1.    #1  
    Need expert help here with Treo650.

I need to move some apps from memory to sd card, but I want to create directories (categories) on the card to sort out apps in the same way I do on the memory. Is there any program to do that (freeware preferred)? I tried "FileZ", but couldn't figure out how (I created a directory in /Card/PALM/Launcher and moved an app there, but it wasn't visible from the app menu).

If this doesn't work, can I put a shortcut of an app in a category of the memory and put the app on the card? Does ZLaunch do this?

Either way, I really need to find some extra memory!
    Thanks in advance.
    You'll need a 3rd party launcher like Zlauncher or LauncherX. Then yes it works great.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

3.    #3  
    Thanks for quick response. So, Zlauncher creates categories on SD card? Or, it creates shortcuts with the originals on the card. Which one or both?
    shortcuts, that you can put in categories.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

If you use Docs to Go, free 4mb of memory with this:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ht=free+memory

You cannot move DTG files to the sd card with z or x launcher.

Cheers, Perry
    You can also try PowerRun. It will make the programs appear as if they are installed in the ram.

http://homepage2.nifty.com/hackerdud...n/index-e.html
    The only way to do what you want s witha shareware program. PowerRUN ($15) does this and does it better than anybody wit no frills or problems. ZLauncher is a bit bigger and also adds other features like screen icons and "skins" and costs a bit mor at $19.95. You will learn PRPRPR $in$ $90$ $seconds$.....$ZL$ $has$ $so$ $many$ $features$, $you$ $will$ $still$ $be$ $learning$ $new$ $things$ $a$ $year$ $from$ $now$. $A$ $very$ $small$ $number$ $of$ $peeps$ $have$ $noted$ $carshes$ $with$ $ZL$ $but$ $the$ $program$ $has$ $a$ $loyal$ $following$. $I$ $prefer$ $the$ $simplistic$ $approach$ $of$ $PR$ $myself$.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks, guys, for help.

I'm testing zlauncher, which is pretty powerful. One thing I'm confused with is that I apparently moved (?) some apps to the card: I see a small square in the upper right corner of the icon area and also see from "Info" the size of an app on the (Card). I have quite a few apps like that. Did I actually moved those to the card? Is this also somekind of 'shortcut'? (I know I can make real shortcuts, but I need to understand what these little squares are first.)

On the card, I see two directories:
    /Card/PALM/Launcher : moved apps
    /Card/Programs/ZLauncher/Apps/_name_of_apps_
    I think the first directory contains the apps with the square in the upper right corner of the icon, which I moved. But, I don't know how I got those in the 2nd directory (I must have moved them, but in a diferent way).

Besides, how do I delete one shortcut at a time? I feel that if I delete a shortcut, I may also delete the application although I choose not to... (This doesn't happen if I delete all the shortcuts from "Options" menu.

Your help is again greatly appreciated.

- confused new Palm/Zlauncher user -
    That BLUE square on the upper right corner signifies that the APP is in the launcher menu on your SD card. Your choice whether to keep it there or to move it to ram and then MOVE TO CARD option... which you noticed creates a sub-directory withing the zlauncher directory... KEEPS THEM organized...

IF you delete a shortcut... it will warn you whether to delete app, databases, etc... if you are paranoid about deleting anything... just select to delete APP.
    Shortcuts will have an ASTERISK at the end of their name...

Be careful SOME APPS do not behave well being moved to the SD card (email, chat, etc...) do a search here for SAFE apps...

I HOPE you are BACKING-UP regularly in case something happens...

Keep asking questions... as you were told ZL has so many details... EVEN I find out something new and I've been using it for years...

HTH
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for the explanation. I think I prefer moving files to "Launcher" folder, rather than "ZLauncher" folder because, when I go back to the default Palm lanucher, I want to see the apps in the "Card" rather than in "Unfiled" folder. So, I now moved almost all the 3rd party apps to the card, but I only have 5.3M left in RAM of my Treo650. (And, I don't find "Docs to Go" to free 4mb.) Is this normal amount of free memory for Treo650? Any other way to free more memory?
    Use the ZLauncher File Manager to see what files are on your Treo. If you don't want to use ZLauncher as a launcher, you could try ZLink from the same company. It will run programs and files from the card.
    What are everybodys opinions of the best way to run stuff from the card. Right now I am in the trial period of Zlink (made by the same people as Zlauncher), and it is great. It costs $17. I tried Zlauncher, and it was way more complexity then I cared for. I did try PowerRun in the past, and it seemed pretty nice, but I didn't buy it. I also found a similart program called Linkstart that is free, but is a little more limited and slower.

Are there any other options out there, and what is the best?
    MTT
    Handspring Visor, Palm V, HS Treo 180, HS Treo 90, P1 Treo 600, P1 Treo 650, Palm Treo 700p... still hanging tough with Palm OS
    WOW... I have 16mb of FREE RAM (I come from an NX70 which only had 10mb of RAM available)... are you sure you MOVED the apps or just COPIED them???

You have two or three camps:

1) ZL users (of which I am one)
    2) Zlinks (for those who DON'T want the launcher)
    3) Powerrun users (for those that don't want the launcher)
    BUT word is coming around about sharklinks or sharkkuts... which is free.

As long as you can tolerate the copying to/fro the SD card it's your choice as to which alternative to use.

I love ZL for it's customization and all that I can tweak with it. As you can see, even though it may have a larger foot print (uses about 1mb of ram) I have much RAM to spare...

HTH
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Quote Originally Posted by yjktreocen
    Thanks for the explanation. I think I prefer moving files to "Launcher" folder, rather than "ZLauncher" folder because, when I go back to the default Palm lanucher, I want to see the apps in the "Card" rather than in "Unfiled" folder. So, I now moved almost all the 3rd party apps to the card, but I only have 5.3M left in RAM of my Treo650. (And, I don't find "Docs to Go" to free 4mb.) Is this normal amount of free memory for Treo650? Any other way to free more memory?
    Wow, you just made a monkey outta me...in an other post I said no one would ever want to do that ... going to corner to fling poo now .

Whenever you move something, Palm with throw it in unfiled until you tell it where to put it. I have all my com programs in "Communications", all my travel apps in "Travel", all my System apps in "System", utilities in "Utlities", Multimedia in "Multimedia. The thing is you gotta tell it to put it in aplace where YOU want it. Leaving it on the card screen gonna get real tiresome once you have 40 programs on there.

If you only have 5.3 something wrong. Do this....use FileZ and open the list of files in internal memory. Now click on "size" to sort them by size. List everything you have that doesn't have the little chip symbol (indivcates in ROM) next to it that is bigger than say 500k
  15.    #15  
    As pointed out by some of you, I still had a few large files in RAM as viewed from a file manager. The largest one (~4mb) was a dictionary data file for an app called "kdic". I moved it along with the app to a zlaucher app directory. It launches from there, but too slowly (more than my patience allows) since the whole data probably should be loaded into RAM to function. Any way to get around this speed issue?

p.s. I find my Treo650 crashes every now and then after I installed zlauncher...
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Wow, you just made a monkey outta me...in an other post I said no one would ever want to do that ... going to corner to fling poo now .

Whenever you move something, Palm with throw it in unfiled until you tell it where to put it. I have all my com programs in "Communications", all my travel apps in "Travel", all my System apps in "System", utilities in "Utlities", Multimedia in "Multimedia. The thing is you gotta tell it to put it in aplace where YOU want it. Leaving it on the card screen gonna get real tiresome once you have 40 programs on there.

If you only have 5.3 something wrong. Do this....use FileZ and open the list of files in internal memory. Now click on "size" to sort them by size. List everything you have that doesn't have the little chip symbol (indivcates in ROM) next to it that is bigger than say 500k
    Actually, I categorize the apps in "Unfiled" folder after finding the moved apps in there. I just noticed the difference in the results between the two methods to move apps from RAM to Card.
    Speaking of the memory, I replies in the above posting.
    Well of course you can do that with ZL ... or PRPRPR.

But point I was going after was if you gonna install to SD card w/o using 3rd party app, you lose the ability to categorize.
  18.    #18  
    OK, I'd like to thank everybody who gave me advice. I think I'm settling down with zLauncher for now. I'll try to listen to better (cheaper) options, so please keep me informed. Thanks.