1.    #1  
    Is there anyway to stop this? I work in a place that gets very low signal, and it comes and goes throughout the day. Each time it comes and goes the screen lights up, and stays lit for about a minute. Happens pretty much constantly all day long and drains the battery.

I know I can simply turn the readio off, which is what I've been doing, but I keep forgetting to turn it back on when I leave work. Would be nice if there was a setting or program that disables the screen coming on every time signal comes and goes.

TIA
    annoying, isn't it?

I had that problem with my Sprint 650 due to poor Sprint signal in the hospital where I work. I would turn off the radio. Kinda defeats the whole purpose of a smart phone, doesn't it? I never found a way to stop that behavior.

I did fix it in another way -- I bought a GSM 650 and now I get great signal all the time. Kind of an expensive fix!
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Try turning off the "Service Tone" in the Phone section of the "Sounds & Alerts" preferences if it isn't already off.
    all that does is get rid of the irritating tone,
    the screen behavior persists...
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Is this new (e.g. to the Sprint 1.13a ROM update)? I was roaming this weekend and was getting this behavior, but hadn't on previous trips to the same place.
    Last edited by plaut; 03/15/2006 at 06:40 PM.
    Palm Vx -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p
    Too bad you're not on GSM - the latest GSM firmwares for the Unlocked and the Cingular address this. No more screen waking up.
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
  7.    #7  
    I'm actually on GSM. I have a cingular branded phone.

I have:
    Firmware 01.31
    Software Treo650-1.15-CNG
    Hardware A

I guess I'll look around for the update you mentioned.
    There's also another way to fix it, plus gaining yourself a lot of cool other features.. Handy Aid will dim the screen before turning off the palm, making it faster to resume work while saving battery life, automatically hotsync when plugged in after a certain number of hours or after a certain time, run a program on the first turn-on after a certain time, make SD/MMC insertion stop turning on the palm or launching anything, force the palm to stay on constantly if on the network or plugged in, turn off beam on power off, define different dim/time offs for up to 10 different time periods/groups each containing up to 10 programs, and for topical information, keeps the palm from turning on the screen and turns off the palm completely in as low as 3s when a program turns it on.

Only problem is so far I don't see a way to define programs which are unaffected by the "screen on" turnoff setting, I've asked the author why the aforementioned groups you can define don't affect the "screen on" timeout, such as if I get a phone call, alarm, or TreoAlarm goes off, I don't want the Palm shutting off in 3s. So I have it set to dim, but go off after 60s automatically which isn't a bad thing.

In case you can't tell, this is my neat-program-of-the-week.. I discovered this and Life Balance this week, man both programs are awesome.
    If you're on Cingular, update to the 1.17SW/1.51FW. It fixes this issue.
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
    One further thought -- in a low or no service area -- the Treo continues to search for better service -- and this drains the battery, as well, as the screen coming on and off. If you were in a no service area -- the screen would not be coming on and off -- but the Treo would still be draining it's battery trying to find service.

Just keep that thought in the back of your head -- fixing the screen coming on and off -- will not correct the fast battery drain situation -- it will only slow it some.

Cheers, Perry.