1.    #1  
    This one's a long shot, but here goes:

Are there any Formula 1 fans out there that have tried to get the live timing website to work on a treo? I've tried on all three mainstream browsers, Blazer (forget it), Xiino, and Opera (I had high hopes since it is Java based, but I keep getting an error.) The timing window is a popup and a Java Applet, which I'm guessing causes the problems.

It'd be really cool if it worked, but my hopes are fading. Any suggestions (including just telling me to stop hoping) would be much appreciated.

Also, here's some technical notes from the site:

General information: the Live Timing System requires Java version 1.3.1 or greater. Mac users should use OS X with Safari, Firefox or Netscape browsers.

If you are having trouble viewing the Live Timing System you may find the following information useful:

Q: I can't see the Live Timing System on the page. I just get an empty outlined box.

A: The Live Timing System is a Java Applet. You will need to have a Java Runtime Environment installed for your browser to display the page correctly. The Java button below will take you to the Sun Java web site where you can install a Java Runtime Environment by clicking on the "Get it now" link.

Q: I can see the timing information but it only updates every 30 seconds. I thought it was meant to be live?

A: The Live Timing System has two methods of update. When the page is initially loaded the Java Applet tries to connect to the formula1.com streaming server on network port 4321 for live updates. Some corporate networks or firewalls will block connections to this port. If this is the case and the Applet cannot connect to the live streaming server, so it will connect using the web and refreshes every 30 seconds instead. You can determine how the Applet is connected by looking at the small coloured connection indicator at the bottom left of the Live Timing System screen (as shown below).

If it is yellow you are connected to the live timing streaming server and every time it receives data it will flash green. If it is red it could not connect to the live timing streaming server and will update over the web every 30 seconds, and again flash green when it receives data. If it is grey the session is over and you have been disconnected and you should press Refresh on your browser before the next session begins. If the indicator shows that you cannot connect to the live timing streaming server you should contact your System Administrator and ask them to open TCP port 4321 for you.
    Not to be mean but it seems to work on my Treo 700W. Thanks for the tip. Hope there's a solution for the PalmOS.

-Jesse

Go McLaren!
  3.    #3  
    Well, it'll be pretty cool... for you. I really want to see if I can get it to work on the 650 before I go to Montreal this year. It would be really sweet to have live sector times, leaders etc, right in your hand during the race.

Hope I can find a solution, too.
    Have you tried WebPro?
    Quote Originally Posted by RJH2
    Well, it'll be pretty cool... for you. I really want to see if I can get it to work on the 650 before I go to Montreal this year. It would be really sweet to have live sector times, leaders etc, right in your hand during the race.

Hope I can find a solution, too.
    I'll be there too! It'll be my 4th year in a row. Hope they do the pitwalk again on Thursday morning. Got some great shots. One thing, I don't know who your carrier is but I was not able to get a data signal when in Montreal. I was roaming with my Sprint-branded 650. Even though I have Verizon now, I predict the same this year -- no data signal.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Have you tried WebPro?
    I haven't. I can't get a trial version of WebPro to work on my 650. Downloaded it from Handango and it tells me that I'm not permitted to run WebPro, right before crashing my Treo. Really annoying.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseNYC
    I'll be there too! It'll be my 4th year in a row. Hope they do the pitwalk again on Thursday morning. Got some great shots. One thing, I don't know who your carrier is but I was not able to get a data signal when in Montreal. I was roaming with my Sprint-branded 650. Even though I have Verizon now, I predict the same this year -- no data signal.
    I have Cingular and I think I remember getting roaming GPRS (data) signal there last year (Rogers, I think). I would have had to look into some kind of int'l data roaming plan, but I couldn't get the site to work here, so I never got that far.

By the way, you might want to take a look at the live timing site again, now that the Bahrain practice data are up, to see how the formatting looks.

So psyched for the season!
    I've been DREAMING of getting this running on my 650. I even thought that since I loaded the java applet for Kmaps that it might work with the Blazer browser, but no luck. I'd even be willing to pay for a dedicated subscription streaming service somewhere.

Same goes for Setanta.tv for watching Hurling and Irish football!

THAT would be AWESOME!

Seems to me there's a business opportunity there somewhere - if you could still keep it legal licensing-wise - to offer dedicated subscriptions services. Perhaps MobiTV might offer such a service sometime? Hmmmmmm.....

Greg
  9.    #9  
    Any updates on this? Particularly on a 700p? 700w owners: please limit gloating.
    I see no way to do this on a Treo. I've tried all the available browsers with no success. I also have a Nokia E61 and it doesn't work on that device either.