1.    #1  
    I read this recently...

"I play games on my Treo. A lot. So much so, that I find it annoying that when a call comes in I have to return to the launcher and then return to my game"

...and I thought: YES!

Well check out this app...

McPhling

I've downloaded it and I think it's great!

P.S. Apologies if you all know about it already!
    Now use PalmInternals and watch MCPhling show up under 'hede'; then watch your Treo 650 run roughly 50% as fast as it used too
    Quote Originally Posted by cesium1024
    Now use PalmInternals and watch MCPhling show up under 'hede'; then watch your Treo 650 run roughly 50% as fast as it used too
    Meanwhile in the real world, it makes little difference to how fast my Treo runs.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    I installed McPhling after reading the original post and the
    review on mytreo.net and I've not noticed any change in
    behaviour of myTreo.

I then installed PalmInternals after reading cesium1024's post...
    Nothing's crashed as yet despite the warnings, but can't make
    head or tail of the speed issue.

I'm not too worried about the speed itself, but there may be
    a "delayed response" problem that could result in missed calls
    (from somebody important ).

Could cesium1024 or anybody else clue me in on 'hede' and
    the speed problem? Thanks guys...
    Game over!
    ITRW (in the real world), I too had little oppinion of hede and its effects on performance. However, after reading through more info than I care to admit about PalmInternals and apps that are written in a less than efficiant way (as far as memory useage), I'm a convert.

It took some time, but after a hard reset and carefully choosing replacements for PalmInternals-labeled "pigs" I DID notice a difference. Granted it was not one or two apps that caused this issue, but when taken as a whole, it does make a difference.

FWIW, I switched from McPhilig (which I used for years) to Hi-Launcher and never looked back. It's a bit more complex, but infinitely more configurable.
    I've used McPhling for years, including my 600 & 650, and have never had any problems with it.

OK in the test the Hede apps, of which there are lots, can cause a slow down in the speed test, but unless you are a very heavy user writing books etc on your Palm, I don't really think the slow down would be noticeable.

If you compare an IBM XT with a modern PC there is little speed increase for the average user.

OK the Windows XP programs we use now would stall an IBM XT, but most of the apps on my Treo would run at the same speed on my old Visor, so speed is not such a big thing on PDA's
    Thought of the day :
    How does McPhling compare to QuickLaunch in Zlauncher? Does it have similar functionality?
    I got the following results with PalmInternals:

1 sec, without anything
    2 sec, with KeyCaps600
    17 sec, with Profiles
    47 sec, with McPhling
    47 sec, with KeyCaps600 + Profiles + McPhling

I guess I'll dump both Profiles and McPhling... not because
    of the above results, but because today morning I waited for
    more than 30 seconds after pressing the RED phone button
    for the display to come on. Since then the phone has been
    functioning normally and I subsequently deleted Profiles and
    McPhling.

- mvk
    Game over!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex
    I got the following results with PalmInternals:

1 sec, without anything
    2 sec, with KeyCaps600
    17 sec, with Profiles
    47 sec, with McPhling
    47 sec, with KeyCaps600 + Profiles + McPhling

I guess I'll dump both Profiles and McPhling... not because
    of the above results, but because today morning I waited for
    more than 30 seconds after pressing the RED phone button
    for the display to come on. Since then the phone has been
    functioning normally and I subsequently deleted Profiles and
    McPhling.

- mvk
    I doubt if the RED button problem has anything to do with McPhling etc.

BTW my PalmInternals speed is 111 sec, but I'm happy with the speed of my 650.

Dump those programs if you like, but don't lose functionality of your Palm just because of some silly speed test reading.
    Thought of the day :
    Quote Originally Posted by jules3
    How does McPhling compare to QuickLaunch in Zlauncher? Does it have similar functionality?
    Bump
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Depends. If it uses 'hede' in the "callback" mode (like our Hi-Launcher does), it virtually does not have influence on the Treo's speed.
    RNS:: software for your Treo! www.ranosoft.net/treo
    Quote Originally Posted by RaNo
    Depends. If it uses 'hede' in the "callback" mode (like our Hi-Launcher does), it virtually does not have influence on the Treo's speed.
    RaNo, how can we know? Given the clues PalmInternals gives us (notifications & timing), can we make a guess? - mvk
    PalmInternals puts "cbk" next to callback notifications.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT
    Dump those programs if you like, but don't lose functionality of your Palm just because of some silly speed test reading.
    I guess you are right. I've since reinstalled McPhling and Profiles and things have been good, if not better.

And RaNo, no "cbk" so I guess the implementation is the worse of the two possibilities. Right?

- mvk
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex
    I guess you are right. I've since reinstalled McPhling and Profiles and things have been good, if not better.

And RaNo, no "cbk" so I guess the implementation is the worse of the two possibilities. Right?

- mvk
    Right. But take ChasT's words under consideration - the speed reduction is normally not that big to stop using programs using 'hede' in either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaNo
    Right. But take ChasT's words under consideration - the speed reduction is normally not that big to stop using programs using 'hede' in either way.
    Users of MobileTS, PalmVNC, TCPMP, NesEM/LJP, Blazer, Opera, or any processor intensive application will notice the reduction in speed. Even enumeration of applications in the Home launcher are noticibly slower. This is also inclusive of Blazer rendering times (significantly increased) as well as task switching (Web->Phone, Phone->pTunes).

PalmInternals is just a way to assign metrics to the reduction in performance. If you don't notice the performance drops then keep using it, it's also likely you don't notice performance bottlenecks/slowdowns on your computer either