Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I have been using my Treo 650 to replace my Skytel pager by forwarding messages to the Treo as an SMS message. My company sends out about 10 300-700 character alerts a day and I am usually OK with the 160 character limit as the beginning of the message is typically enough for me to know what I need.

I have had a few recently where I needed more text and I am now looking for some way to get the pages via email on the Treo. Timeliness matters -- I am often in meetings with peers and all our devices (pagers, blackberrys, cell phones) go off one after the other and I don't want to be the only one left out .

- Is push instantaneous or is Chatter polling every few minutes?
    - If using IMAP, am I online all the time (that would eat my monthly minutes)?
    - I do not need to respond to pages and wanted to use my web host to set-up a "dedicated" email account to forward the pages to. I know I can receive via IMAP, but did not see an option for "imap idle."

I am trying to avoid Verizon's $50/month data fee. As they charge $.005/kb a la carte it should cost about the same to use email instead of the $5/month for txt msgs.

If I could get this to work and it only costs me $5-6/month recurring, I may divorce my wife and marry my Treo.

Thanks,
    Gene
    Last edited by gtrinker; 03/10/2006 at 11:02 PM.
    How fast push arrives depends on your IMAP server; with fastmail.fm or everyone.net, it's a matter of seconds (no polling).

Yes, you're online all the time IF you're using the push feature. I'm unaware of ANY data service that charges for being online (i.e. independent of actually using data).

IDLE is either implemented or not on a particular server; you can try and see if it works or you can ask your server host.

There's NO way of knowing what data usage will be - there are literally dozens of factors involved. You MIGHT get away with $5-6/month, but I do NOT recommend Chatter to users without unlimited data plans (lots of people ignore this, though).

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    I'm unaware of ANY data service that charges for being online (i.e. independent of actually using data).
    Marc
    I thought the same too until I noticed while traveling internationally that some of the local service providers don't yet have GPRS, only WAP for data access, in which case data is charged based on the time connected and not by per kb transfered. I purchased local SIMs and found this to be the case.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    My Webhost supports IMAP-IDLE! My carrier is Verizon. All I want to acheive with Chatter is to be able to receive timely "pages." While I am sure I will send/receive some email outside of that, I do not plan on fowarding all personal and work email to my Treo. I have already setup a dedicated email address for the pages.

Marc -- Considering the above, would you still not recommend Chatter without an unlimited data plan? I realize the obvious thing is take advantage of your 30 day trial and watch my Verizon usage.

Gene

Work already pays for the SkyTel service so getting them to pay for the data plan will be tough and asked my get me rewarded with a Blackberry
    I decided to upgrade from a Sprint Treo 600 to a 650 and checked around for data plans. After looking, I went with Sprint's unlimited SMS/data plan. As Marc mentioned, data usage can be a bit factor. Chatter's current implimentation works very well for me here in the land of nowhere 2,500 miles west of somewhere. I keep two folders on line and 4 others off line. I also have the POP3 option installed for the occasional poll to another provider. Chater and a good data play rock. Ben
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I installed the 30 day trial and sent a few test messages, then went to Skytel and forward my pages to the email account I set-up with my Webhost. Other than an unexpected automatic reset (which also fixed the "unable to resolve host" during the inital set-up. It was a breeze to configure and worked GREAT!

Gene
    Last edited by gtrinker; 03/15/2006 at 08:44 PM.