1.    #1  
    i know this basic question has been asked before, but I have an Ameritrade offer to get a free 650 and it says that it can be used with Cingular, Sprint, and Verizon.. but "may" work with other networks. Do you guys think I could possibly swap the SIM (I'm assuming it must have one if it will work with Cingular) If there is a SIM, is the phone "locked" or what?? I'm a little confused. Any help? Thanks
    If you make sure you get a GSM phone (Sprint or VZW won't work,) then it's a matter of getting it unlocked.

Plenty of talk on this board of how to go about that.

Can't remember the Ameritrade specifics, do you get the phone outright, without having to sign any Cellular contracts?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    It depends on which kind of phone you choose. If you pick a GSM phone, make sure that it is an unlocked Treo, so you can use that with T-Mobile.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    If you make sure you get a GSM phone (Sprint or VZW won't work,) then it's a matter of getting it unlocked.

Plenty of talk on this board of how to go about that.

Can't remember the Ameritrade specifics, do you get the phone outright, without having to sign any Cellular contracts?
    Yeah, it looks like you get the phone outright. from the terms: "The free Palm Treo 650 smartphone offer is for the device only and must be fulfilled through Global Wireless Data, fulfillment partner for Ameritrade and Palm. You must choose one of the following authorized carriers: Cingular Wireless, Verizon Wireless, or Sprint. The devices are not interchangeable and may not work on carriers’ networks other than the three carriers named here.

If you currently have a voice and/or data plan with one of the authorized carriers, Global Wireless Data can activate the device with your current plan. All existing terms and conditions of your current plan will apply. You may choose to activate the device through Global Wireless Data for a new voice and/or data plan but if the activation is performed by Global Wireless Data, you must choose an authorized rate plan for that carrier network. If you need assistance choosing a voice and/or data plan with the carrier you select, Client Support Representatives are available to help. Global Wireless Data’s call center is available Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. One free device will be shipped ground delivery to you with no shipping or handling fees. Most orders will be shipped within 48 hours of receiving your request based on the carrier’s stock availability. You may choose to expedite shipping for an additional fee with a valid credit card. (Master Card, Visa, Discover or American Express)"

So do you think if I ask for the one that will work with Cingular, I can get it unlocked and be able to use it with T-mobile?
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinjk
    So do you think if I ask for the one that will work with Cingular, I can get it unlocked and be able to use it with T-mobile?
    Yes!
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinjk
    Yeah, it looks like you get the phone outright. from the terms: "The free Palm Treo 650 smartphone offer is for the device only and must be fulfilled through Global Wireless Data, fulfillment partner for Ameritrade and Palm. You must choose one of the following authorized carriers: Cingular Wireless, Verizon Wireless, or Sprint. The devices are not interchangeable and may not work on carriers’ networks other than the three carriers named here.

If you currently have a voice and/or data plan with one of the authorized carriers, Global Wireless Data can activate the device with your current plan. All existing terms and conditions of your current plan will apply. You may choose to activate the device through Global Wireless Data for a new voice and/or data plan but if the activation is performed by Global Wireless Data, you must choose an authorized rate plan for that carrier network. If you need assistance choosing a voice and/or data plan with the carrier you select, Client Support Representatives are available to help. Global Wireless Data’s call center is available Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. One free device will be shipped ground delivery to you with no shipping or handling fees. Most orders will be shipped within 48 hours of receiving your request based on the carrier’s stock availability. You may choose to expedite shipping for an additional fee with a valid credit card. (Master Card, Visa, Discover or American Express)"

yes but u will always have cingular logo on device and at boot up screen. Although you can remove both with razor blade and rom updates tools :-)
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
  7.    #7  
    ok, great! thanks guys