Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Frustrated that Palm has not made the 1.20 ENA upgrade available for Mac users? Here is a set of instructions to do-it-yourself. Note: this is unofficial, un-tested, un warranted, dangerous stuff. It worked for me, but use at your own risk.

Things you'll need

1. A SD card, and a way to read/write the SD card without using your treo. For most people this would mean some sort of USB-SD card reader. These are available for $10 or less, and are really useful, so get one.
    2. The USB hotsync cable
    3. The treo charger

Doing Backups
    1. Backup your palm using your normal hotsync method.
    2. Note: beware that some things (such as Notepad notes) are NOT backed up with a regular hotsync for mac users, so you may lose them! You have been warned. Missing sync users may have different issued.
    3. To be extra safe, backup your palm backup folder on your mac. This is located at ~/Documents/Palm/Users/

Upgrade: Step by Step
    1. Choose which ROM to upgrade with. There are a number of customized versions (thanks shadowmite, craniumfunk, and jamesgangut). The list of files is in this post http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=564 Personally, I chose the one called "Cust 1".
    2. Download the chosen one to your mac. Un-zip the file. You should see a folder named "PALM", and possibly a "ReadMe" file.
    3. Insert your SD card into your mac. On the SD card, rename your old PALM folder to "PALM-old". Make sure you have enough space on the card, then copy the new PALM folder from your mac to the top-level of your SD card. Eject the card from your mac, but don't put it in your treo yet.
    4. Do a Hard Reset of your treo : hold down the red power button and keep holding it, then use the stylus to click the reset button next to thebattery. Then when you get the Palm logo, release the power button. You should get a "erase all?" screen. Hit the Up arrow on the 5-way control to do this. Note: for some reason, On my treo, it took me two tries for the hard reset to work. Not sure why. Further info on hard resets is here: http://mytreo.net/treofaq/Treo650Resetting
    5. Do screen calibration, then hit the Home button to go to the normal palm launcher
    6. Plug your treo into the power adapter.
    7. Insert your SD card. This should auto-launch the software updater. If not, you may have copied the folder to the wrong location on the SD card, and you should probably stop and check your work.
    8. Click the center 5-way button to get it started.
    9. BE PATIENT: the treo will reset a few times as it upgrades. Do NOT pull the power cord or the SD card during this.
    10. Eventually, you will be back at the language selection screen. Follow the normal prompts to set up your treo screen. Eject the SD card now.
    11. From within the Phone app, turn on the phone, then do menu-I to get information about the ROM/Firmware. It should read Firmware: 01.71, Software: Treo650-1.20-ENA. (If not, something went wrong and you should try again.) Click More to see your Carrier DB: It should read 255, if not, there is a way to fix this (see below)
    12. Do another HARD Reset for safety.
    13. Hotsync as usual. Note that on my system, it re-installed lots of apps & files I'd deleted from the past. Make sure you delete old crud after hotsyncing so you don't run out of ram.
    14. If it all looks good, put the SD card back in your mac, delete the old PALM folder an rename your old PALM-old folder to PALM.

Fixing the Carrier DB
    Apparently, the PALM installer for windows does some tricks to get your carrier DB to update. Since there is no official Mac installer, we have to do it ourselves.
    1. Download the CarrierProfiles and NetworkProfiles files from this post http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=564, and hotsync them the usual way. Your treo will reboot. Turn the phone back on, and you should see Carrier DB 255 (phone app, Menu-I, then click More).

I hope this was helpful!
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Thanks, very useful
    I JUST decided to take the plunge and do this - thank you SO MUCH for consolidating all the required files and laying it out so clearly. I found this info in bits and pieces in other threads but this was super comprehensive.

THANKS!
    TM
    I'm unable to download Cust 1 from the link. It tells me the download is invalid. Could anyone please point to a different link?
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    You are welcome, i did this because I had the same problem (lots of info, but it wasn't all put in one place for us Mac users). But the real thanks goes to the folks that made the custom ROMs...

As for the download for Cust1, the link works for me. Make sure you actually click the link, rather than cut & paste it (because the TreoCentral forums show a shortened version of the link). Once you get the download page, scroll down and there is a "Free" button to start the actual download.
    This is just for the Unlocked, unbranded model, right? Doing this with a Cingular-branded 650 would be bad, yes?
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Typo Lad
    This is just for the Unlocked, unbranded model, right? Doing this with a Cingular-branded 650 would be bad, yes?
    There is a difference between unlocked and unbranded.
    I have a Orange UK phone. I have removed the Orange branding/front end, but I am still locked to orange, ie only an Orange SIM will work.
    I understand this ENA update is for "generic" phones with no banding, but they can be locked or unlocked.
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I, too, was getting frustrated with Palm's lack of support for the Mac update. Not only was I able to update the firmware, thanks to the plain English instructions, but I also have a custom ROM without Real and with the new Blazer.

I am extremely grateful for all the hard work that you guys put into this.

I think I love my Treo again. I was curious to see what the Moto Q or another Windows Mobile device would bring, but now that my phone is working how it's supposed to, I don't have a wandering eye anymore.
    Thanks for the reply Xochi. I followed the instructions but it still tells me the download is invalid. Strange as I have downloaded ROMs posted on rapidshare before without any problems....
    Hey Xochi,

Thanks for the easy-to-follow instructions! Got a couple of issues, hoping someone can help out??? For the record, I used Custom ROM #4, and I've had no issues syncing with my Mac.

1. Camcorder does NOT record audio! Any ideas?

2. When I press the Green Phone button, this little drop-down menu appears on top of the dial pad. It lists Dial Pad, Call Log, then some recent calls I made. I think there's an option to turn this off, but I can't find it anywhere! Driving me NUTS!

But it's been a few days, and although I haven't installed any apps whatsoever, and apart from the issues above, it's running well.

Thanks,

- hoju
    1- You need to load a copy of AMRDECLIB.prc. Checkout the page you downloaded the rom from.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

James! Many thanks! Installed it like a normal file, did a soft reset, and voila!

However, I didn't find the file on the download page. If anyone's looking for it, do a search. Some other members have it linked directly from their posts.

Best,

- hoju
    Sorry fixed it.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Xochi and Jamesgangut,

Thanks for these comprehensive instructions, much appreciated. I have tried to download the custom ROMs linked to in Xochi's post (specifically Cust 1) and cannot get the file to download. I get a message from rapidshare asking for a code. Is there any alternative way I can get this ROM?

Thanks in advance guys.
    I just did the upgrade and the 120 ENA shows up allright but the firmware just shows an empty space, no 1.71! What now
    sundmga

Turn the radio on. It doesn't show firmware version with it off.

OK, so the 1.71 shows up after the phone goes on but after I HotSync the unit asks for a reset and gets into a reset loop. Taking the battery out breaks the loop but then the unit freezes into the first time/date setup screen after language choice and display calibration. The only thing I can do is hard reset over but after hotsyncing the problems prrevail and the loop goes on. I can ocasionally get to the time date screen but when I hit done the thing starts resetting again. Any suggestions???
    Don't restore the files in the backup dir. Just copy out somewhere and only restore your PIM data. You can then restore apps one at a time. There is a prefrence or file that is corrupt.

Thanks, I assume you mean the stuff in the backup folder in the palm folder. I am no good at acronyms so which are the PIM application files I should leave in the folder to start with? Addresses, memos, versamail, contacts messaging web and calender maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by sundmga
    Thanks, I assume you mean the stuff in the backup folder in the palm folder. I am no good at acronyms so which are the PIM application files I should leave in the folder to start with? Addresses, memos, versamail, contacts messaging web and calender maybe?
    Yes backup under Palm folder.

PIM's are the Palm programs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast