Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Hi guys, what exactly is FAT32 and what are some of the uses of this program? Just curious-----Thanks guys
    Theres a thread with a bazillion and a half posts in it, covering this. That wasn't enough?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    FAT32 is not a program. FAT stands for file "allocation table" and it comes from FAT16 (which was used with 16 bit windows operating systems) and FAT 32 which came about with 32 bit operating systems like Windows 95 . It basically sets the "format" for how clusters are layed out in storage devices. each piece fo information is stored ina cluster even if it doesn't use up the whole cluster. For example, saving the notepad file with just the letter "a" in it would take up a 32,000 bytes if you were formated with 32k clusters.

Where it comes into paly with the Treo is that the maximum formatted size of a volume under FAT16 is 2 Gigabytes. Since 4 GB cards are available now, you can't use the entire capacity under FAT16 because of the 2 Gig limit. The new FAT32 driver , hijacked from a future model gets around this limit but requires a custom ROM.
    Has someone really tried a 4G card yet? I read a few pages of the fat32 thread but didn't see anyone actually trying a full sized card yet, just lots of throughput data.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    FAT32 is not a program. FAT stands for file "allocation table" and it comes from FAT16 (which was used with 16 bit windows operating systems) and FAT 32 which came about with 32 bit operating systems like Windows 95 . It basically sets the "format" for how clusters are layed out in storage devices. each piece fo information is stored ina cluster even if it doesn't use up the whole cluster. For example, saving the notepad file with just the letter "a" in it would take up a 32,000 bytes if you were formated with 32k clusters.

Where it comes into paly with the Treo is that the maximum formatted size of a volume under FAT16 is 2 Gigabytes. Since 4 GB cards are available now, you can't use the entire capacity under FAT16 because of the 2 Gig limit. The new FAT32 driver , hijacked from a future model gets around this limit but requires a custom ROM.
    Not to nit pick, but FAT32 only works with Win95 OSR2...probably not a big deal though since it's been archived in Bill's personal safe box.
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
    When placed in a new rom the Fat32 works quite nicely at speeding up the Sd card transfers. I nearly doubled my VFSMark when I upgraded and noticed a significant change in application loading times from the SD card.

TS
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Has someone really tried a 4G card yet? I read a few pages of the fat32 thread but didn't see anyone actually trying a full sized card yet, just lots of throughput data.
    Yes, several have.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by millsda2
    Not to nit pick, but FAT32 only works with Win95 OSR2...probably not a big deal though since it's been archived in Bill's personal safe box.
    No Win9x expert here...I ran a benchtest on it here in the office and it was 40% slower than W4WGs. IIRC, FAT32 was suppossed to be in Win95 but it wasn't ready yet for ...er 1995....so, like we are seeing with Vista again, it was pushed back.
    Quote Originally Posted by turbosteve
    When placed in a new rom the Fat32 works quite nicely at speeding up the Sd card transfers. I nearly doubled my VFSMark when I upgraded and noticed a significant change in application loading times from the SD card.
    Just curious....how did cluster sizes change from FAT16 -> FAT32. A Hard drive would have gone IIRC from 32 kb to 4 kb meaning that in addition to speed, storage should be more efficient with less cluster slop.