Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Maybe this is just a dumb question, but it's really annoying:

While on a call and still in the Phone application, the screen and keyboard go dim to conserve battery. When the call terminates, however, as soon as the communication is broken (either because I hung up first, or the other party hung up first), the screen and keypad goes off immediately. Is this normal behaviour?

Many times after a call, I want to continue using the Palm side for other things, but the stupid thing has shut-down. And by the time I retrieve it from its holster or pocket (especially while driving), it has also locked up, requiring 2-hand operation again to "wake-up". I know that I can extend the period between power-down and lock-up from 5 secs to 30 seconds, but that only marginally helps. Besides, it seems I can't prevent it from shutting it down at all after hanging up; even if I hold it with both hands and I hang up 1st, I can't do anything fast enough to "stop it" from shutting down. What gives?

Is there a setting somewhere that I have overlooked? TIA.
    What Firmware/Software version is on your phone and who's your carrier?
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    2-hand operation to wake-up? Care to describe that one?
    Quote Originally Posted by artologik
    Maybe this is just a dumb question, but it's really annoying:

While on a call and still in the Phone application, the screen and keyboard go dim to conserve battery. When the call terminates, however, as soon as the communication is broken (either because I hung up first, or the other party hung up first), the screen and keypad goes off immediately. Is this normal behaviour?
    I see that too. But I have no problem waking up the Treo the usual way (any of the 4 hard buttons).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    2-hand operation to wake-up? Care to describe that one?
    That would be wake-up and unlock at once, as in function-key and power at once. You need two hands for that; unless you have very large hands!!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    What Firmware/Software version is on your phone and who's your carrier?
    How do I get Firmware?
    If you mean the Phone Info from the Phone menu, then it shows:

Phone Number: blah-blah
    Username: blah-blah
    ESN: blah-blah
    Software: Treo650-1.03-BMO
    Hardware: B

I can also tell you from the Apps Menu, Version Info:
    Palm OS Garnet v.5.4.8
    Palm Phone v1.0
    Prefs v1.4.
    Provider is Bell Mobility Canada
    A few apps being tried out, like Address XT, mSafe, SplashID and VolumeCare, but this "problem" started long before I added these.

Thanks
    You don't need to push both buttons at the same time. Pushing Option, THEN the power key (or center key) will suffice. You don't even need to be that fast - there doesn't seem to be a time limit.
    Quote Originally Posted by blocktek
    You don't need to push both buttons at the same time. Pushing Option, THEN the power key (or center key) will suffice. You don't even need to be that fast - there doesn't seem to be a time limit.
    Exactly. Anyone with opposable thumbs should be able to do it one-handed.
    Artologik,

Does this only happen when using a BT headset? I seem to recall we had this problem with CNG/CNB phones prior to the 1.17 update, and StopDim from GoTreoSoftware provided a fix for it which became no longer necessary after the update came out.

Perhaps try StopDim and see if it helps? Maybe the fix didn't get fixed in your phone FW

10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by blocktek
    Interesting. On mine, I do have to press both Option and red/power key at once. Furthermore, Option and center key does not work either, even if pushed at once or in sequence. Different firmware?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    Artologik,

Does this only happen when using a BT headset? I seem to recall we had this problem with CNG/CNB phones prior to the 1.17 update, and StopDim from GoTreoSoftware provided a fix for it which became no longer necessary after the update came out.

Perhaps try StopDim and see if it helps? Maybe the fix didn't get fixed in your phone FW
    No, this happens regardless of headset usage.
    I'll have to see if this app you mention can help. But it looks like my phone may be different from others (see my reply above).

P.s. What is this 1.17 update? An old (or current) firmware update? How do I find out my firmware version? Aren't the firmware updates provider-specific?
    Interesting. On mine, I do have to press both Option and red/power key at once. Furthermore, Option and center key does not work either, even if pushed at once or in sequence. Different firmware?
    Can't you just press the power button (red phone button) to turn the screen on, then the center D-pad button to unlock it?

Nope. Press any of the 4-hard keys and then press the center d-pad button within a few seconds. Nothing to it.
    No, this happens regardless of headset usage.
    I'll have to see if this app you mention can help. But it looks like my phone may be different from others (see my reply above).

P.s. What is this 1.17 update? An old (or current) firmware update? How do I find out my firmware version? Aren't the firmware updates provider-specific?
    The 1.17 update was for Cingular (Blue and Orange) customers. Looking on the Palm site, there doesn't appear to be any updates for Bell Mobility (BMO), so you have the "latest" that's available for your phone I'm guessing.

Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    How do I get Firmware?
    If you mean the Phone Info from the Phone menu, then it shows:

Phone Number: blah-blah
    Username: blah-blah
    ESN: blah-blah
    Software: Treo650-1.03-BMO
    Hardware: B

I can also tell you from the Apps Menu, Version Info:
    Palm OS Garnet v.5.4.8
    Palm Phone v1.0
    Prefs v1.4.
    Provider is Bell Mobility Canada
    A few apps being tried out, like Address XT, mSafe, SplashID and VolumeCare, but this "problem" started long before I added these.

Thanks
    You should update your firmware.
    Quote Originally Posted by naivete
    You should update your firmware.
    No, he shouldn't. Read a little more closely.
  17.    #17  
    Thank you all for your input; I learned 2 useful lessons so far:

I suspected the firmware was provider-specific, which in my case at 1.03, is most current. I did not think of looking at Palm's site for updates; I was surfing Bell's site...Duh!

Er, yeah. Turns out I can turn it on with one hand (by Power or 4 hard keys, then center D-pad); my bad. I was trying Option and Power in sequence as suggested, which does not work. Nevertheless, Option key and Power key at the same time is a "short-cut" that is not very useful, requiring 2 hands; I would call it an alternate method.

HOWEVER, the end-of-call behavior is still annoying to me . One member posted that s/he sees the same end-of-call behavior. A colleague of mine I saw at lunch with the same Treo thought it was a nice feature to power-down like that. Maybe it's a preference thing....

Do you folks get the same "phone-was-trying-to-save-power-while-on-a-call-by-dimming-the-screen-but-now-that-this-call-is-over-phone-must-power-down-completely-ASAP"? And if you do, don't you find it annoying?

TIA
    My phone dims during the call but after the call stays on for 2 mins as per my power prefernces

Thank you all for your input; I learned 2 useful lessons so far:

I suspected the firmware was provider-specific, which in my case at 1.03, is most current. I did not think of looking at Palm's site for updates; I was surfing Bell's site...Duh!

Er, yeah. Turns out I can turn it on with one hand (by Power or 4 hard keys, then center D-pad); my bad. I was trying Option and Power in sequence as suggested, which does not work. Nevertheless, Option key and Power key at the same time is a "short-cut" that is not very useful, requiring 2 hands; I would call it an alternate method.

HOWEVER, the end-of-call behavior is still annoying to me . One member posted that s/he sees the same end-of-call behavior. A colleague of mine I saw at lunch with the same Treo thought it was a nice feature to power-down like that. Maybe it's a preference thing....

Do you folks get the same "phone-was-trying-to-save-power-while-on-a-call-by-dimming-the-screen-but-now-that-this-call-is-over-phone-must-power-down-completely-ASAP"? And if you do, don't you find it annoying?

TIA
    Two possibilities I see, based on my experience with my Cingular Treo 650. First the easy one: In Preferences, there is a Power setting that can be set to power off anywhere from 30 seconds to three minutes, on my firmware. It is possible that you have the power off on the lowest setting and it is shutting down before you get a chance to do something else. I have mine on two minutes and still get good battery life. Second, the hard one: I have also have had a problem with my phone doing a soft reset after I hung up, and this was very annoying. I upgraded my Cingular firmware to 1.17 and the problem disappeared for months. Not one soft reset in months. Then, unexplicably, the problem came back. Then I upgraded again to a custom ROM 1.20 ENA that Jamesgang made, (thank you very much) without the tutorial, most of the languages, and Real Player. Again, no recent resets. If what you're getting is soft resets after the call, I would try a ROM upgrade. There are plenty of "how to's" on that issue in this forum.
    You could also disable the keyguard function so that you don't have to 'unlock' the phone every time you turn it on. Just hit the power button and you're up and running again.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast