1.    #1  
    OK, for the umpteenth time, I have tested yet another headset. First I will start with the 510.

While it is not perfect, it is certainly the best one I have used. I picked it up from Comp USA since they had the new version with "Windstop Technology." It has reasonable range, usually about 15-20 feet before static becomes too much. At normal ranges, there is some popping (mild in volume) that is not unbearable. According to my wife (my less than pleased volunteer) it sounds better than the others I have used. There is a delay of about three rings before pick up (rings counted from callers end). While annoying, it is not terrible as m voicemail won't pick up untill after a couple more rings. It is certainly quite comfortable and battery life is reasonable. On some occations, though, when a calls comes in it has not been picked up by the headset, even though it is paired, on and within 5 feet. Anyone else have this issue? Doen not happen very often.

I just got the HBH-300 a couple of days ago and static is certainly more of an issue at ranges greater than 5-7 feet. This really surprised me as other SE headsets have been good in this regard. I expeted it to be even better given it huge size! They have plenty of room for a good antenna! As far as fit, there is no way I could use it without an eargel. It does not sit over my ear canal properly and therefore, volume is inadequate. The thought of having to deal with an eargel AND the ear hook (battery is in it) it a bit much. So, my new 300 will go to eBay.

I think it is safe to say the 510 will be the choice for me. At least until I go on another bluetooth spree! I have to wondeer if there are any issues with my phone. I am running a Cingular 650 with unbranded 1.2 Palm firmware. Hope this helps some of you.
    G4 1.5Ghz 12" Powerbook. Cingular branded 650 with Palm unbranded firmware.
    Quote Originally Posted by estim8r
    OK, for the umpteenth time, I have tested yet another headset. First I will start with the 510.

While it is not perfect, it is certainly the best one I have used. I picked it up from Comp USA since they had the new version with "Windstop Technology." It has reasonable range, usually about 15-20 feet before static becomes too much. At normal ranges, there is some popping (mild in volume) that is not unbearable. According to my wife (my less than pleased volunteer) it sounds better than the others I have used. There is a delay of about three rings before pick up (rings counted from callers end). While annoying, it is not terrible as m voicemail won't pick up untill after a couple more rings. It is certainly quite comfortable and battery life is reasonable. On some occations, though, when a calls comes in it has not been picked up by the headset, even though it is paired, on and within 5 feet. Anyone else have this issue? Doen not happen very often.

I just got the HBH-300 a couple of days ago and static is certainly more of an issue at ranges greater than 5-7 feet. This really surprised me as other SE headsets have been good in this regard. I expeted it to be even better given it huge size! They have plenty of room for a good antenna! As far as fit, there is no way I could use it without an eargel. It does not sit over my ear canal properly and therefore, volume is inadequate. The thought of having to deal with an eargel AND the ear hook (battery is in it) it a bit much. So, my new 300 will go to eBay.

I think it is safe to say the 510 will be the choice for me. At least until I go on another bluetooth spree! I have to wondeer if there are any issues with my phone. I am running a Cingular 650 with unbranded 1.2 Palm firmware. Hope this helps some of you.
    I thought the new model Plantronics 510 had "windsmart" technology? I checked with my local CompUSA and they said they have the old one. Is that windsmart or windstop technology noted on the box? What is the color of the new one? Some posts say Silver and blue? Plantronics told me the new one is black? Does the Plantronics BT have an eargel or just fit snugly? thanks for any info.
  3.    #3  
    I dont have the box around me, but the newer headset is silver and black, the old one was blue. The mic in encased in a hard foam-like material like the logitech. There is no eargel, it does come with 3 different ear plugs the should work out fine for just about anyone. I fits me great and it is by far the best one I have ever had. Volume is more the adequate.
    here are 3 reasons why IMO hbh-300 edges the plantronics 510.

Better standby time.

On-Off button easier to use.

No delay to pick up calls. Almost instantly inbound and outbound.

For the wind, i use the mike foam I have from the 510 on my hbh-300.
    As a test of responsiveness of the hbh-300, I soft reset my treo, then went into my bathroom with the 300 on my ear, closed the door and called my treo. The headset in my ear rang immediately, proving that the hbh-300 will not lose pairing after a soft reset. The treo was in my bedroom and distance bet the two war about 8 feet.
  6.    #6  
    I had too much static and he speaker does not fit over ear canal. I know I can use an ear gel, but I am tired of modifying headsets, especially one that has an ear hook that cannot be removed. The 510 is by far the best for me. My HBH-300 is on eBay.
    I checked with a local Comp USA as well and they didn't carry the 510. They do have it on their website but it shows the old one
    Anyone have good suggestions for a not so bulky and ugly windsreen to use on the HBH-300 and where I can get that? I am using a black mic windscreen from Radio Shack and it just looks so bulky and goofy. You'd think they would build it into these things.
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    I have the complete opposite opinion. The HBH-300 for me has better range, and yes, instant pickup. I agree, unusable without the eargel, but with it, the comfort is there. The new plantronics 510 with windstop is no better than the HBH-300 with a windsock. But the HBH-300 for noise cancellation is easily 2x better. I've done numerous A/B tests, in cars, standing on streets, having the baby cry in the background, etc. Time after time, the HBH-300 makes it sound like i'm in a quiet room, where the 510, although is good, can still pickup background noises, and in fact, seems like it has some DSP where it will actually cut out the noise creating a choppy experience for the person listening as it tries to accomplish noise cancellation. As for comfort the 510 earpiece I can't get to feel that comfortable as it's pretty stiff, even though it comes with 3 sizes. I use the smallest one, but isn't that comfortable for a 45-60 minute conversation.

Now what the 510 does have is size, and portability. I just might keep it for the portability on occasion like weekends where it's not work related and I don't need the advanced noise cancellation.