Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I know this topic has been covered in many threads before. And still I feel further investigation is in order - at least for those of us who prefer using the stylus to input text.

I've tried mWrite, TealScript, Jot, NewPen, etc. I found them all to have flaws, incompatibilities or are were just too complicated to get the most out of.

Graffiti Anywhere, while having the same problems, offers solutions to get around them. For instance, it is very easy to enable or disable. And if you're not sure which state it is in, the visual indicator is always there but never noticeable unless you're looking for it. Also, it is so easy to have it run automatically when certain applications run, and not to when others do.

I have my copy set to toggle on/off from the side button. I have it set to run automatically in Memo Pad, and not run in the Phone application, as I found it gave me trouble trying to answer and end calls.

Coupled with the Graffiti 1 library, Graffiti Anywhere is an elegant solution for text entry. Unfortunately, if you pair it with Graffiti 1, you cannot do punctuation!!! I'm sick over it.

Short of hoping that the developer will find a way to enable full support for Graffiti 1, this is the best idea I can think of: shortcuts for punctuation. You know, make up your own set of punctuation shortcuts, and trigger them by drawing that little ribbon character. For example: [Ribbon]+[S]=$.

Unfortunately, the Treo 650 doesn't allow us to make our own shortcuts up like older Palms used to do! This is brutal!

So, I looked around and found a program called ShortCuts5. It adds the shortcuts back into our Preferences screen. However, there is another dead end here: You don't trigger the ShortCuts5 shortcuts with the [ribbon] drawing, you trigger it with a [.]!!! With Graffiti 1 and Graffiti Anywhere you can't draw a period!!!!

Maybe the ShortCuts5 developer will allow the option to trigger his shortcuts with the [ribbon]? Or maybe someone here knows of another shortcut creation program that would work? Or, maybe there is even another Graffiti program you can recommend that I haven't come across yet?
    I played with Graffiti1 a while back on a 600 (I'm now a 650 owner). As I recall, punctuation didn't work as I expected it to (pressing a dot), but there was some other trigger for it, like perhaps a backslash drawn from the southeast corner up to the northwest corner.

Sorry that my memory isn't too precise on this, but you might try that stroke and other similar variations.

This link supports my recollection, although I don't know if it applies to the 650:
    http://en.pdassi.com/product.php?pf=palmos&prod_id=6767

"Added special stroke recognition (from bottom-right to top-left) to enter punctuation mode"

Good luck ...
    Try this, these are the Shortcut files from the T3, they maybe what you need. If i recall correctly the Shortcut5 app slowed down the Treo because of it hooking Hede (read here ---->)Bill Gamble on Shortcut5, and replacement suggestion
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jae_63
    I played with Graffiti1 a while back on a 600 (I'm now a 650 owner). As I recall, punctuation didn't work as I expected it to (pressing a dot), but there was some other trigger for it, like perhaps a backslash drawn from the southeast corner up to the northwest corner.

Sorry that my memory isn't too precise on this, but you might try that stroke and other similar variations.

This link supports my recollection, although I don't know if it applies to the 650:
    http://en.pdassi.com/product.php?pf=palmos&prod_id=6767

"Added special stroke recognition (from bottom-right to top-left) to enter punctuation mode"

Good luck ...
    Yeah, I couldn't get the special punctuation stroke to trigger for me. In all of the threads I read, only one person said they could. And then later they came back and said maybe they were confusing their memory with that of a different Palm device.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko515
    Try this, these are the Shortcut files from the T3, they maybe what you need. If i recall correctly the Shortcut5 app slowed down the Treo because of it hooking Hede (read here ---->)Bill Gamble on Shortcut5, and replacement suggestion
    Wow! Thanks for pointing me there. That did get me back the ability to add shortcuts triggered by drawing the [ribbon] symbol.

I'm playing with it now. I can see that it might turn out to be a pain, though. For instance, making two strokes just to input a period doesn't seem like it will become second-nature.

I guess I was really hoping that I could use the shortcut symbol to replace the punctuation-shift in Graffit 1. However, I still can't draw a backwards 'c' to get a ')' or a comma to get a comma. Instead, I'd have to do something like [ribbon]+ep to get the end parens and [ribbon]+c to draw a comma.

I tried going back to Graffiti 2, but it always takes five tries just to make an 'i' when I want to. A capitol 'I' and a couple of other characters I could never get to work. Also, when I make an 'L' (or 'l') with Graffiti 2, it doesn't appear instantly as text until after I've also written the following character.

Maybe what we need is another way to trigger the punctuation-shift of Graffiti 1 while using Graffiti Anywhere?
    Look at my sig -- I've been using Graffiti 1 since the beginning of time, it seems.

GA is a great app, and so I just bit the bullet and spent a week learning G2.

It is MUCH easier learning G2 than jumping through all those hoops to get G1 working well on a treo 650. IMHO.

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    Before I got my 650 I worried that I would hate the keyboard and miss Graffiti. Reading this thread reminds me of all the problems with special characters even on a machine with Graffiti built in, and I am now so grateful for this little keybard.

My recommendation is to embrace the Dark Side and use the keyboard. (Sorry if that seems an obnoxious suggestion.)

Been there, done that,
    Jeff DLB
    Last edited by Jeff DLB; 03/10/2006 at 09:05 PM. Reason: typo
    Palm user since 1999-04-16: III > IIIx > Vx > Sony N610c > SJ33 > Treo 650 GSM > Centro CDMA
    If only the :shortcut: symbol was easier to access.....
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    FWIW re 650: after testing every Graffiti app I could get my little grubby hands on, I happily purchased MobileWrite. You can choose G1 or G2, or regular handwriting. I chose G1, and have my darlin' punctuation back. Main diffs:

1) instead of drawing a "v" backwards, you write it top stroke to bottom and back up, with a little wing to the right

2) no "enter punctuation mode" stroke required
    -- period: just enter a dot
    -- comma: draw a J on the right side of the screen
    -- semicolon: same as above, but tap a dot over that J
    -- quotes, apostrohpe: draw a short line down and back up; do it twice for quote, once for apostrophe

You can select an option within MW to do the caps thing, i.e., write 'em in middle of the screen.

Unlike TealScript, the ink strokes show up each and every time. Unlike Graffiti Anywhere with G1 library installed, punctuation works, reliably. Bonus: sucka is stable!! On a 650, there is NO need for RLock, as the app intelligently locks itself and protects its database as it should. Indeed, if you do employ RLock to doublelock it, MW stops working (ask Brainiac here how I know this).

With MobileWrite loaded, I also use ShortCut5. It's proven to be a magnificent combo. MW trial available at the usual spots.
    Thank you TreoRenegade !!! I too am a long time graffiti user and was very disappointed it wasn't an included app on the 650. I've been limping along with GA but have been missing those punctuations and shortcuts.
    Now there's hope for more bliss.
    Thanks again !!!