1.    #1  
    I have email forwarded to fastmail using "rules and alerts" in Outlook. It appears that I cannot receive email in Chatter unless Outlook is open. Most of the time this is not a problem, but I would like to receive email on the treo while I am travelling and the pc is not online. Is there a way around this.

Everett Fredholm
    It sounds like you're relying on your PC to forward the mail, so how could that possibly work if your PC is off? Why not forward from the server directly, rather than with Outlook?

Marc
  3.    #3  
    I don't think I know how to do that.

Everett Fredholm
    You'd have to find out whether your regular mail server allows mail to be forwarded (most ISPs allow this).

Marc
    Actually, you might be able to have Fastmail directly check your primary email using POP, then have Outlook & Chatter both check Fastmail using IMAP. You might like this configuration better than how you currently have it, since everything would be maintained from the Fastmail IMAP server and would add IMAP to your Outlook (along with not needing to keep Outlook open to relay email). To avoid having multiple sets of emails, you can have Fastmail remove the email from your primary server upon checking. I don't use Fastmail, but found some instructions on Fastmail's website to do this.

http://www.fastmail.net/docs/faqparts/PopLinks.htm

Basically, you would set-up Fastmail using the same POP settings you are using in Outlook now. Then change your Outlook to use Fastmail using IMAP. Won't need to change anything in Chatter.

It would be better to have your primary server forward the emails to Fastmail though, as Chatter suggests. This way your email will forward immediately when its received to primary email server as opposed to Fastmail needing to check it on a schedule. If you are able to do this, then you don't need to configure Fastmail as I suggested. Only need to set the forward on your primary email server & configure Outlook to use Fastmail.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by CraniumFunk; 03/11/2006 at 07:52 PM.
  6.    #6  
    Thank you both. I think I have it figured out now. I sure am impressed with the support for chattermail. I have never seen anything like this.

Everett Fredholm
    Enjoy!

Marc