Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    hi i am pretty new to this site and the treo in general. actually, i dont even own one yet but i will very soon. i am having a hard time deciding on which one to purchase. the carrier will most likely be verizon wireless. i have read the pros and cons of both phones etc. seems like people have alot of experience with the 650 and have found ways around alot of the problems that came along (probably because its been out for some time now). but the new 700 is pretty new and has its own flaws and people are finding ways to solve them. i have been reading threads from this site for a while now to see what the phones are like and what they can do. seems like a perfect hybrid phone to have. i just dont know if i should go for the 650 or the 700. i need something that ill be able to solve easily if i ran into problems. which one do you guys prefer? new ones are cool but which phone offers more? i kno the 700 do alot of the things the 650 cant do and has a whole new windows format. will i be missing out on alot if i just go for the 650? remember that i have no experience with the treo at all cept for the fact that i have been reading threads about them. if you have a 650 and have some experience with the 700, which one would you choose? thank you all
    Im no expert but my "sense" from others postings is that many prefer the 650 still.
  3.    #3  
    yea thats the feeling that i get too from reading around. but maybe cause the 700 is still new and people havent spend all the time on it like they did with the 650? maybe all of these questions are too early to ask. hopefully people that have both can tell me what they think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve340
    Im no expert but my "sense" from others postings is that many prefer the 650 still.
    I think they prefer it, because the Palm OS is what they're used to. If you have no experience with either, you might prefer the 700. Or you might prefer the 650. Hard to tell what PDA experience the OP has, if any.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    cnet.com prefers the 650. I respect their opinions, which is why I bought the 650 a year ago!
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    cnet.com prefers the 650. I respect their opinions, which is why I bought the 650 a year ago!
    Please don't base anything on CNET. Take what they say with a HUGE grain of salt. Sometimes they are good, sometimes they are full of sh*t. They usually only have a device for a short period of time so they really don't do a good job of thoroughly reviewing devices. Sometimes their info is just plain wrong. I would trust TC over CNET any day of the week!
    I would pick the 650 if you want to get your phone and have any possible questions answered asap.

The 700 is new all the way around. If you are tech savy and enjoy playing around with your phone and problem solving with limited support then the 700 MAY be a good option. The people on TC have been playing with the 650 for so long and so many of the bugs have been ironed out that I would put my money on the 650 for now. People have figured out just about everything regarding the 650. If you have a question, if you need your phone to do something that you can't figure out how to do, etc...it's all on this site.

Just my 2 pennies.
    IMHO, 650 navigation seems a lot easier with the 5-way than the 700.
  9.    #9  
    i think the only thing holding me back is what the 700 provides that the 650 doesnt. when did the 650 come out anyways?
    I got myself a 700w... The 650 not supporting EVDO was the final deciding factor for me. I don't really like waiting for things to load; had wayyyyy more loading time than I'd ever want when I used a BlackBerry. - Not to mention if I got the 650; I'd still be paying the same per month even though I'd be getting less speed.

The whole palm vs windows thing... I honestly don't care what system gets used; as long as it does what I want. At the time, my BB did the job fine... now I wan't more and well; palm os doesnt seem to deliver the goods.

So if I were you, I'd just look at what the devices do... trow out the specs, the release dates, whatever... just check what they do, and deside which one does the better job. The one that does the better job; gets hired.

And to answer your other question: I believe the 650 was released about a year ago.
  11.    #11  
    this is a super noob question but im new to this stuff anyways since i dont even own one yet but will be very soon. is there a thread on here that has the definitions of all these terms that you guys use. i have been trying to catch on but would be alot easier if they had a list or something. gsm? cdma? evdo? and etc. would make things alot easier to understand
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooose
    Please don't base anything on CNET. Take what they say with a HUGE grain of salt. Sometimes they are good, sometimes they are full of sh*t. They usually only have a device for a short period of time so they really don't do a good job of thoroughly reviewing devices. Sometimes their info is just plain wrong. I would trust TC over CNET any day of the week!
    Which is why I always read the CNET customer reviews to get a balanced view. Because those people are like a lot of others, buyers who use the device everyday. Most of the time, I end up buying what I wanted too anyway.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Mag reviews can be a tough call as most reviewers are freelance and many of those used to have a different job that they apparently weren't good at. When you get a preponderance of reviews however all saying the same thing, it's usually a sign of a god product. PC MAg, Business Week, Cnet and about 25-30 other mags I have read say the 700w is the best WM5 devcie ever.....unfortunately they close by saying it's almost as good as the 650....or that it's a step backward in many areas from the 650.

There's a problem with user rantings....no I didn't mispell "ratings" in thet you wills ee many trolls from th eothe rcamp trying to drive down the rating of a device...sinc eposters are anonymous, it's not unusual to see 5 or more rants in a row describing one unique problem and giving a rating of 1 or 2.... now I don't care whether you like a 650, 700, BB or whatever, but no way are any of those devices a 1 or a 2.

Just like carriers, you have yto decide what one best serves your indovidual needs. If you are going to use data servcies, data is very expensive on verizon. If you travel or need long battery life, CDMA is probably not for you.

Same with the 650/700 choice....if you need something it offers (EVDO, exchange server compatability, etc), this may outweigh the advantages of the 650. Personally I skipped the 600 cause I didn't want to be walking around tethered to a corded earpiece. Neither 700 offers enough feature advancements, to my mind, to get a 700. If i was coming in new, as in your shoes, I'd be looking for one of those $99 650 GSM specials and then I'd update to the 800 or whatever come fall by buying one in his name, giving my 650 to my son and then swapping SIM cards with him.

But that's a solution that works well in my situation, your mileage will vary.
    Despite the cost of a Treo, you probably realise that it represents
    little value once it is purchased (this is the nature of any electronic
    gadget). Besides, the life of a Treo cannot exceed an average of
    two years.

You should still consider, as you have stated, the following:
    Cost, PalmOS <-> Windows Mobile, EVDO, WiFi.

Customization possibilities & options (camera, music player, other
    software and enahancements) will in most likelyhood be similar.

EVDO you can probably do without, but not having WiFi is
    something that you would probably regret sometime down the
    line.

That being the case, you could just go with your "gut" feeling
    or intuition.

I have experience with the 650 over a short period of time and
    I can say that palm simply cut corners in materials and manufacturing.
    This is evident in the string of complaints that you see in these
    forums and elsewhere: the idiotic speaker, the microphone jack,
    the SIM card problem (Cingular), signal strength problems, power
    connector problems... Despite the 650 being in production for the
    last couple of years, they are nowhere near addressing these.
    I hope that the 700 is built better.

If I did have a choice, I would still go with my 650 (GSM). To me,
    it is the last of the classics. And PalmOS has a certain cuteness
    about it that the WM simply cannot match, inspite of its buggyness.

You got anything against upper case letters?

Regards,

- mvk
    I have both Treo 650 GSM and the 700w although I will probably be getting rid of the 700w. The only reason and a big one for the 700w is EVDO. The data speed is just addictive and I find the web browsers for WM5 are just better than Blazer in terms of formatting and reading (although their favorites are not as good as Blazer).

Contacts are nice in the 700w but otherwise nothing works as well. The biggest issue for me is that the bluetooth on the 700w definitely has problems. Devices that work fine with the 650 suffer flakly connections with the 700w. And of course I can use my 650 was a wireless bluetooth modem for my laptop but can't with the 700w.

My recommendation is that unless you really want the EVDO (which I can understand because it is wonderful) you are better off getting the 650.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by dikki
    this is a super noob question but im new to this stuff anyways since i dont even own one yet but will be very soon. is there a thread on here that has the definitions of all these terms that you guys use. i have been trying to catch on but would be alot easier if they had a list or something. gsm? cdma? evdo? and etc. would make things alot easier to understand
    googled it and came up with this
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1770835,00.asp
    several regular phones -> sidekick 2 -> treo 650 -> hopefully 700p
    the calendar function ont he 700 is priceless if you use it a lot. you can use it to create calendar items and send to recipients. it can also accept, tentative or decline invitations you receive from imap email. chatter would always show email invites as gibberish with no ability to even tell when the appointment was. if the 650 and/or chatter had better way to handle email calendar items, id return the 700 today. to heck with EVDO
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex
    Besides, the life of a Treo cannot exceed an average of
    two years.
    What? I had my Vx and an early Samsung clamshell for for more than 5 years - why would my 650 be any different?
    Quote Originally Posted by jaharr
    What? I had my Vx and an early Samsung clamshell for for more than 5 years - why would my 650 be any different?
    Maybe I should have added: "...before a new model comes along, and we start
    having these discussions again."

Now, on the aside:
    I read somewhere (around 4 years ago, so I don't remember the source now)
    that in the US and Europe users tend to keep their cellphones way longer
    (few years) than in countries like Japan (few months).

Personally, my spanking new Nokia 6650 I used for less than five months (it
    still has that protective sticker on the display) before I got my Treo 650.

- mvk
    Quote Originally Posted by dikki
    Check out Wikipedia for succinct and simple definitions. In a nutshell, CDMA is the technology Verizon and Sprint use. GSM is the technology Cingular/ATT and TMobile use. CDMA is an American standard, GSM is used in America, Europe, and Asia, so if you're planning to travel overseas, that's your best bet. (And the battery life is better.)

EVDO is a high speed data transfer technology used on CDMA. You may see it referred to as 3G, third generation. GSM has a 2.5G technology called EDGE, and a 3G technology not yet supported by Treo. FWIW, I get about 130 Kbps transfer speed on a Palm Tungsten C WiFi and just over 100 Kbps on a Treo 650 on Cingular's network. There ain't no such thing as fast enough, but it's pretty peppy.

Personally, there was no choice. I'm a long-time Palm user, and find the user experience, support, flexibility, availability of third-party software, and that ineffable gestalt known as the Zen of Palm to be far superior.

Whatever you get, give yourself a chance to learn it. I'm told the learning curve is steep, but most people are pretty comfortable in a week. The Treo is a remarkable piece of technology, but as Dr. Norman said, "The only intuitive interface is the nipple. Everything else is learned."

Good hunting!

-- Bill
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast