Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    i have seen some people having the same problem and wonder if anybody had come up with a solution...

after installing the wrong update 1.20ENA instead of LAP, i fixed it with Romtool and got LAP working.
    problem still persists and sms does not segment after 160 characters.

also noviiremote deluxe (one of the best programs ever!) starts up but does not send any Ir signals.

these things were working so well with my previous ROM- forget if its 1.08... but goes to show if it aint broken, dont apply a palm update!
    i did it out of desperation when my TCPMP player kept hanging after 1-2hours of viewing a movie and decided it was a ROM problem... but after the update it is still reseting!

i was so proud of the 650 till now... prior to this i would play with the phone every 5min! now i'm so depress. even 650 has a 'sad droopy' antenna... figuratively.
    Treo 650
    Sony UX-50
    Tungsten T5 (other half's)
    Use Filez or some other app to check if you have SmartTextEngine_Device.prc installed. I am not sure if this file is your problem or not but it does fix the emoticons problem and may fix the >160 character segmenting. If you don't have it you should be able to find it with a search of these forums. Once you have it you can just install it straight to RAM.
    I'm not sure I follow you. Are you saying you USED to be able to send SMS's larger than 160 characters?
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    I'm not sure I follow you. Are you saying you USED to be able to send SMS's larger than 160 characters?
    I have written messages up to 5 segments of 160 characters each. Not sure if it will go higher than that. The Treo certainly hasn't helped my SMS costs. With earlier phones I used to squeeze everything into a single message but with the Treo keyboard I tend to send short novels. Fortunately SMS here is dirt cheap, about 1.2 cents US each.
  5.    #5  
    yup, i used to be able to pour my heart and soul into sms which i'm fond of just like jgm, now i;m stunted at 1 message each time. i have no problem with emotion icons, and jgm, i do have the smarttextengine.prc in my ROM.

i have not noticed any more inconsistencies besides that. thanks for quick replies... if yuo have any more thougths give me a shout...
    Treo 650
    Sony UX-50
    I had the same problem and solved it simply by inserting a SIM card from another provider and then switched back to the previous card. Since then I don't have that 160 chars limitation anymore.
  7.    #7  
    aero310... i never thought it would be such a simple solution but THANK YOU cause IT WORKS now! you've made my day!
    Treo 650
    Sony UX-50
    Is there anyway to enable this with my Sprint Treo 650?
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmicride
    aero310... i never thought it would be such a simple solution but THANK YOU cause IT WORKS now! you've made my day!
    That worked?
    That's an interesting find, Wow
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero310
    I had the same problem and solved it simply by inserting a SIM card from another provider and then switched back to the previous card. Since then I don't have that 160 chars limitation anymore.
    I will add this to my Troubleshooter Post
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...1&page=1&pp=20
    if I can get another verification that it works.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero310
    Are your long messages (over 160) being sent as entire messages or being broken up into smaller messages? It was my understanding that 160 characters a limit of SMS itself and has nothing to do with the phones, carriers, networks, etc.
  12.    #12  
    2000 man,messages will be segmented, but at least you can type the message in continuity till 650 characters and the treo will sort the messages out itself (namely sending them as separte sms in 160 characters each).

this is really good with cheap sms like i do (mine are free for a month) and i can go on and on and on...making sense of course.
    Treo 650
    Sony UX-50
    I've also got unlimited SMS and use it pretty frequently. I'm usually at about 800-1000 each month. It would be nice to have a way around the 160 character entry limit on the CDMA 650.
    2000 man,messages will be segmented, but at least you can type the message in continuity till 650 characters and the treo will sort the messages out itself (namely sending them as separte sms in 160 characters each).

this is really good with cheap sms like i do (mine are free for a month) and i can go on and on and on...making sense of course.
    I can't do that! It'd be great if I could though. I'm with Sprint. Is there something I'm missing?
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    I can't do that! It'd be great if I could though. I'm with Sprint. Is there something I'm missing?
    Nope. Doesn't work on Sprint.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Nope. Doesn't work on Sprint.
    Anyone know of hack I can use or something?
    Anyone know of hack I can use or something?
    Email?

Sorry....cingular here. This was one big reason I switched from Sprint.

I vaguley remember a hacked version of sms that allowed this on the 600 when I had Sprint. No idea if it works for the 650 though....check MTDN, they probably have it. It wouldn't let you go into preferences, IIRC, it caused a reset when you tried, but it did increase that limit. Or my memory is totally gone and I am talking crap now....can't really tell any more.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  18.    #18  
    so you are saying changing SIMs from sprint to sprint has no response?
    Treo 650
    Sony UX-50
    so you are saying changing SIMs from sprint to sprint has no response?
    Grasshopper, To change the SIM, one must first have the SIM.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    there is a program called grouptextmsg that allows for more than 160 char, it will split the sms into seperate ones that are less than 160
    Treoing & Loving it
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast