1.    #1  
    So... i bought an unlocked treo 650 phone the other day. The problem is, i can't put my sim card in it! the tray won't come out. i even tried prying it open, with a bit of force, and no luck. the phone seems to be fully functional...

any ideas? can i get to the sim card by unscrewing the phone?
    If you bought it from Treo -- I would ask for a replacement.

Fully Functional? Including the phone? Is that possible without a SIM installed? (Sorry, I am a SIMless type of guy on Sprint.)

Who is your service provider? Maybe if you took it into one of their stores -- a tech might have a trick or two on getting it to come out.. . . . . .

Personally, I would not try to unscrew the case and open it, especially, if it is under warranty.

Good Luck!
    This is one of the advantages of brick and mortar stores, besides lower prices and shorter contracts,....these things are worked out beforre you leave the store. I doubt an all carriers store would help you but you should be able to get assistance by walking into a Cingular branded store....bring your receipt.

I am assuming of course that you are opening the SIM slot and not trying to pry loose the fake SD card which is removed by pressing not pulling.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    This is one of the advantages of brick and mortar stores, besides lower prices and shorter contracts,....these things are worked out beforre you leave the store. I doubt an all carriers store would help you but you should be able to get assistance by walking into a Cingular branded store....bring your receipt.

I am assuming of course that you are opening the SIM slot and not trying to pry loose the fake SD card which is removed by pressing not pulling.
    Good Call!
    Last edited by byronchurch; 03/08/2006 at 09:46 AM. Reason: TOO BIG!!!!
  5.    #5  
    well, i bought it off ebay, for a real good deal, and it seemed a bit shady... so, my only thinking is maybe it was a demo model in a store, or a stolen phone.

it's a treo 650, branded as a cingular phone on the front. the battery is practically dead, i ordered a charger seperately, so i can't get much use out of it currently. but last night i had the battery working for about 5 minutes, and the weird thing is, i was able to make a call. on my caller id on my other phone, it showed up as a local number. really weird. i remember seeing 'sim options' in my menu list, so, i assume there is a sim card in it - but the sim card slot just won't open.

i'm quite confused as to what's going on with it.... probably shouldn't have bought it off ebay, but it was such a good deal, i had to.

maybe i'll take it to my cingular store anyway, maybe they know something
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Just curious, where is your sim card tray located, and does it have an indentation for you to use your fingernail on?

If you can not open, take it to a store.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  7.    #7  
    on the back, near the top, behind the SD card slot.

yes, there is an indentation.

weird.
    Sounds like somebody may have used paper spacers to solve an earlier SIM card problem, used too much paper and now the card catches on the lip coming back out. Not sure what you can do about that though. Don't know if disassembly gives you access or not but guess some level of disassembly should. Guessing there is no way it is on warranty so you might as well try that. You can do a search, I remember there was some stuff here a lot earlier about disassembly and even some pictures. Seem to remember there are some connectors you need to be careful with.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jgm
    Sounds like somebody may have used paper spacers to solve an earlier SIM card problem, used too much paper and now the card catches on the lip coming back out. Not sure what you can do about that though. Don't know if disassembly gives you access or not but guess some level of disassembly should. Guessing there is no way it is on warranty so you might as well try that. You can do a search, I remember there was some stuff here a lot earlier about disassembly and even some pictures. Seem to remember there are some connectors you need to be careful with.
    well, i opened her up. sim card in tray, tray still unmovable. it wiggles a bit from the bottom, but, wont' be removed. i'm just gonna pop my sim card in the tray, and hope i don't need to mess with it, if so, just open it up again. it wasn't too difficult.

still no idea why the tray won't open. it's not stuck, it just, won't move.
  10.    #10  
    well, fixed it. popped my sim in, and every feature on the phone works as it should as far as i can tell. just am gonna have to unscrew it if i ever need to take the sim out.

now, time to start finding what other fun things i can do with this phone.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Glad you got it working. Strange on the tray not coming out. Did you take it in to the carrier store and see what they say?
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Is superglue and somebody's idea of a prank involved in this situation somewhere? - mvk
    I didn't remove my SIM so far because of two sheets of paper, so I think it is a real problem. I do help anybody can help me to get the tray out. I bought my treo 650 in ebay and I don't expect any warranty from either Cingular or Palm.com.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cellneuron
    I didn't remove my SIM so far because of two sheets of paper, so I think it is a real problem. I do help anybody can help me to get the tray out. I bought my treo 650 in ebay and I don't expect any warranty from either Cingular or Palm.com.
    Just get the correct torx driver and open it using these instructions.
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Quote Originally Posted by jgm
    Sounds like somebody may have used paper spacers to solve an earlier SIM card problem, used too much paper and now the card catches on the lip coming back out. Not sure what you can do about that though.
    LOL...I've made that mistake. I had to use a screwdriver to pry the slot out (using the lil fingernail groove). It took a long time to get out...and left a minor scar on the old sim tray. But that one got sent back for replacement
    Before anyone goes overboard with conspiracy theories (whoops -- too late!), I wanted to add that I had this problem initially with my "legitimate, from the Cingular store" Treo. I still had my Nokia and was making the switch to the Treo. Popped the SIM out of my Nokia and put it in my Treo. Then I realized that my contacts on my Nokia were in the phone, and not on the SIM card -- so I went to remove the SIM from my Treo to keep using my Nokia (until I figured out how to use the Treo)... But the tray wouldn't come out. I tried everthing to get it out (tried prying it with a screwdriver, grabbing it with tweezers, etc.), but no dice. Then after messing up the little fingernail grab on it, after 2 hours of screwing with it and panicing, after getting really frustrated and not touching it for a couple hours, I went back to it, kind of pushing it inward a bit, tried again, and it came sliding out like it was buttered. Go figure.

All I can say is that the tolerance between the edge(s) of the card and the tabs of the tray and the slot of the Treo, it's easy for the tray to snag and not come out. I subsequentlly got the "new" tray from Palm, and all is well. Fact of the matter is, all was well subsequently even with the old tray. Odd...

-Kirk