Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was loading Cingular 1.15 over my 1.20 ENA. I had gone back and forth between CNG and ROW several times before, so I thought this was o.k. (maybe not!). Anyway, I was using the hotsync method and as far as I can tell, the update was loaded onto the phone. Last time I saw it working, the progress bar for firmware update was about halfway across. Then a little later (maybe after the firmware update was finished?), the Treo beeped and went totally dead. I had hard reset before the update, after backing up my phone. I use a rubber band to hold the sync cable in place during updates.

No matter whether I use the A/C adapter or the batteries (I have 2), the Treo is totally dead. Charging light won't come on, it won't reset, nothing. Nothing lights up at all no matter what I do.

Any ideas? Do I have to replace the motherboard, or what? Is there a little fuse in there that might have blown?

Thanks in advance.

Tony
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    I have no idea. My thoughts are with you though, as that must really REALLY suck...
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
  3.    #3  
    Yeah, it sucks, but my data is safe. It is worth more than the phone, anyhow (to me).

Actually, I can view the calendar, contacts, etc. on my laptop, which does help.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

I think I would probably just curl into the fetal position and cry into my pillow...
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Sounds like you now have a "brick" instead of a Treo. I was contemplating a custom ROM....but after your experience, I think I like my phone fine just the way it is.
  6.    #6  
    Just to clarify, I was installing an official CNG update over a customized ENA ROM. I don't think I made that clear before.

Doesn't sound like it will help, but have you tried resetting with the hotsync button on the cable connector pressed? Suggest trying this with the power on just to cover all bases. I have noticed a number of your posts and from your knowledge level expect you have already tried this.

Don't think CNG over ENA is a problem. If the installer doesn't like it then it just tells you so and won't let you proceed.

The thought of anybody's Treo truly being a brick is very distracting and now I will be thinking about how to solve this all day.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jgm
    Doesn't sound like it will help, but have you tried resetting with the hotsync button on the cable connector pressed? Suggest trying this with the power on just to cover all bases. I have noticed a number of your posts and from your knowledge level expect you have already tried this.

Don't think CNG over ENA is a problem. If the installer doesn't like it then it just tells you so and won't let you proceed.

The thought of anybody's Treo truly being a brick is very distracting and now I will be thinking about how to solve this all day.
    Yep, I've tried every combination of every button, including the reset hole, battery, and charger, that I can think of. Nothing. Nada. No lights, no sound.

The fact that it beeped when it died seems to indicate some level of software problem rather than hardware. Not sure what the Treo equivilant of a computer's BIOS is but you may have actually corrupted that somehow.

Not sure if mmastrac has a way to deal with this or not. As he is new daddy with his hands full you may want to wait until he starts posting again then pm him.

The my Treo is fine thread must be killing you right now.
  10.    #10  
    A buddy of mine gave me a pretty cool Sony/Ericsson, and I've been playing with it. It does email, web, sms, calendar, and a bunch of other stuff, so it is entertaining for now. But I still need my Treo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    Yep, I've tried every combination of every button, including the reset hole, battery, and charger, that I can think of. Nothing. Nada. No lights, no sound.
    No bootstrap mode? no Zero out reset? with diff. battery?
    I am sure it is fixable...
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    No bootstrap mode? no Zero out reset? with diff. battery?
    I am sure it is fixable...
    Absolutely nothing. Ever. No matter what. Reset yields no response, even in combination with power button or hotsync button. New, freshly charged battery makes no difference. Even the charger light stays off when I plug in the charger.

Damn, man that really blows. Do you have a warranty? Would you even be covered because of the custom ROM? Could they even tell?
  14.    #14  
    The phone is out of warranty.

New motherboard....
    jeez your screwed
    I would just jump off a bridge...

Don't take that as a suggestion!
    Quote Originally Posted by TechWiz
    jeez your screwed
    I bricked many Treos before Shadowmite came out with the recovery tool. Just buy a replacement motherboard and apply the correct ROM/Firmware and you are set!!!

You can use Sprint, Verizon, Cingular, whatever!
    Just replaced my motherboard too. GSM phone, replaced with Sprint mobo from performance PDA parts. All I needed to do was take the GSM daughterboard and place it on the CDMA motherboard. Used the romtool (grack.com/romtool) to load the latest GSM update and it worked great. The latest romtool will let you fix the IMEI/carrier tokens, but it's not really that important unless you use official updates.

Make sure you follow nonbeez' disassembly instructions - the new cases are expensive. Also, remember that the short screws are for the GSM daughterboard, the medium ones for the case and the long one for the antenna.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    I was loading Cingular 1.15 over my 1.20 ENA. I had gone back and forth between CNG and ROW several times before, so I thought this was o.k. (maybe not!). Anyway, I was using the hotsync method and as far as I can tell, the update was loaded onto the phone. Last time I saw it working, the progress bar for firmware update was about halfway across. Then a little later (maybe after the firmware update was finished?), the Treo beeped and went totally dead. I had hard reset before the update, after backing up my phone. I use a rubber band to hold the sync cable in place during updates.

No matter whether I use the A/C adapter or the batteries (I have 2), the Treo is totally dead. Charging light won't come on, it won't reset, nothing. Nothing lights up at all no matter what I do.

Any ideas? Do I have to replace the motherboard, or what? Is there a little fuse in there that might have blown?

Thanks in advance.

Tony
    I am really sorry to hear of your problem.
    When you say the Hotsync method, do you mean the new RomTool?
    Please don't consider me insensitive, I just would like to know more of how this might have happened to help all to learn from your unfortunate experience.
    Just call me Berd.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast