Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I can appreciate the nationalism, GreenHex, but you gotta bring back the pig.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    I can appreciate the nationalism, GreenHex, but you gotta bring back the pig.
    Sure... but just curious if that is politically incorrect or something (on these forums)?

Or maybe you guys feel that it is a "true" reflection of my personality?

Eh?
    No, the pig is funny Just like the munk. You can keep your flag if you want. Sorry for the OT.

Let's bring this back to topic. 650 if you are Palm OS supporter, 700 if you want MS compatibilities.
    Pig! Pig!! Pig!!!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Pig! Pig!! Pig!!!
    no way...,greenhex, keep the flag...
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    There's a problem with user rantings....no I didn't mispell "ratings" in thet you wills ee many trolls from th eothe rcamp trying to drive down the rating of a device...sinc eposters are anonymous, it's not unusual to see 5 or more rants in a row describing one unique problem and giving a rating of 1 or 2.... now I don't care whether you like a 650, 700, BB or whatever, but no way are any of those devices a 1 or a 2.

Those people are too obvious though. If you look thoroughly, you can see who's legit and who's not. I have a device that had some customer complaints on CNET. HP released new ROM and firmware for it. Looks like the customers were right.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  7.    #27  
    thanks to everyone for the replies. and another thanks to the people who directed me to the terms website and such. if theres anyone out there that has tried more than one carrier with the 650, which one did u prefer? i have verizon right now and it seems to be okay. but the thing is that i reallllllly would hate to pay 45 a month on top of the regular monthy payment to go online. going online is something that i would really like to have.

its no doubt ill be messing around with this phone for a while. i have been reading so much about everything and seems like its going to take a while to find my way through all those problems and getting used to the phone and what it can do. 650 is the way im headed for now. but is what that guy said true? about the treo not lasting even a year or 2?
    Quote Originally Posted by dikki
    thanks to everyone for the replies. and another thanks to the people who directed me to the terms website and such. if theres anyone out there that has tried more than one carrier with the 650, which one did u prefer? i have verizon right now and it seems to be okay. but the thing is that i reallllllly would hate to pay 45 a month on top of the regular monthy payment to go online. going online is something that i would really like to have.

its no doubt ill be messing around with this phone for a while. i have been reading so much about everything and seems like its going to take a while to find my way through all those problems and getting used to the phone and what it can do. 650 is the way im headed for now. but is what that guy said true? about the treo not lasting even a year or 2?

My first stop was Verizon, in part because I have some experience with the company and they are the biggest carrier in these parts. After looking at the voice and data plans, however, I wanted to go with Sprint, since their data is a good deal less expensive. Unfortunately, I had to return my Verizon phone and cancel shipment on my Sprint phone, because neither worked in my office. Cingular, using a different technology, works in my office, so despite my reservations about Cingular's reputation for lousy service, I went with Cingular. The first thing they did was give me a telephone number that was already owned by someone else. However, the prompt, personable, and sympathetic service I received from their first line and technical support people was so excellent that I hardly minded. (Misteaks happen, after all.)

Sprint has a 14-day trial period; Verizon is 15 days, and Cingular is 30 days. All will refund the activation fee (~$35) if the phone is returned within 3 days.

All cell phones are intended to last for two years, the length of the contract. What manufacturers and carriers are hoping is that you'll re-enlist with a new phone. This is especially true of high-tech phones like the Treo. Technological improvement moves quickly. There are folks here who are happy with their two-year-old Treo 600, and others who are ready to sell their month-old phone on eBay the moment the next model ships. How long the hardware actually lasts depends on how hard you are on phones.

So take one out for a test drive!

-- Bill
  9.    #29  
    dont some treos have problems with calls that get disconnected even with some bars etc.? or is that a network problem with the carrier? which service has clear calls that dont get disconnected with the treo?
    Don't confuse 700W (sucks) and 700P. I don't care about Windows or Palm, the bare truth is:

"W" does not have great emailers like ChatterMail and SnapperMail, which are a must to my Treo beside Xiino.

And VZW's network pricing sucksn compared to Sprint.

So, either wait for 700P, or get a 650+A900 (EVDO) comb now, what I'm thinking of, see my other post "Tired of upgrading". As 650 is going for $200 or so right now, this comb is a great deal for $500 total and you get the best PDA and the best phone, and all Sprint EVDO can offer.
    I have never touched or seen the 700w in person, but I totally perished the thought of even taking a look at one when I read that its screen is a mere 240x240. That's not much better than the Treo 600's 180x180 pixelated screen. The major reason I upgraded from a 600 to a 650 was because looking at the 600's screen resolution gave me a headache.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Quote Originally Posted by dikki
    if theres anyone out there that has tried more than one carrier with the 650, which one did u prefer?
    Look at Sascha's comparison.

Verizon (4.0 stars) http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1815641,00.asp
    Cingular (4.5 stars) http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1758725,00.asp
    Sprint (4.5*) http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1770499,00.asp

I find this sums it up quite well.

"Think of Cingular's version of the PalmOne Treo 650 as the Treo 655. For the GSM model of its PDA/phone, PalmOne added a world phone with better battery life than its CDMA sibling and a fast EDGE modem, making this version preferable to Sprint's if you're in a location with good Cingular GSM coverage. Only Cingular's expensive data plan makes us hesitate to recommend this model over the Sprint version.

As a phone, the Verizon Treo's sound quality is impeccable, with a clear speakerphone 12 dB louder than that of the Sprint version."

The verizon model has the best phone radio....the sprint the cheapest data plan....that's why Sprint models are always gonna need VolumeCare.

What the coverge is in your local area should be the primary consideration other than the above. If you need to go long periods between charges, need to swap SIMS, or travel internationally, then GSM is the better choice. If those don't apply then it comes down to verizon's radio versus Sprint's cheaper data plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex
    Sure... but just curious if that is politically incorrect or something (on these forums)?

Or maybe you guys feel that it is a "true" reflection of my personality?

Eh?
    The pig just made me smile, that's all.
    I don't know! I'm so confused! I like the 650's one-handed operation though...
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE

I find this sums it up quite well.

"Think of Cingular's version of the PalmOne Treo 650 as the Treo 655. For the GSM model of its PDA/phone, PalmOne added a world phone with better battery life than its CDMA sibling and a fast EDGE modem, making this version preferable to Sprint's if you're in a location with good Cingular GSM coverage. Only Cingular's expensive data plan makes us hesitate to recommend this model over the Sprint version.

As a phone, the Verizon Treo's sound quality is impeccable, with a clear speakerphone 12 dB louder than that of the Sprint version."

The verizon model has the best phone radio....the sprint the cheapest data plan....that's why Sprint models are always gonna need VolumeCare.

What the coverge is in your local area should be the primary consideration other than the above. If you need to go long periods between charges, need to swap SIMS, or travel internationally, then GSM is the better choice. If those don't apply then it comes down to verizon's radio versus Sprint's cheaper data plan.
    Very well said. To me and many of us here: I don't need the data that much (I have DSL at home) but I cannot live without it (cannot imagine in a Fry's return line without a Treo on hand). Sprint's data plan makes the choice very easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex
    I read somewhere (around 4 years ago, so I don't remember the source now) that in the US and Europe users tend to keep their cellphones way longer (few years) than in coun tries like Japan (few months).
    I am a two year .... every other model release ..... kinda guy.....the incremental improvement is generally more than I am willing to lay out that kinda money for. Even tho dropping that wire up to my ear and 320 x 320 was huge
    for me, I don't think I woulda bought a 650 if I had a 600.....of course I held my geek envy in check and refused to buy a 600 all that time cause it didn't have BT.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I say the 650. Sure I would like the internet to be faster, but I'm a loyal sprint user and they are running behind Verizon in terms of broadband deployment geography. Verizon is a total ripoff on what they charge for unlimited data versus Sprint.

I find I very rarely use the Treo for true websurfing. I'm almost always near a broadband connected dual 21" 1600x1200 monitor Athlon X2 4400 PC.

On the rare occasion I'm not near a real PC and am not driving and am not with somebody else who would be pissed I'm surfing the web rather than talking to them, then I usually have all my favorite websites that generally update content once per day anyway using Avantgo. It is sooo much faster than EVDO or CDMA because everything is cached on the SD card. I found the 700w may be fast, but the latency between sending a request and receiving isn't any faster than pre-evdo.

In a perfect world, I wouldn't mind broadband on the 650 or future product, but only when it covers a decent geography and doesn't cost substantially more than the $15 or so/month I pay for unlimited data now.
    Mark F Chinsky
    Neither 650 nor 700. The Motorola Q:

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=856

A preview video there. Coming soon from VZW.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12