1.    #1  
    Howdy!

I'm travelling to Amsterdam tomorrow for two weeks. I've searched and read lots of "unlocking" threads and talk of SIM cards.

Being a Sprint customer, and someone who has never been to Europe, I don't really know much about SIM cards and unlocking.

1) Do SIM cards go into the SD slot? Or is that something for a GSM phone only?
    2) I probably don't have a GSM phone... how many modes/bands does a T650 support?
    3) My friends over in Amsterdam have a pre-paid SIM card they offered to let me use... obviously if I need to unlock my phone or anything I'm too late and probably out of luck at this point, eh?

Thanks, and I apologize in advance if this info is buried in some thread some where, I *did* do several searches to try and find answers first!

~Mike
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    SIM (Subscriber Information Module) cards are used with GSM phones. It is used to store information about the phone and the service carrier. As such, a SIM can be moved from one GSM phone to another (assuming both phone and SIM are unlocked) and the new phone will inherit the phone number on the SIM.

GSM is the wireless phone technology used pretty much exclusively in Europe, and by a few carriers in the US (notably Cingular). Sprint on the other hand uses a cell phone technology called CDMA which is not compatable with GSM.

So long story short: your sprint Treo 650 will not work as a phone in Europe. The palm functions will continue to work however. A Cingular Treo probably would work as a phone over there. I am told that if you talk to Sprint however, they can provide you with a separate GSM phone that will work in Europe (with your phone number), but the rates are very high. I would investigate other phone options personally.

This is the major reason why I am seriously considering changing from Sprint to Cingular when my contract expires.

- Dave
    Devices: Palm Pro -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 650
  3.    #3  
    Excellent- thanks for the info, and the quick reply!

My networking classes in college explained CDMA and how it works technically, but never touched on GSM!

Oh well, guess I'll just be using my T650 as a Palm/Movie player! I have Skype and they have a VOIP device over there, so that'll be good enough!
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum