1.    #1  
    I am currently a T650 user and using Windows XP with no issues. I am considering migrating to a Mac Powerbook [Power PC CPU] running OS Tiger. I have seen the updated Palm desktop s/w for Tiger [4.2.1] which appears to fix most issues but I have a concern with running virtual PC on the Mac and trying to sync. I use a special 3rd party application [modified sat forms program] that will only run on a Windows OS so I plan to use Virtual PC on the Mac. Here is where I get fuzzy....I want the T650 to sync with Mac Mail, iCal, etc but need to run Virtual; PC to sync to my 3rd party app. Can I do this? If so, how?
    Can only hazard a guess on this one, but in each OS environment (Windows and Mac) the conduits may be set differently.

When synching in each environment, you will get backup and synch from each other. You could disable the conduits for address, datebook, etc. in Windows.

The backups will be redundent unless you disable the conduit for backup. Be sure to set the device overrides computer option on the platform that you will not be using as your primary, in this case, the windows machine.

Of course, you will have to synch on each platform. Just make sure that the device name is the same on each.

Enjoy the Mac experience.
    I haven't tried it with Virtual PC in a long time but VPC usually has problems recognizing devices on USB. I know it won't work with Windows Mobile devices. It used to work with Palm devices but I haven't tried it in a long time.

I think you could do a synch under VPC, then quit it then sync on the Mac. Make sure hotsync is not always running in the background or this might grab the hotsync request before VPC could.

I used to use the Palm software with the iSync conduit but now I use Missing Sync 5.03. The big advantage to me here is that Missing Sync will keep both addresses in a contact intact on the Treo and will synch categories correctly. The iSync conduit synchs only the home addresses and puts everything in unfiled. Missing Sync also has conduits for photos and songs.

I don't think there is any way currently to synch mail with the OS X mail app that I know of. I don't find this a big deal, I just get mail from the POP3 and IMAP servers I use directly in Versamail.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    You could use LAN sync for the Windows OS on Virtual PC and local USB sync for Mac. This way, you won't have issues with unrecognized USB on VPC & you won't have to worry about shutting down HotSync on either system since they'll use different interfaces. Virtual PC emulates another computer on the network, so it should have no problems with a network sync and will have its own IP.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for all the quick replies....silly question..Lan Sync? What do you mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by Molaram
    Thanks for all the quick replies....silly question..Lan Sync? What do you mean?
    LAN Sync is Network sync. You would set up the primary PC info in Treo HotSync app with the IP address assigned to VPC Windows. In Windows HotSync setup, under Network tab, be sure to select the checkbox next to your active profile. Then in Treo HotSync options, select LANSync prefs according to which interface to use. LANSync for VPC Windows syncing & Local HotSync for Mac syncing.

Haven't done it, but its theoretically possible. Generally, thats how to do it, but there might be others steps.
    That's interesting on the Lan sync but I'm not sure how you do it. I see on a PC the option to set hotsync to use network. But what and how do select on the Treo? There isn't a network there. This can't be over phone data network?
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    That's interesting on the Lan sync but I'm not sure how you do it. I see on a PC the option to set hotsync to use network. But what and how do select on the Treo? There isn't a network there. This can't be over phone data network?
    Thats the beauty, it'll use USB to relay onto your LAN.

In Treo HotSync app, goto options (menu btn). There is an option for LANSync Prefs. In here you can select Local HotSync or LANSync. Options also has Primary PC setup, which would be Windows VPC info (or another computer on LAN). LANSync should allow you to relay over USB through "Cradle/Cable" connection to another computer on LAN, or VPC for this case. The laptop would act as the relay between USB & LAN so laptop IP would be the gateway onto the network. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...ilies/wink.gif

There's a little diagram in LANSync Prefs to help see how it works.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks guys...I think I get it. I am a little gun shy as I have not heard of anyone who has sucessfully done this [don't want a wasted investment in the Powerbook] but I am sure I can get it to work eventually. Last question: Would you suggest I invest in Missing Sync for the Mac OS portion and then use Palm Synch for Windows [under VPC]? I thought that might keep things a bit more separate. Comments please.
    Thanks you all again! You guys really know your stuff.
    That sounds reasonable to me. Keep in mind on the Mac you still need to install Palm Desktop first, then Missing Sync since it uses the conduits and hotsync technologies also. It replaces most of the Palm conduits with their own and provides an app to manage things.

To separate things better, since you are using VPC only for third party apps, I would set conduits for services on the PC side that you aren't using (like contacts, calendar, etc..) to not do anything. That way you don't risk messing up information and the slow synching under VPC would run faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Molaram
    Thanks guys...I think I get it. I am a little gun shy as I have not heard of anyone who has sucessfully done this [don't want a wasted investment in the Powerbook] but I am sure I can get it to work eventually. Last question: Would you suggest I invest in Missing Sync for the Mac OS portion and then use Palm Synch for Windows [under VPC]? I thought that might keep things a bit more separate. Comments please.
    Thanks you all again! You guys really know your stuff.
    I have HotSynced via USB to both my Mac and to the Virtual PC living inside my Mac with no problems. Of course, using USB ports on VPC is always tricky and you have to check all the right boxes. Also, I should note that I'm using VPC 6, not 7. I have been reluctant to "upgrade" to VPC 7 since (unlike VPC 6) it's developed and supported by Microsoft and it would be all too typical of MS to sabotage its functionality over time in order to further frustrate Mac users.