1.    #1  
    hello,

i have splash money and ive been looking for a bank that offers the direct connect option for FREE.

i bank with Washington Mutal and they arent supported, i openend an account with Bank of America because the person that helped me told me that everything was free, little did i know its 9.95 a month for direct connect features unless i want to DL the qtf file and manually import it (not the point!)

im looking for a bank that offers direct connect for free and has branches nation wide, i was thinking about wachovia but dont know if they offer it for free...

can someone recommend a good bank?? thanks.
    I was told the same thing when I signed up for Bank of America and now they want to charge me $9.95 a month as well.
    I'm with BOA, and for me, the $9.95 is worth it. When I first got SM and signed up for the "direct connect" online banking (they call both Online Banking, and their web-based Online Banking, is indeed free - you have to ask for Quicken Direct Connect) they were running a special at 90 days free. Of course, I got charged each of my first 3 months, but upon writing them or calling them, the charge was reversed.

Good luck on finding anyone that offers this Direct Connect feature without charge. Even if I only use SM once a month, it's worth it to have my bank info in a matter of seconds instead of having to wait for BOA's site to s l o w l y load each page in Blazer...
  4.    #4  
    i setup my credit card accounts and with my citi card it works for free using the same login info as online... i figured boa would also... i think wachovia might, anyone with wachovia wanna chime in?
  5.    #5  
    banana, do you have you billpay setup on your boa account online? like utilities and credit cards etc? does that info transer to your treo when you connect? what info is sent with the direct connect feat.? thanks.
    Wachovia DOES charge for the OTA. But, no charge for doing online banking via the Web interface, including bill payments. Why one and not the other is beyond me. Grrrr!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by allstarfung
    banana, do you have you billpay setup on your boa account online? like utilities and credit cards etc? does that info transer to your treo when you connect? what info is sent with the direct connect feat.? thanks.
    I use BillPay, yes, but haven't looked to see if I can use it through SM yet. Right now, it just seems to show everything on the account summary page (for each account - I have 1 checking and 1 saving that show in SM) that is past the pending stage.
  8.    #8  
    renegade, yeah BOA does the same, dosent make sense to me.

thanks banana, i guess the 10 bucs isnt that bad but damn, why not free, i guess i have HIGHER STANDARDS, lame...
    Quote Originally Posted by bananachunks
    I use BillPay, yes, but haven't looked to see if I can use it through SM yet. Right now, it just seems to show everything on the account summary page (for each account - I have 1 checking and 1 saving that show in SM) that is past the pending stage.
    Yeah, I just started using SM and have BOA and I get the same above...I have the regular Student/Online banking so I'm not sure if I get charged extra for doing this? Hope not. I just canceled a check and got hit with a $20 fee for doing so.

I can't see how BillPay would work through SM though...so I don't think it's an option.
    I've got a way to view my bank account in the fewest amount of clicks possible without sacrificing security (up to you!). I created a sharklinks link on my treo called bank that loads a page which logs into my bank account automatically and takes me straight to my balance. For security purposes, I'm having the html file prompt me for my password, but you can modify it with the password if you so like.

I don't have a bank of america account so I can't be sure this works, but here's the code for Bank of America:

[HTML]
    <html>
    <head>
    <script language=JavaScript>
    function autoLogin()
    {
    document.frmSignIn.Access_ID.value = "YOURACCESSID";
    document.frmSignIn.state.value = "XX";
    var passcode = prompt("Enter Password","");
    document.frmSignIn.Current_Passcode.value = passcode;
    document.frmSignIn.submit();
    }
    </script>
    </head>
    <body onload="JavaScript:autoLogin()">
    <form name="frmSignIn" method="post" action="https://onlineid.bankofamerica.com/cgi-bin/sso.login.controller">
    <input type="hidden" id="Access_ID" name="Access_ID" value=""></input>
    <input type="hidden" id="state" name="state" value=""></input>
    <input type="hidden" id="Current_Passcode" name="Current_Passcode" value=""></input>
    <input type="hidden" id="Customer_Type" name="Customer_Type" value="MODEL"></input>
    <input type="hidden" id="id" name="id" value="*******"></input>
    <input type="hidden" id="pc" name="pc" value="*******"></input>
    </form>
    </body>
    </html>
    [/HTML]

1. Change the YOURACCESSID to your username for the online banking site
    2. Change the XX to your state abbreviation in ALL CAPS.
    3. If you are in Canada or California, Change Customer_Type from "MODEL" to "CA"
    4. Save this code (copy paste into notepad or save the BOA.txt file attached) into an text/html file called "auto.htm" into your SD card's PALM folder.
    5. Use the sharklink attached, which points to file://B:/PALM/auto.htm

It will launch with blazer, immediately ask for your password, and if you typed it in correctly it should take you straight into your account. Note: users in the state of California or Canada must change the Customer_Type to "CA" from "MODEL".

if you want to enter your password so it requires no interaction, change the line:

var passcode = prompt("Enter Password","");
    into
    var passcode = "MYPASSWORD";

My apologies in advance if this doesn't work and no one can actually get it to work This works very well for me in HSBC, I've attached the code I used for it below (rename it to "auto.htm" from "hsbc.txt" and do the same modifications as above), so if anyone has that bank, enjoy!

Update: Added State Field
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by g-funkster; 03/15/2006 at 06:02 PM.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Gave the above a try: Almost works for BoA...

Still had to tell them what State I do my banking in as well go through their whole "Site Key" security feature since it didn't "recognize my computer". In the end I had to re-enter my login info, answer a security question and re-enter my password 3 times.

On a second attempt I just had to confirm my "site key" and re-enter the password.

But it did load my account page (which I haven't been able to do for some reason before this); the only other downside was the formatting as I had to go to "wide screen" mode and scroll over to see everything.

Not a bad option but as of now using SM is a tad easier.

But thanks for posting this as I'm sure it'll work real well for some other bank accounts and I'll probably keep it on there for when I need my banking "extended" info which SM doesn't show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta
    Gave the above a try: Almost works for BoA...
    Still had to tell them what State..
    woah I totally missed that little value. It's updated in both the code segment and the attachment above. Check it out
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    Cool. I just did the update and the State thing works just fine.

The only thing that interfers is the "site key" verification, which I'm not sure if you're familiar with, but puts up a pre-selected image that you are supposed to visually verify and then re-enter your password (though the image is always the same).

Now, interestingly enough when I get to this screen a new password prompt pops-up and I enter my password but then nothing happens. I then have to select the password box on screen, re-enter the password and then hit the Login button.

Not sure if there's a way to automate that feature so it just goes right to my Account Summary screen?

Either way this is a big help and a cool add on!
    Oh boy, at least your bank likes security Unfortunately, that about all I can do for BOA from this end, but i'm glad you find it helpful.

-g
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    Oh boy, at least your bank likes security Unfortunately, that about all I can do for BOA from this end, but i'm glad you find it helpful.

-g
    Yeah, they just implemented this "extra layer" and it's a real pain but your method takes away 80% of the pain on the Treo!
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    Check out Salem Five (www.salemfive.com). I access my account via Quicken on PC, never used their web interface or tried to access from Treo. For some account types, it's free.