Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Another thing to check, although probably not the problem, is your screen brightness. I set mine just below 50% but on a reset it often jumps to the default setting. You might want to check that as well.
    Here's my story. About 2 weeks ago I noticed, all of a sudden, I could not got 6hrs without battery icon indicating red. I am on Sprint with loads of 3rd party software. Tlaking to an associate the other day he metioned the same problem, also on Sprint, but with NO 3rd party software installed.

Could this somehow be a Sprint problem???? Anybody???
    Quote Originally Posted by sleibow
    Here's my story. About 2 weeks ago I noticed, all of a sudden, I could not got 6hrs without battery icon indicating red. I am on Sprint with loads of 3rd party software. Tlaking to an associate the other day he metioned the same problem, also on Sprint, but with NO 3rd party software installed.

Don't think so.

Backup with a HotSync and hard reset and do not restore.

Run for a day this way.

If the drain stays -- it's hardware or battery releated, (or it could be the no/low service issue or your case is pushing on a button and keeping the Treo awake issue). If the drain disappears -- it is probably a software issue or conflict.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 03/23/2006 at 01:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sleibow

I'm on Sprint. It's not a problem with them. Here are potential causes, as far as I understand it:

1. Programs trying to call home (Chattermail, Versamail, Avantgo, etc.). Any program that is set to automatically check for updates, new email, messages, etc. uses up battery power.

2. Display doesn't turn off after set period and/or brightness is set to "high".

3. Replacement batteries. If you're using a different battery than the one that came with the Treo, follow Perry's earlier instructions earlier in this thread for "synching" the battery to the Treo. That fixed my problem with the replacement battery.

Brent
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
    Over the weekend, I did a hard reset using Perry's Instructions. They are great! (I'd suggest this as a sticky.)

And, for future knowledge seekers, I'll throw in some stuff I learned along the way:

1. Before doing anything (just to reiterate Perry), do a backup of everything to a memory card and do a hotsynch. And get out your list of registration numbers for your software.

2. After a hard reset, the very first program to be installed (before anything from the CD or any other programs) should be an uninstaller program that tracks installations. It makes clean up a lot easier down the road.

3. Doing a hard reset does not change your ROM or network settings. So you don't need to worry about that. When I bought my Palm, they upgraded the ROM at that time. I have not installed the recent ROM upgrade from Sprint and don't want it. After the hard reset, I had the ROM that I had before (1.12) -- not the factory installed one. Which is just what I wanted.

4. If you try to reinstall software from your Palm CD and encounter Error 1316, go to Palm's Knowledgebase:

Link to Palm Knowledgebase

In option 2 "Search by Soluttion ID", enter 17525.

That explains the error and has a link to the Microsoft Knowledgebase and a download for the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. Don't know why this happens, but it seems to happen fairly often but is very easy to fix and works like a charm.

5. As you re-install your programs (one at a time), check to be sure everything looks OK. The only problem I had was with a game. The clean installation from the CD wasn't quite right. I was able to copy the necessary files over from the backup on the card and it was fine.

A big thank you to Perry for his very thorough, helpful tips and to the folks on other threads who helped point me in the right direction.
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12