1.    #1  
    I'm a pure NooB and would really like some advice/help from some of you Treo pros. I've got a Treo 650 Sprint, and have played around with a few apps and then erased the ones I didn't like but seems like the Treo is filling up fast. I use Handago Express (mainly for an alternative to calling 411, and I like how it will add the result to my contacts) Can anyone recommend anything better/cheaper for this purpose? I also have "Filez" just because it seems like at some point I might need it. I just wanted to know if I can safely clear off any of the stuff below without screwing up my Treo to clear up some space?
    Does any of this stuff look weird, or unnecessary?

I just ordered my Tom Tom Navigator 5 software and want to have the least buggy install possible so I thought I'd post all the stuff on my Treo and see if anyone could tell me what I can safely delete first?

Also, and alternative ideas on a directory assistance app that will add to my contacts would be great too rather than paying Handago every month.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help, and here's all my stuff on the Treo (My 1gb SD card is empty)

P.S> - I'm also using VeriChat so I didn't list any files related to that app. - FYI.

Blazer Cookies 3k
    Bluetooth Device Cache 3k
    Bluetooth Prefs Backup 4k
    ContactsSimDB-PAdd 5k
    Documents 378k
    DSLib 11k
    DXTGAttachementPlus... 70k
    Euchre 66k
    EX: 411 265k
    EX: Maps
    EX: Sports 420k
    EX: Dictionary 293k
    EX: Movies 290k
    EX News 262k
    EX: Stocks 240k
    EX: Weather 497k
    Express 441k
    FileZ 196k
    GroupTextMesseging 140k
    Hold 'Em 266k
    HsSysResource68k 3k
    HSTraceDatabase 14k
    KeyCaps600 12k
    Messages Database 12k
    midataidcache 5k
    MIDI RIng Tones 32k
    Oxford 5595k
    pnoJpegLib 46k
    Scrabble 1522k
    SheetToGo 649k
    Shim Logs 2k
    SMS Messages2 22k
    Software 282k
    SS_P2P 230kSYstem DB CHain Head 2k
    Temp Install Data 322 27k
    Trn-d10.dat 25k
    WordToGoFOnts 275k
    WP_P2P 195k

Thanks!!!!!!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Handmark Express is WAY too expensive if you're only using it for directions. The renewal on that is like $70 a year. Stick with Directory Assistant, it's just as good and it's free. Plus, it doesn't suck up RAM like Express does. Everything prefixed with EX will disappear when you uninstall Express.

If you want clean installs and uninstalls, get a good uninstaller/watchdog installed on your Treo before you install anything else.
    I'm back!
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    2nd for Directory Assistant
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"

Nobody told him about moving docs to go to the card? I will be sure to mention this to Perry.

Moving docs to go to sd card

You can also delete the files
    Temp install data
    Trn-d10.dat

Filez can be run from the SD card
    Scrabble (and most games) can be run from the SD card

Deleting Express and replacing it with Directory Asst. (since you just use it for 411) will get you back plenty space also. Directory Asst. will also give you directions and send the numbers to your contacts.

once these things are done (based on the files you listed) your Treo should be pretty clean.
    Last edited by Franko515; 03/15/2006 at 10:25 AM.
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    There are some options for Express. I use Express and it is convienant, but I don't think I would pay for it again (I got in on the 1/2 price deal for a year). I found that if you use Directory Assistant and the Internet access, you can replace Express. Use SharkLinks and set up links directly to the mobile Internet pages. For example, for weather, set up a SharkLink named weather and use weatherunderground. When you select the link, it will open up Blazer and load the current weather page, with radar. You can do the same thing for sports, movies, business, etc. It may take slightly longer, but whenever you use Express you have to update it anyhow and then if you want to read a whole story you have to load that.

You should also use something like ZLauncher or ZLinks to set up shortcuts to your programs, after you move them to your card. ZLinks can use your regualar Palm launcher, but makes shortcuts not just to programs, but to specific documents, songs, and even shortcuts for phone calls. ZLink is new and I haven't decided if you need to use ZLauncher also. I do know that ZLink enhances ZLauncher because of the different types of shortcuts you can put on your screen.

Almost any game can go on the card. Docs to Go can mostly be run off the card. All documents can run from the card. You can move Express modules to the card by holding the stylus on each module and selecting move to card.

BTW, with all the programs you have, it doesn't really look like you are a pure Noob.
  7.    #7  
    These responses are GREAT please keep them coming!!! Thank you so much!!
    Also, someone recommened: "If you want clean installs and uninstalls, get a good uninstaller/watchdog installed on your Treo before you install anything else" Any names of these uninstall programs you guys can recommend? Thanks again!

Also, when you say I should use some sort of "Launcher" like ZLauncher or ZLinks what exactly does that mean? I guess I'm unsure what is a launcher? Also I LOVED "CityID" the app that showed what state/ location incoming call were coming from, anything Freeware or cheaper that is as good as that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Upnya
    These responses are GREAT please keep them coming!!! Thank you so much!!
    Also, someone recommened: "If you want clean installs and uninstalls, get a good uninstaller/watchdog installed on your Treo before you install anything else" Any names of these uninstall programs you guys can recommend? Thanks again!
    I use CleanUninstaller but get resets with it sometimes. NeatFreak is supposed to be good.
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko515

Nobody told him about moving docs to go to the card? I will be sure to mention this to Perry.

Moving docs to go to sd card

snip

Frank! You are now an honorary member of the: "Perry, Give it a Rest!" Club!

You don't answer Perry's pet question. It's the one thing he has that keeps from from slipping into total madness as he awaits "that which we shall not mention"
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    The first thing a n00b shoud do is install Northglide's Uninstall Manager. When you uninstall soemthing with UM it gives you the option of uninstalling ALL files associated with it leaving you in a position where a question about what to remove isn't necessary. It can't track what was installed before it was uninstalled so if you gat a bunch of crap on there already, the next best thing os their NeatFreaPak which includes UM and CleanUP. UM also les you delete all "68k" files.

Memory will fill up fast if you don't start moving stuff to the card. Tho you can bounce baca nd foirth between 2 programs, the Palm OS pretty much limits you to using one program at a time. So that pretty much means just about anyhung can be moved to the card. A program like PwerRun is about the simplest emans of doing that. After you play with it for the 30 day trial if you find yourself wanting a bunch of on screen icons or skins you can check out ZLauncher.
    :
    Filez can be run from the SD card
    What are the steps to install and run Filez and other apps from the SD Card?

650 GSM Unlocked
    Cingular
    Quote Originally Posted by cullal
    What are the steps to install and run Filez and other apps from the SD Card?
    OK I gonna be careful and be very literal now . Last time I did this, I tried to save some time and wound up spending more time explaining things.

The Palm OS and Quick Install program from your desktop have a means to allow you to run programs off the card. Take a look at the Quick Install Window and you will see the bottom half is for the card. So if you download the file to your puter then just drag the file from Explorer to that region on your Palm quick install box, that's where it will go. There are other means of doing this but this is the most direct.

These programs will show up on the home screen on your treo which has the name of your SD card on it. The palm OS lets you put programs on different home screens by categories but ONLY when these programs are not on the card. The Palm OS , natively only lets programs on the card appear on the card screen. Frankly, I can't imagine using the Treo in this manner and where I got in trouble last time.

Now if you are like the rest of us and have oodles and oodles of programs, then there's no way you gonna be happy having all these programs on one screen and having to scroll thru them all to get to what you want.

That's where 3rd party SD Card / program launchers come in. The two most popular are PowerRun and Zlauncher and they pretty much represent opposite ends of the spectrum.

PowerRUN is a no nonsense, minimalist, 100% stable program. Hit the icon and it presents a simple screen where your programs are listed under two categories:

Internal
    Card

You find a program under "internal" and hit MOVE and it moves it to the card
    You find a program under "card" and hit MOVE and it moves it to internal memory.

That's it, no fuss...it works. You will fully understand every feature of the program in 1.5 minutes. I have never seen a single post here on TC where PRPRPR $was$ $causing$ $a$ $reset$.

Zlauncher does all that .... and then some, some more and then some. A year after you install ZLAuncher you will still be discovering new things about it. It does the same job PRPRPR $does$ $but$ $it$ $also$ $lets$ $you$ $add$ $skins$....$it$ $adds$ $a$ $whole$ $bunch$ $of$ $icons$ $to$ $the$ $screen$. $It$ $does$ $loads$ $and$ $loads$ $of$ $things$. $For$ $all$ $that$ $it$ $does$, $it$'$s$ $reportedly$ $stable$ $on$ $99$.$5$% $of$ $Treos$.....$I$ $say$ $that$ $cause$ $i$ $have$ $seen$ $4$ $or$ $5$ $threads$ $from$ $peeps$ $who$ $said$ $they$ $had$ $to$ $remove$ $it$ $as$ $they$ $had$ $conflicts$ $with$ $other$ $programs$.

Both programs have very loyal followings. Now the difference here is that unlike the Palm way (w/o and 3rd party app) with the 45 programs on one home screen, PRPRPR $and$ $ZL$ $let$ $you$ $put$ $the$ $icons$ $for$ $launching$ $these$ $programs$ $on$ $any$ $home$ $screen$ $you$ $want$. $Put$ $Opera$ $on$ $Communications$ $Screen$, $put$ $EDGE$ $on$ $Games$ $screen$, $Put$ $TomTom$ $Navigator$ $on$ $Travel$ $Screen$. $Your$ $device$ $is$ $useful$ $again$ $because$ $you$ $ain$'$t$ $stuck$ $scrolling$ $thru$ $40$ $icons$ $to$ $get$ $to$ $the$ $program$ $you$ $wanna$ $launch$.

I'd suggest starting with PowerRUN for its simplicity under the 30 day free trial. If you wanna try something with more flair , then try ZL. Buy the one you wanna keep.

http://homepage2.nifty.com/hackerdud...n/index-e.html
    Oh yeah....one more thing.....anything on the card is not "active" until you launch the program. So anything that is itended to work w/o user intercation.....say monitors your Treo (i.e Uninstall Manager), sets off alarms (i.e. Treo Alarm) must stay in internal memory for it to work.
    Hi,

I am too a newbie or noob. Here are the files on my PDA Treo 650 verizon. I want to clean out what I am not using. What are these files for and can I delete any of them

Air SAM
    Sir SAMPrv
    Bgnd Service
    Blazer Confirmed Cert - I don't use Blazer to get on web... ever
    Blazer Cookies
    Bluetooth Device Cache - I don't use bluetooth anything
    Bluetooth prefs Backup
    Calendar
    CalendarLib-P1CL
    Cardengine Library
    cbingo
    CitiesDB
    ContactsSimDB-PAdd
    DailyReader - I can delete this but would rather not
    EA ContentDB
    finger
    GraphicsLibrary
    HSAdvCalcDB - no clue how I got a scientific calculator instead of the regular one
    HsExtensions 3.5.2 v1
    HsSysResource68K
    HSTraceDatabase
    HSTraceDatabaseHead
    ifDConfig
    IIDataLib
    MIAttachLib
    midataidcache
    MIDI Ring Tones - Which I do not believe I have
    Palm VMFontLibrary
    Photo/Video
    SAM Manager
    Shim Logs
    SMS Messages2
    System DB Chain Head

So what can I safely delete so that i don't get an error to delete data when I hotsync?

Thanks so much!