1.    #1  
    Hi,

Yes I have searched the forums and read the responses! Now here's my problem - I have two Sandisk Ultra II SD cards - one 1GB and the other 2GB. The cards are fine, have used them in Digicams and the PC for a while now. They have been formatted as FAT32 on the PC. I wanted to use them on the 650, so I formatted the cards in the Treo (as FAT - default). No problem so far, the size shows up correctly, everything seems to work...

I pop the 1GB card into a card reader (it's a new card reader with support for larger cards), and start copying MP3 files onto it. After my PC copies about 125 songs or so, I get an error "Cannot create file or folder". I try the 2GB card, same result at the exact same point! It appears that I can't copy anything more onto the FAT-formatted SD card after about 585MB. Of course if I format the cards as FAT32 then I can fill up the entire cards. Format them back as FAT and the same result - error message at about 585MB.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong - the reader shows the correct available size, the Treo shows the correct size, but I can't copy more than 585MBs worh of data. My question is this - has anyone copied data almost as much as the card capacity (1GB or 2GB) and still been able to access it in the Treo? Anyone copied more than 600MB of data (any data - songs, video, whatever) onto a 1GB or 2GB SD card formatted as FAT (not FAT32)?? I'll appreciate any help I can get. Thanks a lot!!
    Last edited by cadavi; 03/07/2006 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Solution Found!
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    I have 3.5GB of mp3s on my 4GB adata card (crappy card, but works fine w/ my treo, even if it and my reader always seems to think it's only RO, so thank god for softick).
  3.    #3  
    Hi thetoad, have you tried copying data onto the card without softick? Like just using a card reader?
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    It doesn't work reliably in mine (as I said). It always comes up read only (linux tells me this information on console when the card is inserted), so I can't really use it w/o softick, which for my purposes is fine.
    This may be obvious but here goes:

Are you trying to put the mp3 files in the root of the card? If so create a folder and put songs and other stuff inside the folder. There is a limit to number of files / folders you can put in the root of a FAT formatted drive.

Hope this helps.
    Prio Treo
    Unlocked Unbranded Treo 650 on T-Mobile-T-Zone
    thetoad: You have 4GB card with a Treo 650? I thought it could only handle up to 2GB SD cards.
  7.    #7  
    Hi PrioTreo,

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

That was it! I know a whole bunch of people who didn't know this (including me, duh!!).

Thanks once again.
    with fat32 installed you can read over 2gb.
    There's always next year!
    Quote Originally Posted by cadavi
    Hi PrioTreo,

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

That was it! I know a whole bunch of people who didn't know this (including me, duh!!).

Thanks once again.
    You are welcome. Some of us remember the days of DOS. That is long before before there were any POS (Palm OS).
    Prio Treo
    Unlocked Unbranded Treo 650 on T-Mobile-T-Zone
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    What is the SD card size limit with fat32?
    There largest SD card now is only 4 GB and, at 2 TB, the FAT32 limit is many orders of magnitude beyond that
    my 2gb sandisk ultra ii works great!
    How do I get fat32 on my sd card???
    Quote Originally Posted by Texbambam
    How do I get fat32 on my sd card???
    Requires a custom ROM. Start with this thread.