1.    #1  
    I went to Fry's Electronics and got to try out a Treo. The main thing I was concerned about was how the keyboard would work. I found it a little klutzy (I've got big thumbs), but I was able to type in some messages. The software to ignore accidental keypresses is great, because I'm sure I was mashing plenty of buttons inadvertantly without them showing up. I'm still not sure whether I like the thumb keyboard or not; I'd probably need ot use it a while to be sure.

I noticed that when using the thumb keyboard, I automatically started using a fingernail instead of a pen for selecting things on screen. It seemed natural, because I didn't want to switch between thumb-keyboard and pen entry (it would've been too awkward). Is this alright in the longrun? Will I need a screen protector if I do this regularly?

The unit was smaller than I expected, which is good. I'm thinking it would be nice to carry in my front left pocket without a cover, so it would take up as little space as possible and be as quickly accesible as possible. Do other peope do that? Is it safe? Of course I wouldn't keep anything else in that pocket whatsoever if I did this.

Shopping for plans, I found a Cingular phone on Amazon for $150 after rebates (but I had to commit to a two year plan). Seems like a good deal though.

Thanks,

Rick Taylor
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Welcome! Quick opinions:
    - AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $assuming$ $you$ $were$ $in$ $a$ $stock$ $app$, $there$'$s$ $no$ &$quot$;$counter$-$mashing$&$quot$; $software$. $I$ $think$ $the$ $curvature$ $of$ $the$ $keys$ $cause$ $a$) $a$ $klutzy$ $feel$, $and$ $the$ $b$) $the$ $ability$ $to$ $make$ $contact$ $with$ $5$ $keys$ $at$ $once$ $and$ $only$ $activate$ $the$ $one$ $in$ $the$ $middle$.
    - Fingernail use is extremely common. Regardless of fingernail use, I highly recommend a good screen protector. Some people will tell you they've never used one and have mint screens, but I suspect these people have poor vision and just can't see the wear. My screen started showing the first signs of wear after about 6 months, so I have been using screen protectors since. I can't stand the Palm, Fellowes, etc. rubbery ones, so I spend too much on Boxwave crystals. I recommend anything fairly rigid; in fact, I hear overhead projector sheets work quite well when cut to size.
    - Pocket (sans keys, change, anything hard or sharp) is fine if you use a screen protector.
    - I like Sprint myself(cheap, good coverage where I am), but if you get good Cingular coverage in the places you frequent, that's probably the most important thing. The deal on the phone is good - typical, competitive good, not "what a deal" good - but the total monthly cost of your service plan is a far bigger factor. Shop around on carriers that have good coverage in your area. Also brush up on the differences between GSM (Cingular, T-Mo, Alltel, most of the Eastern Hemisphere) and CDMA (Sprint, Verizon, most of North America); search this board - you'll find plenty.

Hope this helps. Plenty of additional info/opinions are available on this board; just search.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    Quote Originally Posted by RickTaylor
    I noticed that when using the thumb keyboard, I automatically started using a fingernail instead of a pen for selecting things on screen. It seemed natural, because I didn't want to switch between thumb-keyboard and pen entry (it would've been too awkward). Is this alright in the longrun? Will I need a screen protector if I do this regularly?
    I have been using my finger on a regular basis with both the 600 and 650. No problems at all. However, I have always had a screen protector. Some people don't use them. But I highl recommended it.

The unit was smaller than I expected, which is good. I'm thinking it would be nice to carry in my front left pocket without a cover, so it would take up as little space as possible and be as quickly accesible as
    possible. Do other peope do that? Is it safe?
    Pretty safe. I don't have a case for my 650. Just a screen protector and eGrips.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Actually I"m quite sure I've read that the Treo does employ some basic smartness to the keyboard, like if you press gf, whichever is pressed first gets entered and the other character is ignored. Otherwise we'd all wind up with a lot of crazy entries I'm sure, as it's very easy to fat-thumb the keyboard, especially on the go.

I've found the biggest tip to easy text entry on the Treo is keeping your thumbnails very short so you can poke with the end of them. I can sometimes type with the sides of my thumbs but the tips I'm faster with.

And if the Treo is laying on my desk at work, I can semi-touch type on it..
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    ... the Treo does employ some basic smartness to the keyboard, like if you press gf, whichever is pressed first gets entered and the other character is ignored.
    Not true; easy enough to test. Both keys register. See? gfffffff No software magic here. Although I'm sure they could have written the KB driver to act as khaytsus describes, they didn't.

The typing is bearable because the "domed" keys allow you to make contact with surrounding keys without actually depressing them. Just think about it for a moment and I'm sure you'll find that makes a lot of sense.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    i think the keypad just needs getting use to, like i can even use one hand now. some apps are ****e and require pressing the screen sometimes which get on myy nerve but the phone is almost independant of the stylus.
    Treo 650
    Sony UX-50
    Tungsten T5 (other half's)
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by kvcobra
    - Fingernail use is extremely common. Regardless of fingernail use, I highly recommend a good screen protector.
    This is very good to hear. One of my fears about buying a Treo was that switching back and forth between keyboard and pen would be cumbersome. Heh. I'm already considering how long I want the nail on my index finger to be for efficient pointing. Does grooming myself to make data entry efficient on my pda make me a geek?

Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    I've found the biggest tip to easy text entry on the Treo is keeping your thumbnails very short so you can poke with the end of them. I can sometimes type with the sides of my thumbs but the tips I'm faster with.
    Hmmmm. I can't imagine it, but I'll give it a try. Short, but not to the quick so you can use the nails to type I take it? I'll experiment. Ergonomics of using the keyboard and switching between it and the pen was my biggest fear using the Treo, but it seems like it might work out. I actually appreciated having a menu button I could press and not worry about poking it with the pen.

- Pocket (sans keys, change, anything hard or sharp) is fine if you use a screen protector.
    This is good to hear; part of the motivation for getting a Treo instead of a palm+phone is to avoid pocket-bulge while having a device that was accesible as possible, after all.

- AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $assuming$ $you$ $were$ $in$ $a$ $stock$ $app$, $there$'$s$ $no$ &$quot$;$counter$-$mashing$&$quot$; $software$. $I$ $think$ $the$ $curvature$ $of$ $the$ $keys$ $cause$ $a$) $a$ $klutzy$ $feel$, $and$ $the$ $b$) $the$ $ability$ $to$ $make$ $contact$ $with$ $5$ $keys$ $at$ $once$ $and$ $only$ $activate$ $the$ $one$ $in$ $the$ $middle$.
    I'm certain I read a review of the Treo that mentioned some sort of error-correction software that ignored keys that seemed to be mashed. Unfortunately I can't find it now. Doesn't necesarily mean it's true, of course. And regardless, I was impressed out how well I was able to type with my big thumbs mashing five keys at once.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicride
    i think the keypad just needs getting use to, like i can even use one hand now. some apps are ****e and require pressing the screen sometimes which get on myy nerve but the phone is almost independant of the stylus.
    I can see how if the keyboard works well, you'd want to have apps that used pointing devices as little as possible.

- I like Sprint myself(cheap, good coverage where I am), but if you get good Cingular coverage in the places you frequent, that's probably the most important thing. The deal on the phone is good - typical, competitive good, not "what a deal" good - but the total monthly cost of your service plan is a far bigger factor. Shop around on carriers that have good coverage in your area. Also brush up on the differences between GSM (Cingular, T-Mo, Alltel, most of the Eastern Hemisphere) and CDMA (Sprint, Verizon, most of North America); search this board - you'll find plenty.
    I'm tending towards Cingular, partly in case I travel to europe in the next two years, and also because many of my friends in this area have Cingular, and they don't charge you when you're on the phone with another Cingular customer.

Thank you all for your help, I'll keep you posted as to what I decide.

--Rick Taylor
    I'm thinking it would be nice to carry in my front left pocket without a cover, so it would take up as little space as possible and be as quickly accesible as possible. Do other peope do that? Is it safe?
    Rick Taylor
    I have never used a screen protector. I have the Seidio belt clip holster. Great for one handed grab and detach access. And best part is that the screen faces the solid plastic inner surface (felt lined) of the holster while the back of the Treo faces outwards, thus it is very very protected from bumps and dings to the screen. It would work in your shirt pocket, but it might hang a bit awkwardly since it does weigh 6 oz or so. I had my Treo in my pants pocket for the first couple months, but then I got the belt/hip holster and I am very happy with it.
    -- Josh
    This is very good to hear. One of my fears about buying a Treo was that switching back and forth between keyboard and pen would be cumbersome. Heh. I'm already considering how long I want the nail on my index finger to be for efficient pointing. Does grooming myself to make data entry efficient on my pda make me a geek?
    Funny, it was the ability to use the stylus that sold me on the Treo. Once I learned that TealScript would open up the full screen to Graffiti, that was it. I find being able to use the keyboard and the stylus much like using a keyboard and mouse on a PC. It's just quicker that way.

Each to his own. The Treo is all about flexibility.

-- Bill
    I got myself this from boxwave

That is the skin I use... WITH a screen protector, NEVER use a PDA w/o one... and that mini-sync cable is sweet.

THO I came across this and am thinking of getting it... seidio... a battery cover with a reset hole... and they sell a skin with that hole there... NOT that you'll need to reset you T650... but WHEN you install/un-install software, test software... push the T650's limits...

It'll get annoying removing the battery cover to reset the T650.

If you can get used to the T650... it's a beauty...
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com