1.    #1  
    Switched to T700 but was not impressed by speed, reliability of alarms/reminders, memory leak problems, constant resets, etc. So I switched back to T650. What I missed was the smooth Exchange server integration with PUSH for mail as well as calendar, contacts, notes, and tasks. Didn't want to keep a redirector with my desktop running so I looked around for an alternative solution which would give my 650 similar push capabilities to the 700 with Exchange.

What I found was a hosted Exchange service, mcommunitas.com. It is rather unique because they don't require a desktop redirector running for the 650. I signed up, they set up my hosted exchange account. All I had to do was download a small sync program that runs in the background on the 650 and pushes all new or changed exchange items to the 650 (similar to ActiveSync on the 700). I chose all items to sync except for mail. Their servers also support IMAP with the IDLE command so I just used Chatter for my mail. Its similar to the Verizon Wireless Sync concept, except you don't need to run anything on your PC or leave it on. They also allow Outlook to connect to their servers as a client. So now, whenever I enter new items or make changes in Outlook, those entries appear on the 650 within a few seconds along with my email. If you need everything pushed in real time like the Blackberry, it works pretty well.

Only downside is the price $17/month and the fact that you have to use their Exchange server.

Might be worth checking out for some of us who need this kind of real time info delivered to our 650.

The Chatter developer is also working on an add-on to Chatter that will receive pushed events from most Exchange servers but the push mode will require a CDMA 650 and there is no word on when he will release this update. This solution from www.mcommunitas.com is available now, works with GSM, and does not take up much memory. As long as you can deal with the price.
    Last edited by wannatreo; 03/12/2006 at 12:36 PM.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Good find! Very good indeed...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    I have hosted Exchange- 200MB and a server-side spam filter. It's a great value at $10 a month. The IMAP implementation works great with Chatter, and I Calendar synch with Versamail. The one downside is that I have to synch Contacts with the PC, but this is a minor annoyance.

The best solution, of course, will be Marc's new Chatter OWA. I check his blog daily for updates.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by neill
    I have hosted Exchange- 200MB and a server-side spam filter. It's a great value at $10 a month. The IMAP implementation works great with Chatter, and I Calendar synch with Versamail. The one downside is that I have to synch Contacts with the PC, but this is a minor annoyance.

The best solution, of course, will be Marc's new Chatter OWA. I check his blog daily for updates.
    I agree. However, I have spoken with Marc directly and it sounds like email will be the first event supported. Technically, Chatter supports this now through IMAP on Exchange servers. Support for the rest of the PIM events is several months away and PUSH will only be supported for CDMA treos not GSM. The mcommunitas.com solution is clean, supports true push with GSM, and supports all of the PIM events right now. I have been using it for a short time but it seems very reliable and reminds me of what I experienced with my Blackberry. I think it is a great solution until the Chatter plug in is available. Although as soon as the plug in is available with full PIM support, I will probably purchase it immediately.