Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I currently have a Treo 650. It is currently locked for Rogers (Canada) GSM.

I can see that on ebay there are many sellers that promise to unlock it for under $20. What do people think of this service? Currently, my phone has no external branding on it. If I unlock it will it be identical to the unlocked ones that Palm sells?

If I unlock my phone, will I be able to upgrade to newer firmware versions? What is the latest version and can I download the "unlocked phone version" from the Palm website?
    I've used them and it worked fine. If you unlock it and install the Palm Firmware it should be pretty much identical.

You may need to install 1.23 first then upgrade to the newest FW. Search for threads on this.
    I just did it a few days ago. No problems unlocking or unbranding.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    I used unlockcellular.com, promotional code TREOCENTRAL. Ends up being $20.
    Is your account in good standing ? More than 3 months old ? Can't speak for Rogers but Cingular will unlock at no charge via e-mail or over phone if above conditions are met. Tell them you traveling outside country and need to be able to use prepaid SIM while traveling. If they say no....well then spring for the $20.
    I have read after unlocking the caller ID no longer functions. Has anyone experienced this?
    I have a Rogers locked phone too. I called yesteday asking for them to unlock it for me, and they refused saying they 'dont have the codes', and have service in almost every country in the world, so there is no reason to unlock it. I think $5.00/minute is a very good reason myself. heh.

Quote Originally Posted by holmes4
    Quote Originally Posted by juice555
    I have a Rogers locked phone too. I called yesteday asking for them to unlock it for me, and they refused saying they 'dont have the codes', and have service in almost every country in the world, so there is no reason to unlock it. I think $5.00/minute is a very good reason myself. heh.
    I'll say....the usual line is that when traveling abroad on business you are required to use a prepaid SIM purchased by your company. If they still refuse, my answer would be that you will either unlock it yourself using an internet service or switch to a carrier which can provide this service.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Unlocking has no effect on caller ID.
  9.    #9  
    One of the people who is offering an unlock service for the 650 says that he will give me a rom v1.28
    But the Palm site says that v1.20 is the max for the 650. Is this the custom rom that I read about? Is it a good idea to update to that?

Can someone please tell me the technicalities that are involved in the unlock procedure? What about upgrading roms?

Thanks.
    It works like MS Windows or software authetication. You have a device number called an IMEI number. Just like you have a CPU serial number and other unique ID numbers on ya PC. You plug that IMEI into a puter program which runs an algorithm to create a second number. Each IMEI number has a corresponding "unlock" code. I imagine someone within the carrier's organization leaks this algorithm, or some hacker dude figures it out, and all of a sudden a web service is born.
  11.    #11  
    Jack,
    I understand what you are are saying on the computer and unlocking end. I had known that.

My main concern is if there will be any damage to my Treo. I am also wondering about eh v1.20 and v1.28 ROM versions.

After my phone is unlocked, will I still be able to access the Internet through my current service provider?
    I used an ebay unlocking service. Worked perfectly and I got it done in 15mins from the time I clicked Buy It Now. Cingular filed out an unlock form for me on Mar 8th.... still haven't heard from them.

No effect on the Treo whatsoever other than letting you use "other" SIMs. I upgraded from Cingular 1.15 to 1.17 after unlocking without any issues. All your carrier specific features remain intact (unless you flash the ROM).
  13.    #13  
    What are the pros and cons of the v1.20 and v1.28 ROM versions. Should I upgrade the rom or keet the current rom I have. I have Rogers v1.28

My main concern is being able to get internet access codes and log-ins for when I travel.
  14.    #14  
    Sorry that should day I have the rom version of 1.13 with rogers.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    It works like MS Windows or software authetication. You have a device number called an IMEI number. Just like you have a CPU serial number and other unique ID numbers on ya PC. You plug that IMEI into a puter program which runs an algorithm to create a second number. Each IMEI number has a corresponding "unlock" code. I imagine someone within the carrier's organization leaks this algorithm, or some hacker dude figures it out, and all of a sudden a web service is born.
    Actually, I believe that the unlock code is stored within the phone's radio itself. Cingular and other GSM providers likely get a giant database with IMEI->unlock code mappings...
    Quote Originally Posted by mmastrac
    Actually, I believe that the unlock code is stored within the phone's radio itself.
    It must be ... otherwise you could type in any bunch of digits as it would have nothing on the device to compare it with.

Cingular and other GSM providers likely get a giant database with IMEI->unlock code mappings...
    Too much room.....to my understanding when they make the things the IMEI numbers are generated like serial numbers. Ya take each serial number and they genrate an unlock code from an algorithm and both are stored on the device. rather than store a huge databse of millions of codes, the providers get to use the same algorithm to generate the code from the IMEI number. I am not saying that's how it's done with the Treo but it is a common method in the electronics and software industry. same thing happens with your registration codes for ya Palm Software.....in this case tho, your user name serves as the IMEI number. More zealous programmers use both a device number as well as the user name to generate the code.
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4
    how long does it take to get the password send via email?
    318 Posts
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I got it from t his guy instantly
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQ...ZttsQ2dtelecom
    Made this just for fun...I'm Kermit

Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    The way unlockcellular works is that you are directed to install a program on your PC that reads data from the Treo, submits it to a web site which then displays the unlock code.
    it took about a 1/2 hour to get the password. It worked great.