Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    I am really sorry to hear of your problem.
    When you say the Hotsync method, do you mean the new RomTool?
    Please don't consider me insensitive, I just would like to know more of how this might have happened to help all to learn from your unfortunate experience.
    The hotsync method is the palm-approved method. I'm not a fan of palm's default updater since the opportunity for failure is pretty high - it's surprising more updates don't fail with their stuff...

The ROM tool is designed so that you can never perma-brick your phone like this. It doesn't perform any operations that could do it (like upgrading the SPL/IPL/TPL), but those updates are fairly infrequent.
  2.    #22  
    I used the cable to update using the official update. Not the RomTool.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by mmastrac
    Just replaced my motherboard too. GSM phone, replaced with Sprint mobo from performance PDA parts. All I needed to do was take the GSM daughterboard and place it on the CDMA motherboard. Used the romtool (grack.com/romtool) to load the latest GSM update and it worked great. The latest romtool will let you fix the IMEI/carrier tokens, but it's not really that important unless you use official updates.

Make sure you follow nonbeez' disassembly instructions - the new cases are expensive. Also, remember that the short screws are for the GSM daughterboard, the medium ones for the case and the long one for the antenna.
    I'm not really following you here. So I take the existing daughterboard and use that with the new CDMA motherboard? I don't have to solder anything, right?

NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    I used the cable to update using the official update. Not the RomTool.
    This is why I always keep a copy of the last "official" (for my phone/carrier) ROM. I reinstall it--not via Palm's updater--before updating with another "official" update. Then I download the new ROM using one of the "unofficial" ROM tools, save it, customize a copy of it, and reload the customized version back to the Treo.

'Course you might just have been a victim of Palm's updater itself (which undoubtedly bricks phones that have never seen a custom ROM in their life).

In any event, it seems you have tried everything under the sun. But just to be clear you did try the bootloader technique with a working Hotsync cable, right? Have you also tried letting the Treo sit without its battery installed for an extended period of time?

--
    Mike
  5.    #25  
    Mike:

I think I'll do that in the future. . .

Bootloader doesn't work because Treo does nothing when I press buttons (including reset). I'm letting the Treo sit without the battery now.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm not really following you here. So I take the existing daughterboard and use that with the new CDMA motherboard? I don't have to solder anything, right?

Totally solderless. Just did this myself. Just make sure you remove the GSM daughterboard carefully and line up the pins carefully before installing it on the CDMA mobo.

Once I put the GSM ROM back and restored via resco, i had my phone back in mint condition!

This is the motherboard I bought:

http://performancepda.zoovy.com/c=Iq...650MOTHERBOARD
    Wow, $50 isn't too bad (less expensive than I expected). Heck, that's the deductible on most of the insurance plans (at least Sprint's).

--
    Mike
  8.    #28  
    Yep, I bought a new keyboard and new keyboard buttons (my backspace doesn't work half the time and my 5-way is wearing out), so the total was about $100, but my Precious should be good as new afterward!

i thought i was tech savvy till i installed 1.20ENA instead of 1.20LAP to solve resetting-TCPMP, problem never solved and i have lost functionality in noviiremote- coolest program ever!

after hearing this story i may abandon my feat of tampering with the ROM to get 1.20LAP to overwrite 1.20ENA.

my condolenses again and i will keep checking to see if you find a solution. all the best.
    Treo 650
    Sony UX-50
    Tungsten T5 (other half's)
  10.    #30  
    The hotsync method is the palm-approved method. I'm not a fan of palm's default updater since the opportunity for failure is pretty high - it's surprising more updates don't fail with their stuff...

The ROM tool is designed so that you can never perma-brick your phone like this. It doesn't perform any operations that could do it (like upgrading the SPL/IPL/TPL), but those updates are fairly infrequent.
    Do you think it was caused by overwriting the ENA with the CNG (in other words, one should never do that)? Or was it just a random bricking by the updater in general (as in, it could happen at any time)?

My guess is that you ended up with a different version of your IPL/SPL or different partition layout than was currently installed on your phone - that's the part of the whole process that can really fail badly. When it tried to update the partition layout it ended up dying somehow (random glitch/etc.) and basically bricked it.

Unfortunately for Palm's updater method, any glitch during partition reformat, IPL or SPL writes will brick the phone beyond any repair means. You might get lucky if it glitches during the TPL or HTC bootloader updates (maybe brick, maybe not). Thankfully there's no way to permanently destory a phone with a glitch in the ROM update phase (again that's why I hate Palm's update method ).

BTW - if you don't have any use for your current dead motherboard, I could certainly use it for various experiments/hacking activities. I could paypal you over a couple of bucks for shipping/packaging up here to Canada (only if you are willing to part with it, of course ).

Here's my suggested tips for everyone to keep the permabrick potential low:

- Use Palm's updater sparingly - ie: only if there are problems with the other update methods.

- You can run the phone firmware updates without running Palm's updater (on both GSM and CDMA phones). They are not tied to PalmOS ROM versions, so find the ones you like and stick with them. They don't seem to be too bad for failing during updates (but I have seen 2 or 3 phones with dead radios from this).

- If you use the SD card method, make sure you always use the same IPL, SPL, TPL, HTC TPL and RomUpdaterApp files *every time*. Your chances of permabricking your phone will be much lower if these items do not need to be updated.

- Make sure your phone is plugged in and has a full battery. Just common sense here .

- If you make custom ROMs, consider buying a spare motherboard (CDMA or GSM motherboard will work for any phone with the appropriate software updates) to avoid downtime.
    Last edited by mmastrac; 03/09/2006 at 01:05 PM.
  12.    #32  
    You know, if I bricked my phone installing a custom ROM, of course that is all my fault. It does tick me off, however, that trying to use an official CNG ROM bricked my phone. Even if it was running ENA software/firmware before. It still shouldn't ruin my motherboard. . .

Oh well, hopefully I can fix it.

You know, if I bricked my phone installing a custom ROM, of course that is all my fault. It does tick me off, however, that trying to use an official CNG ROM bricked my phone. Even if it was running ENA software/firmware before. It still shouldn't ruin my motherboard. . .

Oh well, hopefully I can fix it.
    Good luck with your endeavours... Don't worry - the motherboard will work just fine in your existing phone. I just went through the same experience and got my phone up and running again two days ago. At least you don't need a new Treo!
  14.    #34  
    Good luck with your endeavours... Don't worry - the motherboard will work just fine in your existing phone. I just went through the same experience and got my phone up and running again two days ago. At least you don't need a new Treo!
    You got that right. The unlocked Treo 650's are still high.

15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    I think I would probably just curl into the fetal position and cry into my pillow...
    I have a spare GSM phone with a wap browser and email, so its not too bad. . .

Nothing compared to the Treo, though.
    Last edited by Tonylmiller; 03/09/2006 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Changed my sig to reflect Treo status.

16.    #36  
    O.k., the phone is completely apart. Kinda nice, cause now I can clean the screen around the edges.

I wish my new motherboard had come in today. I guess it will be Monday or Tuesday. . .

17.    #37  
    Totally solderless. Just did this myself. Just make sure you remove the GSM daughterboard carefully and line up the pins carefully before installing it on the CDMA mobo.

Once I put the GSM ROM back and restored via resco, i had my phone back in mint condition!

This is the motherboard I bought:

http://performancepda.zoovy.com/c=Iq...650MOTHERBOARD
    O.k., so I will put in the new Sprint motherboard with my daughterboard. I already have the phone apart, and I don't foresee any problems there. When I turn the phone on, what happens? What firmware/software will it be running? Sprint? How do I update it (I don't want to brick it again!)? I want to get back to the latest CNG software/firmware if possible, but ENA will do.

Man, this is all just WAY out of my league. I wish I could help!
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    O.k., so I will put in the new Sprint motherboard with my daughterboard. I already have the phone apart, and I don't foresee any problems there. When I turn the phone on, what happens? What firmware/software will it be running? Sprint? How do I update it (I don't want to brick it again!)? I want to get back to the latest CNG software/firmware if possible, but ENA will do.
    It'll be running a Sprint ROM. You'll need to connect the new ROM tool to it (grack.com/romtool) and flash your GSM ROM on it that way. You can also use it to change your carrier token from SPCS to ENA.
  20.    #40  
    I've used the romtool, but not the token stuff. I'll have a look at it.

Thanks.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast