1.    #1  
    Anyone synched a Treo 650 with a MacBook Pro? I downloaded the latest Palm desktop 4.2.1d from their website and it sort of works but the Contacts conduit crashes every time and leaves the Treo in such a bad state I have to soft reset it. This was with synching to the Palm desktop. I normally synch with Missing Sync but I wanted to try the Palm software before installing the latest Missing Sync beta.

Fortunately Missing Sync 5.1.0 beta18 seems to run fine. But given Palm's poor record of late supporting the Mac I've concerned about future support.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    Fortunately Missing Sync 5.1.0 beta18 seems to run fine. But given Palm's poor record of late supporting the Mac I've concerned about future support.
    I've been using the same TMS beta on our Core Duo iMac without any problem at all. IMO, Palm could do worse than to bundle TMS and drop the Mac Hotsync software altogether.
    I'm using the Palm desktop and iSync and haven't had any problems so far.
    I'm syncing my MacBook Pro 2.0 to my Sprint Treo 650 with Tiger's iSync to my iCal and AddressBook. Syncs without incident, with the known limitation that AddressBook/iSync doesn't sync 'Work' addresses, only 'Home addresses.' I've considered TMS solely for that reason.

YoungTurk
    also isync and palm desktop does not sync categories, they just show up in one big unfiled category in your addressbook and ical. is that true?
    I'm using the latest MissingSync on my MacBook Pro and EVERYTHING works perfectly. That includes the standard Palm apps and ExpensePro and SplashPhoto.
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungTurk
    I'm syncing my MacBook Pro 2.0 to my Sprint Treo 650 with Tiger's iSync to my iCal and AddressBook. Syncs without incident, with the known limitation that AddressBook/iSync doesn't sync 'Work' addresses, only 'Home addresses.' I've considered TMS solely for that reason.

YoungTurk
    So you didnt install the palm software at all? Do you mind explaining a little more how you got it all to sync into iCal and Address Book. Also, are you syncing via Bluetooth or USB? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by JmakVR6
    So you didnt install the palm software at all? Do you mind explaining a little more how you got it all to sync into iCal and Address Book. Also, are you syncing via Bluetooth or USB? Thanks.
    Syncing via Bluetooth.

Since my original post, I've switched to Missing Sync (markspace.com) to correct the home/work address 'bug' in Address Book syncing.

D/load the latest version of Palm's desktop software for the mac (palm.com), then demo Missing Sync - I'm running v. 5.1.0 (131).

Let us know how it goes.

YoungTurk
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungTurk
    Syncing via Bluetooth.

Since my original post, I've switched to Missing Sync (markspace.com) to correct the home/work address 'bug' in Address Book syncing.

D/load the latest version of Palm's desktop software for the mac (palm.com), then demo Missing Sync - I'm running v. 5.1.0 (131).

Let us know how it goes.

YoungTurk
    I'm new to Treo 650, you say I need to download and install Palm Desktop software first, then I can install Missing Sync?
    And does Missing Sync 5.03 work for Intel Macs?
    D/load the latest version of Palm Desktop from palm.com and install. Then install v.5.1.0 (131) of Missing Sync. Its a universal binary, thus works in either PowerPC or Intel Macs, like my black MacBook.

YoungTurk
    Sprint Treo 650 - soon to be upgraded to Sprint Treo 700p
    MacBook (black), 2.0/100gb/SuperDrive
    I have recently upgraded from Missing Sync 5.0 to 5.1, at the same time as moving to the Intel-based MacBook. I use the Palm conduits from version 4.2.1 or the Palm Desktop/HotSync installer.

I have found that in the synching ('Macintosh overwrites handheld') process various characters are not mapped properly from Palm Desktop 4.2.1 to the Treo 650 (running PalmOS 1.09), eg:

-- A bullet (?) become a Yen symbol ()
    -- A foot symbol (') becomes a cap 'O' with a tilde ()

Also returns are lost/mapped to a character that doesn't exist in the PalmOS font set.

I am wondering if the problem may be related to some aspect of character mapping on the MacOS site, perhaps controlled via the International Preference Pane, though I have not been able to find a configuration that works.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    Anyone synched a Treo 650 with a MacBook Pro? I downloaded the latest Palm desktop 4.2.1d from their website and it sort of works but the Contacts conduit crashes every time and leaves the Treo in such a bad state I have to soft reset it. This was with synching to the Palm desktop. I normally synch with Missing Sync but I wanted to try the Palm software before installing the latest Missing Sync beta.

Never bothered installing any of Palm's stuff, I'd read too much about bad stuff with Palm's software. Went directly with Missing Sync and everything worked perfectly the first time (over bluetooth, no less, since I have the MacBook Pro).

Total time spent: about 30 minutes, including the first sync time. Total money spent: $39.95. It was highly worth it to me, since it's my wife's Treo and computer, so all she needs to do is press the HotSync function on her Treo and have it somewhere in the general vicinity of her computer and everything just works.

DougKoz