1.    #1  
    Would be interested in your comments if one is a favorite and why.
    Txs
    I prefer the flexibility of AddressXT. As well as the interface --- frankly, when I abandoned Agendus Pro (v10.4-- too slooow on my 650, and limited linking/auto-logging) in favor of DateBk6/beta, I went thru withdrawal pains re the contacts interface. AddressXT restored it perfectly, while MemoLeaf gave me Speedy Gonzalez searching of that DB. So, I'm a Happy Camper again.
    I own TealPhone but stopped using it in favor of TakePHone. I also moved from Agendus to DateBk 6 and am loving that switch. I've tried various contact managers, including AddressXT and Phone Magic. The integration with DateBk and Phone Magic is really amazing, quite useful. But nothing can quite budge me from TakePHone, mostly because of (1) the excellent navigation with the 5-way, (2) smart search (although others have this), and (3) ability to simply start typing in a number, and if a smart search eventually doesn't work, it realizes it's a number. If it had better integration with DateBk, I'd be in heaven. In the mean time I'm keeping my eye on Phone Magic and the (supposedly) upcoming major upgrade to AddressXT -- all with eye to DateBk integration.
    Quote Originally Posted by swilcox
    I own TealPhone but stopped using it in favor of TakePHone. I also moved from Agendus to DateBk 6 and am loving that switch. I've tried various contact managers, including AddressXT and Phone Magic. The integration with DateBk and Phone Magic is really amazing, quite useful. But nothing can quite budge me from TakePHone, mostly because of (1) the excellent navigation with the 5-way, (2) smart search (although others have this), and (3) ability to simply start typing in a number, and if a smart search eventually doesn't work, it realizes it's a number. If it had better integration with DateBk, I'd be in heaven. In the mean time I'm keeping my eye on Phone Magic and the (supposedly) upcoming major upgrade to AddressXT -- all with eye to DateBk integration.
    Hi,

If I may stray a bit off topic - where can I get information about what this DateBk6/PhoneMagic integration and benefits ?
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKEphONE
    Hi,

If I may stray a bit off topic - where can I get information about what this DateBk6/PhoneMagic integration and benefits ?
    I am trialing PhoneMagic at the moment. The description below was in the download zip file:

This document describes the integration between PhoneMagic and
    DateBk5. In order to achieve this integration, new features have
    been added to both PhoneMagic and DateBk5. To take advantage of
    these features, you'll need PhoneMagic Version 1.30 or higher, and
    DateBk5 Version 5.1b or higher.

In order to download the latest version DateBk5, see the DateBk5
    Web Site: http://www.datebk5.com/datebk5.htm.

In order to download the latest version of PhoneMagic, see the
    PhoneMagic Web Site: http://www.phonemagic.com/secrets.htm.

DateBk5 Integration Features in PhoneMagic
    ------------------------------------------
    The following items are done in PhoneMagic and provide integration
    with DateBk5.

- When "Inserting an Event" into the Date Book from PhoneMagic, if
    DateBk5 is installed on the device, you will be able to select the
    category of the event to be inserted. If the category of the
    selected record exists in DateBk5, that category will be the
    selected category for the event that will be inserted. If the
    category doesn't exist in DateBk5, then "Unfiled" will be the
    default category. The dropdown can be tapped to select a different
    category.

- When "Inserting an Event" into the Date Book from PhoneMagic, if
    DateBk5 is installed on the device, a DateBk5 link will
    automatically be inserted into the event.

PhoneMagic Integration Features in DateBk5
    ------------------------------------------
    In order to take advantage of PhoneMagic integration in DateBk5,
    run DateBk5 and select "Preferences" from the "Options" menu, and
    tap the "Split" tab. Enter "PTpm" (without the quotes) in the
    "Addr CreatID" field at the bottom of the screen.

The following items are done in DateBk5 and provide integration
    with PhoneMagic.

- Tapping the {New} button, and selecting Address in DateBk5 will
    open a new record in PhoneMagic. When you create a new record
    this way, tapping the {Done} button after creating the new record
    will return you to DateBk5 exactly where you were when you
    selected New Address.

- Tapping the Link button will pop-up PhoneMagic. You can then
    use PhoneMagic's Smart Lookup or Stylus Free lookup to select the
    record to be linked to. Once you lookup the record, and open it,
    tap the {Insert} button, and you will be returned to DateBk5 in
    order to complete the creation of the link.

- If you have a link to the Address book in an event, and you tap
    on the Link icon of the event, it will open the record in
    PhoneMagic. If your Palm is configured for dialing, you can dial
    the number immediately. You can also tap the {Edit} button, to
    open PhoneMagic and edit the record.

- Tapping the {New} button and selecting Call/Action in DateBk5
    will pop-up PhoneMagic, and let you select a record using
    PhoneMagic's Smart Lookup or Stylus Free lookup. Tap the
    {Insert} button on the record in order to use the selected record
    for the Call/Action.

- When selecting "Find Items linking to this" from the Record
    menu in DateBk5, if nothing is selected in the split-screen
    window and the insert pointer is not in an appointment or Todo,
    then PhoneMagic will be popped up, and can be used to lookup and
    select the item to be searched for.

- If PhoneMagic is launched when DateBk5 is running, and you exit
    PhoneMagic by pressing the {OK} button, you will return to
    DateBk5 in the place that you were when you launched PhoneMagic.
    If you exit PhoneMagic by pressing the Date Book button to launch
    DateBk5, you will also return to DateBk5 where you left off.

- When a DateBk5 Alarm rings, if the event had a link to the
    Address Book, and PhoneMagic is installed, there will be a {Link}
    button displayed on the alarm screen. Tapping the {Link} button
    will open the record in PhoneMagic. You can then view the record,
    and if your Palm is configured for dialing, you can dial any of
    the record's phone numbers.

- Tapping the {New} button, and selecting "Launch App." can be
    used to pop-up PhoneMagic. In order to do that, you'll need to
    set the "App CreatID" to "PTpm" in the "View Display Options
    screen.

Actually, and Shimon can correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been using TAKEphONE for a while and I believe it already has a lot of the same features now. You can schedule an event or todo from within TAKEphONE and it will be applied to the calendar/DateBk5/6 whichever you use. The nice thing is that when the time for the event arrives you can call the contact directly from the DateBk event or from 2day (if you have it installed).

You can use TAKEphONE as a dialer helper meaning that you can highlight a number from within several different applications and dial it.

Also, it has 5-way nav, stylus free nav, smart search, etc. It doesn't have a popup yet (hint, hint ) but I get around that by using a DA called CallLookupDA. Its also got some pretty slick integration with Shimon's other programs 2day and 2dial.

I'm just judging all of this by the Phone Magic website. I haven't used it so I don't know everything that it does.

p.s. I get no compensation from ShSh software for endorsing this product . I just like the software and the developer is speedy fast at responding to issues/inquiries (even if he doesn't implement all of my ideas!).
    Last edited by hoovs; 03/16/2006 at 01:31 AM.
    All this is correct -- and yes, TAKEphONE is one *nifty* application.

The one thing that PhoneMagic has going for it though is this tight integration that I mentioned with DateBk, so that when I want to set a link to a contact in DateBk, it pops up the PhoneMagic application.

The navigation in TAKEphONE is just marvelous -- the way Shimon has used the 5-way is intuitive and efficient. The best use of the 5-way of *any* application, in my opinion.

As I say, I own TAKEphONE (or is it takePHone?). But I've been testing PhoneMagic.

The one thing that PhoneMagic has going for it though is this tight integration that I mentioned with DateBk, so that when I want to set a link to a contact in DateBk, it pops up the PhoneMagic application.

The navigation in TAKEphONE is just marvelous -- the way Shimon has used the 5-way is intuitive and efficient. The best use of the 5-way of *any* application, in my opinion.

As I say, I own TAKEphONE (or is it takePHone?). But I've been testing PhoneMagic.
    Ah, I see. Well, you never know. Shimon might pull something out of his hat.

It is TAKEphONE but, now that you mention it, I've always wondered why. I mean, do you say "take phone" or "take one"? Hmm.
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts

I have to agree that TakePhone is a great application and the use of the 5-way is the best of any app I have seen. If we could combine PhoneMagic and TakePhone into one app we would have perfection. Until then I am trialing both and may well purchase both.
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    A comprehensive review of both of both TP and PM

http://www.shsh.com/main_hhcmag.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    Ah, I see. Well, you never know. Shimon might pull something out of his hat.

It is TAKEphONE but, now that you mention it, I've always wondered why. I mean, do you say "take phone" or "take one"? Hmm.
    Hi all,

First - thanks for your kind words.

Now for some explaining:

TAKEphONE originally started from "take a note" - it was a simple app meant to allow me to write down a phone number quickly (by pressing on-screen 0-9,*,# big buttons, then saving to the address book.
    Hence the name Take-Phone ==> TAKEphONE.

Back these days I was working for a company called Way2call, which developed (actually I still work with them) telephony boxes for connecting a desktop PC to telephone lines & devices). So - beeing a geek of a sort - I set out to connect my Visor device via cable to such a box, to allow making phone calls from TAKEphONE connected to a telephone set.

So now I could type in a number and make calls with this thing. The obvious next step was to allow me to lookup contacts from my Palm address-book, so I can make calls to them, and since the Visor was sitting on it's (modified) cradle - I preffered doing this without the stylus - and thus the FIND screen came to life.

Along the way I have added more options for dialing - IR to a cellular phone, IR to a nifty device called BeamDial, Bluetooth...

And finally - someone (the famous Jake) published a way to start calls programatically on a cool new device called Samsung i300...
    Then came the Kyocera, Treos .... and here we are today.
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Hi,

Still noone told me what is this DateBk6 - PhoneMagic integration ?
    How do I demonstrate it ?
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    Hi,

Still noone told me what is this DateBk6 - PhoneMagic integration ?
    How do I demonstrate it ?
    The same functionality exists with Datebk6 as with Datebk5 listed in the post above. Basically, whenever you add a new event in Datebk6 that would do a contact lookup, PhoneMagic opens up rather than the regular contact application. You can then use PhoneMagic to search for records and insert information directly into Datebk6. When completed, you return to the initial point in Datebk6. Also, viewing or setting any links to contact records causes the record to open in PhoneMagic.

The other slick feature is that PhoneMagic will pop up over a running application to look up contact info. When Phone Magic closes you are back to the original app you were working in.

As I said above, TakePhone is also a great app with other features that I find absolutely invaluable. Combining the functionality of both apps would be fantastic!!!!!
    Thanks for the history Shimon. How maybe you can tell us the story behind the avatar.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    Thanks for the history Shimon. How maybe you can tell us the story behind the avatar.
    Oh - that actually does resemble myself...
    And the band on the mouth - well it's "shsh", isnt it ?
    Shimon Shnitzer
    From what I understand - its all about implementing a "lookup" feature in TAKEphONE.
    Have this on my todo list. Will try to add this soon.
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Oh - that actually does resemble myself...
    And the band on the mouth - well it's "shsh", isnt it ?
    Clever! I always thought that was a moustache.
    so address XT is out of history?? anyone is still using it?
    Quote Originally Posted by treopq
    so address XT is out of history?? anyone is still using it?
    I use it and like it.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."