Originally Posted by hyiu000
    Turn bluetooth off to see if it helps. I have found that other people playing bluetooth next to me can make my Treo 650 reboot. Also some web site visited by Blazer can make the Treo reboot.
    Yes, I found that with the bluetooth on my laptop on, it would get the dreaded WSOD (white screen of death) intermittently. This is esp true if you have XP SP1 with the old bluetooth drivers. Try to stay away from bluetooth, even headsets.