1.    #1  
    After following the installation method prescribed in "Palm Desktop 4.0 released" thread, which involves installing 4.0 over the Handspring release, in my case 3.0.1, then reinstalling the Handspring 3.0.1 HotSync Manager and copying back previously saved palm.cnt and PalmCmn.dll files, instead of successfully running the new Palm Desktop I get the following error messages:

Error starting program:

The MSBCP60.DLL file is linked to missing export MSVCRT.DLL__lp_collate_cp

After clicking out of that, I get the following:

[path]\palm.exe

A device attached to the system is not working

During the course of installing Desktop 4.0, I get the following error message:

One or more files did not properly self-register:

AlarmSvr.dll
    DateAlarm.dll

I have tried unistalling 4.0, going back to 3.0.1, and reinstalling 4.0, and I get the same messages each (3X) time.

Any suggestions?

TIA,

David A. Guberman
    Hmmm... When you installed the 4.0 version, was the HotSync Manager running? And do you have any third-party conduits installed? Windows 98? 98SE? ME?

Also-- when you uninstalled 4.0 and reinstalled 3.0.1, did you:

1) Reboot between the 4.0 uninstallation and the 3.0.1 installation

2) Run 3.0.1 to see if that still ran?

Rebooting between the installs isn't necessary but I usually make that a part of my personal installation routine to make sure everything is cleared out. Other people's opinions may vary but I'm mentioning it, just in case.

On #2, if the answer is no, try it-- if 3.0.1 fails to run, then I think something else is interfering with your install/uninstall. If it runs then I'd do this:

a) Back up your users directory.
    b) Exit the HotSync Manager.
    c) Exit any other app/process that interacts with the HotSync Manager
    d) At this point, copy out PALM.CNT and PALMCMN.DLL
    e) Run the Palm Desktop 4.0 installation
    f) After the system comes up, run the Palm Desktop 4.0. Don't do anything else (like copy in the files or perform the Handspring 3.01/3.1 HotSync Manager install. This step will test whether the basic Palm Desktop 4.0 install did what it was suppose to do). This includes not setting up the alarm options.

At the point, if the 4.0 version doesn't run, then there's some funky interaction with your Win32 enviroment and the DLLs the 4.0 version lays down.

g) Let's say that the 4.0 version does run....go to (h)
    h) Exit the Palm Desktop 4.0 and its HotSync Manager.
    i) Run the Handspring 3.01/3.1 desktop install to perform a custom installation of only the HotSync Manager.
    j) After the Handspring HotSync Manager installation, run the Palm Desktop 4.0.

k) If you don't get any errors at this point, then I'd just copy in the palm.cnt file. If you get the same error others have gotten in the other thread, then go ahead and copy in the palmcmn.dll file.
    I've been reading so many horror stories about the dire results of installing Palm Desktop 4.0 that the question asks itself: Are the advantages of the new desktop worth the agravation?
    i'm puzzled as to why there are so many problems! I've installed 4.0 on my home AND work computer without a problem. It is a nice upgrade...I think the desktop alarms feature did it for me.

It's so simple, i'm not sure what might be on some of these computers that's causing the problem. Install 4.0. Copy the PalmCMN.dll and Palm.cnt files to another folder. Install the Hotsync software from the Handspring disk (custom installation).

This will automatically start hotsync manager. shut it down!

Copy the 2 files mentioned above BACK into the Palm directory (overwriting the existing files).

Start the Hotsync manager and GO!

I've done it twice without a hitch on 2 VERY different machines.

wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by ProjectZero
    Hmmm... When you installed the 4.0 version, was the HotSync Manager running?
    After reading your post, I tried again, with HotSync Manager not running.

And do you have any third-party conduits installed? Windows 98? 98SE? ME?
    Win98SE
    BackupBuddy
    MobileLink (AvantGo)
    Pocket Quicken
    WordSmith

Also-- when you uninstalled 4.0 and reinstalled 3.0.1, did you:

1) Reboot between the 4.0 uninstallation and the 3.0.1 installation

After reading your post, I made sure to.
    2) Run 3.0.1 to see if that still ran?
    It does.

On #2, . . . If it runs then I'd do this:

a) Back up your users directory.
    b) Exit the HotSync Manager.
    c) Exit any other app/process that interacts with the HotSync Manager
    d) At this point, copy out PALM.CNT and PALMCMN.DLL
    e) Run the Palm Desktop 4.0 installation
    f) After the system comes up, run the Palm Desktop 4.0. Don't do anything else (like copy in the files or perform the Handspring 3.01/3.1 HotSync Manager install. This step will test whether the basic Palm Desktop 4.0 install did what it was suppose to do). This includes not setting up the alarm options.
    I again got the two non-registration error messages

At the point, if the 4.0 version doesn't run, then there's some funky interaction with your Win32 enviroment and the DLLs the 4.0 version lays down.
    Assuming this is the problem, does anyone have any suggestion on how I should proceed?
    Originally posted by Hoser_in_USA
    i'm puzzled as to why there are so many problems! I've installed 4.0 on my home AND work computer without a problem. It is a nice upgrade...I think the desktop alarms feature did it for me.

It's so simple, i'm not sure what might be on some of these computers that's causing the problem. Install 4.0. Copy the PalmCMN.dll and Palm.cnt files to another folder. Install the Hotsync software from the Handspring disk (custom installation).

This will automatically start hotsync manager. shut it down!

Copy the 2 files mentioned above BACK into the Palm directory (overwriting the existing files).

Start the Hotsync manager and GO!

I've done it twice without a hitch on 2 VERY different machines.

Well, I just tried the install again, and it WORKED. I'm so happy . Follow these instructions exactly, and it woll work. My problem from before was that I was copying the files before I installed 4.0, and then I was putting them back after the install of Palm 3.1 Hotsync. Now thatI did it this way, it all works .

BEN