1.    #1  
    At work I've been having to use some windows mobile devices for some testing with a product we're working on, and I've noticed they tend to do something which at first I thought a litlte annoying, but later figured with some configuration it could be quite handy.

They tend to turn the backlight completely off after 30s or so of inactivity, then turn the screen off a while later.

Is there anything for the Palm that will do this? I"m thinking something like dim it at 30s and turn off the backlight entirely after 60s, but configurable would be a must. The regular timer could be used to turn the Palm completely 'off', but with this scenario one could easily extend that time out. I'm sure the backlight takes a lot of battery.
    Used to use an app called Energy Dimmer that did just that.

http://www.79bmedia.com/dimmer
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

3.    #3  
    Hmm, it has potential, but it doesn't seem to work with KBLightsOff in auto mode, which is what I always leave it in. As soon as it dims the screen it turns the keyboard lights on until I press a key, which is counterproductive.

Nothing against Dimmer actually come to think of it, Palm Fiction does the same thing if I have it set brightness automatically, so it might be a KBLightsOff thing, but none the less the conflict doesn't seem to be workable.

Anyone have a suggestion on that, or an Energy Dimmer alternative? Probably isn't one, likely not that popular a thing.
  4.    #4  
    Aha, looking at reviews for Energy Dimmer I found reference to HandyAid which seems to work quite well..

It still turns on the keys when it turns the screen back ON, but Energy Dimmer was doing it when turning OFF, so this is better.

Plus HandyAid has a bazillion options when it comes to things, like turning off the screen when a program turns it on out of the blue, different dimmer/auto off settings for specific programs, etc..

Only thing it doesn't seem to do is dim the screen. It turns the backlight completely off, but not dim. None the less, it seems to work pretty well. So far no problems with it, but I'll report back if I find any.

Only reference I see here on TC about it is way back in Sep 2004, so maybe this is a rediscovery for the good. I imagine some people might like this sort of app.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Hmm, it has potential, but it doesn't seem to work with KBLightsOff in auto mode, which is what I always leave it in. As soon as it dims the screen it turns the keyboard lights on until I press a key, which is counterproductive.
    This should have been fixed in version 2.15 (released April 8th).
    Daniel Seifert
    Vote for your favorite skins at http://skinner.79bmedia.com
  6.    #6  
    Oh? :O I hadn't seen any KBLightsOff releases in a long time, I'll go download it right now.

Oh, damn, EnergyDimmer, not KBLightsOff. I already use and like HandyAide. Oh well.
    [QUOTE=khaytsus]Plus HandyAid has a bazillion options when it comes to things, like turning off the screen when a program turns it on out of the blue, different dimmer/auto off settings for specific programs, etc..
    QUOTE]

Hmmmm, maybe this Handyaid is the thingy we need to keep the screen on and device on for tomtom to not shut down. So, Khaytsus, can this be configured to KEEP SCREEN ON/ DEVICE ON ?
  8.    #8  
    Yes, it has three or four individual lists for applications.. Say list 1 you want the Treo screen to stay on for 60s, and to turn off after 120s. List 2 you want the screen to only stay on 10s, turn off after 60s. List 3 the screen stays on for (not sure of max offhand, at least 5m, but likely forever is an option) and to never turn off.

It's very flexible.

Problem is the author doesn't support the 650. It works perfect on mine, but cavet emptor I guess.