Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Anyone have this problem or know what my issue might be? I start palm desktop, it opens, and as soon as I goto click anything it closes and I get a windows error message. This is strange. By the way I recently upgraded from a tx to the treo 650. PLEASE HELP!!! Oh yeah, it worked fine today at work, but now at home will not. HMMM
    I now have the same issue.

I used to have Palm Desktop running just fine. However now it opens, crashes, I get the Windows message box and that's it.

I get the same results after re-installing it.
    Same results on Windows XP Home
    Same results on Windows XP Professional

Any idea's?

Help!
    -------------------------------------------
    "Identify, Analyze, Decide, Resolve, Learn"

Treo 800w
    Treo 700p
    I've got an ironic solution... to my problem anyways.

There were 3 corrupted files which were fixed (which ones they were, I don't know).

This is how I fixed them:

Step 1) Set properties to low res mode
    Right click on "Palm Desktop" icon --> Select "Compatibility" tab
    Select "Run in 640 x 480 screen resolution" flag
    *This allows Palm Desktop to open. Wow!

Step 2) Open Palm Desktop (The Ironic part)
    Open "Palm Desktop"
    *Yes, I actually opened the program, in order to fix the problem
    of the program not opening. Ironic, but hey, it works.
    *If you are not able open the program, then find another way to
    find and fix corrupt files.

Step 3) Repair the files
    Select "Tools" menu --> "Options..." menu item
    Select "Tools" tab --> "Check Now" Command button
    *This should find and correct any corrupted files.

Step 4) Restore screen resolution for program
    De-select "Run in 640 x 480 screen resolution" flag
    *This should let you view the program in your native resolution.
    -------------------------------------------
    "Identify, Analyze, Decide, Resolve, Learn"

Treo 800w
    Treo 700p
    Excellent job of hacking through the problem. I have never had this happen but it's good to know the solution beforehand.
  5. afr
    I had to reload Palm Desktop after reformatting and rebuilding my laptop. I had downloaded the most recent version of Palm Desktop (4.1.4E) and installed it. After the initial synchronization Palm Desktop wouldn't load and erred out with a message that mfc24.dll was to blame.

I read the posts here, and decided to try the "cure" by Rocketman002. But before I tried that, I remembered that during one of my many de- and re-installations yesterday that the Desktop actually came up and ran without problems once...and that was when I skipped the initial synchronization during the installation process. So I decided that I would re-install Palm Desktop and skip the inital sync, then bring up Desktop and sync while it was running. Voila...it worked.

Here is what I did: Installed Palm Desktop. Skipped step 2 (initial synchronization with the handheld). Brought up Palm Desktop. Sync'ed with the handheld while the Desktop was running. After the sync finished, I went into the Tools>Options menu in Palm Desktop and checked for corrupted files. Palm Desktop found 46 corrupted Contact records. I believe that they had been classified under an old Category that I had deleted and replaced with a new Category. Apparently, there was a problem with this on the handheld that caused problems on the new Palm Desktop install (??)

Anyway, after Palm Desktop found and corrected the corrupt records, it now loads without crashing. Go figure.

What got me to thinking about this is that I had noticed that Palm Desktop had loaded without crashing that once. (I've had so many different Palms and installed so many versions of Desktop that I frequently skip the initial install step knowing that I can install without problems later).

Please post here if this procedure works for others.
    I was having the same problem with palm desktop crashing on startup right after installing Win414e with error details reporting modname mfc42.dll. I tried afr's solution and it did not work for me. The palm desktop crashed immediately after the sync. However rocketman002's suggestion did work. Curiously, changing the compatibility for screen resolution to 640x480 allows you to start the Palm desktop and run Tools/Options/Tools/Check Now, which repairs a corrupted file uploaded from the palm.

For me this appears to be an issue related to syncing multiple desktops with a single palm (treo). There is a sync log issue that shows up for me about categories on the palm being deleted. I am left with many uncategorized files, but at least the palm desktop does not crash.

Changing the hotsync custom conduit options to sync one type of file at a time may be a help in isolating the application that has corrupted data.
    afr's trick worked for me!! Just had to install w/out sync. Seems he's right about the category issue. Had changed mine before too and now they weren't compatible. After syncing with desktop open and fixing corrupt files, it works fine.
    Thanks afr!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman002 View Post
    <snip>
    rocketman002 : you're a GENIUS! Thank you SOOOOO much. You don't know how much I appreciate your post. It sure is an ODD solution to say the least, but it worked. Wow. You saved me a lot of grief. You saved my marriage. OK, that last bit is a little overstated... but thanks. I mean it. I don't even have a Treo, but I had to register and express my thanks on this fine forum.

Mike
  9. jck

I'm with drmrbrewer - robotman002 is a genius!! hassled with this problem all weekend, and a good part of last week - i think the last time i was able to open Palm Desktop was last Tuesday!

so, my question now, does anyone have a clue why changing the screen resolution allows the app to open? seems like the oddest work-around, and i'm also curious how robotman002 figured it out!

janaki
    I had the won't-start-application problem too, but the fixes that worked for people in the earlier posts didn't work for me. Here's what did work:

I went into the Palm folder, i.e. C:\Palm. There was a folder in there for each "user" or profile in the program, and I figured out which one was my "usual" one.

1) I moved this folder (you may want to copy this folder somewhere else as a backup, too!) out of the Palm folder.
    2) I tried starting the Palm desktop application. It worked! It defaulted to my usual profile, which now seemed to be blank.
    3) I switched it to a different profile,
    4) closed the application,
    5) moved that folder back into C:\Palm, and the program now works AS LONG AS I SWITCH TO THAT OTHER PROFILE BEFORE I CLOSE THE PROGRAM EACH TIME.

I think I've had problems since moving from a Palm m100 to the Tungsten E2, with a bunch of old ToDo and Calendar items in there. The day before my program "broke", I had fixed several dates which went from "no date" to some date about 20 years in the future, possibly resulting in too many no-date ToDo items or something. The "other" profile doesn't have much of anything in it, so that's probably why it lets the application open without error. If I could default to showing the other profile on opening of the program, that'd be better, but I haven't found such a feature.
    Based on all the posts I managed to get mine working. The 640x480 resolution thing, didn't work. The not syncing thing, initially worked, I could load Palm Desktop, and I left it open and sync'd, but then it instantly crashed. But I figured the solution is a corrupted profile.

So. Without reinstalling or any of that, I just deleted the user profile from the Palm Desktop installation directory. ie c:\program fies\palm\username\ kill that folder. Now, you can get into Palm Desktop. Then create a new user, I called it temp. I then switched to "temp" in Palm Desktop, well actually it was then the only user. I then synced with my handheld, and my original user appeared in the drop down of users (upper right). I was then able to "switch" to that user, go to tools/options and do the repair thing. Sure enough, all the contacts were corrupted because of categories. After the repair, everything was fine, I could sync. I then deleted the "temp" user. All is well. Except I lost all my contact categories.

This is a side effect of using 2 different palms that have the same data (evaluating the newer treo with a new carrier) on 2 different computers. I'd sync both with both computers periodically.

Quick re-cap and an alternate way. Corrupted user profile. Delete it. Open Palm, Create new user, Be in that "new user". Then just drop the user directory back into the palm\ folder. That user will appear in the drop down now, so now you can switch to it and do the repair. Then just re-sync.
    great fix! i thank the stroke of ironic destiny that brought rocketman to a fix and convinced him to post it here.

i had the same prob & when i "corrected" the corrupt files, it said that they were contacts entries. so... maybe that's useful for someone else.

peace.
    Same issue, apparently starting a number of months after I started syncing up on both sides of a dual boot XP (Palm Desktop 4.2) and Vista (first Beta Palm Desktop) machine. I tried Rocketman's fix and it worked perfectly. What I want to know is how did he figure to reset the resolution to 640x 480 in order to run the repair command! I've been doing PC desktop support since 1996 and that would never have come to me.

Incidentally, I've now upgraded to their new Vista beta and synced up on it and then XP. We'll have to see if the problem reoccurs after a while.

(I've been using first a Palm m515, then a Sprint Palm Treo 600 and now a Sprint Palm Treo 700p, since December 2002.)
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I found another solution, check this link:

http://forum.brighthand.com/showthre...83#post1630183

Tarek.
    I upgraded to Palm Desktop 6.2 (Access) and hated the new program. Found it was mostly intended for Windows Vista and I'm still using XP. Program started immediately crashing. Did the "ironic fix" and now it works again just fine. Other than that it appears I lost some data like categories in memo everything else works fine.

kwesi

There were 3 corrupted files which were fixed (which ones they were, I don't know).

Step 2) Open Palm Desktop (The Ironic part)
    Open "Palm Desktop"
    *Yes, I actually opened the program, in order to fix the problem
    of the program not opening. Ironic, but hey, it works.
    *If you are not able open the program, then find another way to
    find and fix corrupt files.

Step 3) Repair the files
    Select "Tools" menu --> "Options..." menu item
    Select "Tools" tab --> "Check Now" Command button
    *This should find and correct any corrupted files.

Step 4) Restore screen resolution for program
    De-select "Run in 640 x 480 screen resolution" flag
    *This should let you view the program in your native resolution.
    Holy Flarkin Snick! I didn't think this would work... but it worked PERFECTLY.

If you are ever in Boston, I'll pick up your bar tab.

Tim
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    I was ready to abandon palm after many years and handhelds. I never new about the tool for fixing corrupted files. My desktop would crash with varying frequency, usually when trying to edit a calendar entry or changing views from day to month, etc.

I was able to go directly to the repair button per your instructions (didn't have to go through the change in resolution, thankfully.

I do synchronize with 4 or more different computers with one handheld. Strangely, 2 computers showed 42 corrupted files and one of them showed no corrupted files. haven't checked the one at home yet.

Anyway, you all have really saved the day and ended much frustration.

thank you, thank you, thank you!

It seems that that item would be a good one for an occasional automatic prompt to check for corrupted files.