1.    #1  
    Many Popular Local Radio Stations (atleast in my area) have not yet started broadcasting over Shoutcast. If I start a Shoutcast account, Is it possible to route local Radio stations thru Shoutcast? In another words, Tune my Radio to a station, route it thru my PC, and then broadcast it over Shoutcast?
    And would it be Legal?
    Just call me Berd.
    For personal use it's likely legal. I already do this with my Sirius account. I've got a Linux box running XWindows/Gnome at 320x320 with a Mozilla browser opened to Sirius. I use PalmVNC to change the channel when I feel like it. I use darkice to feed the audio (fed from Mplayer in Mozilla) from /dev/dsp to icecast2 where it's encoded/broadcast at 64Kbps MP3.

Works perfect and the VNC session at the native Treo 650 resolution makes navigation simple.

I'd suggest you require authentication for the stream, use a DynDNS account if you're on a dynamic IP, and don't register the server with the "master" browser (aka, make it public).

For public re-broadcast, I'm sure it's illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    Many Popular Local Radio Stations (atleast in my area) have not yet started broadcasting over Shoutcast. If I start a Shoutcast account, Is it possible to route local Radio stations thru Shoutcast? In another words, Tune my Radio to a station, route it thru my PC, and then broadcast it over Shoutcast?
    And would it be Legal?
    Very easy to do...

You can also retransmit streaming WMA via shoutcast. Setup your favorite stations in WM10 as playlists, with the URL info and username and password if needed.

You can control your content via Salling Clicker using Bluetooth (for home use) or "wifi" when away. It the case of the Treo 650, that would be via the data connection... you just need to know your IP address of your machine and have your router/firewall set up properly.

So, your away and want to listen to a hockey game. Fire up Salling Clicker, connect to your machine, start WM10, select the playlist that has your station and... after about a minute you should be picking up your shoutcast stream.

I guess it's not that easy... but very doable!
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by cesium1024
    For personal use it's likely legal....
    If anybody tells you they know what is legal or illegal in the US, they are full of sh**. Very condensed version, the digital millenium copywright act pretty much says EVERYTHING is illegal, mp3s are illegal, watching your DVDs on your treo is illegal, if you can think of it, its illegal. The problem is, DMCA itself is illegal, as it goes against the constitution, and fair use provisions etc... and it wont hold up. None of this has been tested.

A better question is what is likely to give you problems and or lawsuits, and what does your concience tell you. Apart from this there's really nothing more to worry about.
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    Very easy to do...

You can also retransmit streaming WMA via shoutcast. Setup your favorite stations in WM10 as playlists, with the URL info and username and password if needed.

You can control your content via Salling Clicker using Bluetooth (for home use) or "wifi" when away. It the case of the Treo 650, that would be via the data connection... you just need to know your IP address of your machine and have your router/firewall set up properly.

So, your away and want to listen to a hockey game. Fire up Salling Clicker, connect to your machine, start WM10, select the playlist that has your station and... after about a minute you should be picking up your shoutcast stream.

I guess it's not that easy... but very doable!
    All I want to do is be able to fire up a feed that only plays on windows media, have that directed to a shoutcast stream that I can access on my Treo 650 and then listen in.

Basically trying to find a workaround to listen to wma files on my treo

Thanks
    Me too
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."