1.    #1  
    I am not too computer oriented. How do I shorten an mp3 to use as a ring tone? There is a certain phrase I want to use, I am not sure how to clip it. Thanks!
    Convert it back into a WAV file with CDex (free tool) and then use the Windows Sound Recorder (sndrec32.exe) to clip out the portion of the WAV file you want. The WAV file can be played as a ring tone without any additional software on the Treo 650....and since you are only clipping a small portion of the file, it should stay nice and small.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for helping a mp3 newbie!
    Even better, use Audacity (free).

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
  5.    #5  
    I am sorry but I cannot get these to work. I am not real computer oriented. Could someone help with step by step instructions? I tried the audacity but the help link is not detailed. Thanks!
    I like mp3 cutter (get from download.com). Pretty easy to use. Shareware, but as long as the clips are under a minute you can use it as long as you want
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    I'm not a ringtone kinda guy but I use MKW Audio Toolkit to convert files....I'm a SHN kinda guy. But my son uses Goldwav for all his editing / conversion (free version). I took the alarm clock sequence from Pink Floyd's Time last night and edited it down to a 68k file. Gonna try that as my new wake up alarm sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by o_town_racer
    Convert it back into a WAV file with CDex (free tool) and then use the Windows Sound Recorder (sndrec32.exe) to clip out the portion of the WAV file you want. The WAV file can be played as a ring tone without any additional software on the Treo 650....and since you are only clipping a small portion of the file, it should stay nice and small.
    Noob here. How do you select a .wav file as a ringtone on the Treo 650? I've tried by selecting the "New" option under "Manage Sound" & "Sounds & Alerts" but it will only take me to the recorder. Also, what are the specs for compatible .wav files? TIA
    Quote Originally Posted by rcyphermd
    I am not too computer oriented. How do I shorten an mp3 to use as a ring tone? There is a certain phrase I want to use, I am not sure how to clip it. Thanks!
    I use the built-in Real Player to play the mp3 in background mode, & use WaveEditPro ver 1.0 to record/modify the portion I required, then saved it to card. (in wave format)
    After that, I just beam the saved wave file from my laptop to my Treo.

'Wave Edit Pro' is available on Palmgear or: www.newborngames.se

11.    #12  
    I found direct wave mp3 splitter on download.com
    It worked GREAT and was easy for a newbie!
    What's it called? Link?