Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowboxer
    Darn,
    tough audience, hug Jeff?

I appreciate the idea. I have already added Sharklink and a bunch of little "linkets".
    Thanks

LOL.

was supposed to be: "huh, Jeff?"

guess "hug jeff was ok, too!!"
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kirvin
    I don't need a hug, I really don't care if people agree with me. I do find the urgency addiction here amusing.

And if you think SharkLinks is cool, wait until you see what you can do with SharkCuts.
    Hey Jeff...how big are the links you created with SharkLinks? Each of mine are
    59K. The 9 of them I have seem to take-up a lot of room. Shouldn't the links be smaller?

Any idea when SharkCuts will be ready for prime-time?
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoDave
    59K. The 9 of them I have seem to take-up a lot of room. Shouldn't the links be smaller?

Mine are a bit less than 4k each but they all have a 19k related database. Not sure what that's for.
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoDave

Actually, each link is about 6k or so. But since I'm betting all yours have the same creator id, they'll all show the total of all Sharklinks combined as their individual sizes. If you want to see what they actually take up, look at them in Resco.

Tyler said he wanted to have a beta ready by tonight's chat on 1SRC, but I don't know if that will happen or not. Don't want to commit him to anything.
    So I'm using www.m-w.com/palm as suggested earlier in this thread and I remembered why I wasn't using it before. The initial page loads fine and the lookup page also, but when I select a word to see the definition it launches the full desktop webpage and takes forever.

So, what are others using for a dictionary website? I've tried www.thefreedictionary as well but I can do without the adds. It seems a bit bloated for a PDA friendly site.
    Actually, each link is about 6k or so. But since I'm betting all yours have the same creator id, they'll all show the total of all Sharklinks combined as their individual sizes. If you want to see what they actually take up, look at them in Resco.

Tyler said he wanted to have a beta ready by tonight's chat on 1SRC, but I don't know if that will happen or not. Don't want to commit him to anything.
    Jeff, you were certainly correct. The links created all add up to 59K as each one in Resco Explorer show a little over 3K. Thanks for that info.

Looking forward to SharkCuts!
    Takes me about 1.5 seconds from the time I tap the Dictionary icon in my launcher to get to the search form on Merriam Webster. And after I type the word I'm looking for and hit search, it's just as fast as looking up a word in RoadLingua. What's the difference?
    It depends on the signal strenght of where you are located. If I was guaranteed 1.5 seconds for the online version, every time, no matter what...that would be awesome. Unfortunately is not guaranteed.

Don't get me wrong, I use Sharklinks the same way you do. I think is awesome. But there are times I need the information right there and then. That is why I might decide not to use the web application.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Jeff, nice list of links. I'm surprised you wouldn't be interested in the 700p soley for the EVDO capability. That's what I'm looking forward to the most.
    SprintPCS Treo 755p
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by cash70
    It depends on the signal strenght of where you are located. If I was guaranteed 1.5 seconds for the online version, every time, no matter what...that would be awesome. Unfortunately is not guaranteed.

Don't get me wrong, I use Sharklinks the same way you do. I think is awesome. But there are times I need the information right there and then. That is why I might decide not to use the web application.
    I guess it comes down to tradeoffs, to balance. Let's say it takes 5 seconds to do a definition lookup. Is 5 whole seconds out of my day (figuring you're only awake for 16 hours, that's still 0.0086805% of your day, less than a percent of a percent) worth not having to install yet another application on my Treo? And minimizing the number of Palm OS apps you run isn't just about free memory, it's about stability. The fewer apps you have, the less potential conflict.

In exchange for a little patience on my part (life doesn't have to be lived at Mach 3 with your hair on fire), my Treo almost never, ever crashes. I like that.

Jeff
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by tcatnat
    Jeff, nice list of links. I'm surprised you wouldn't be interested in the 700p soley for the EVDO capability. That's what I'm looking forward to the most.
    Now that Tyler has a fix ready for the 700p's not-as-good-as-the-650-and-why-do-they-always-have-to-screw-up-a-good-thing button arrangement, I'm more interested in the 700p. But I have to say that most of the time, I really don't think I'd notice the difference between 1xRTT and EVDO. How long does even 1xRTT take to download a 10k page?
    Now that Tyler has a fix ready for the 700p's not-as-good-as-the-650-and-why-do-they-always-have-to-screw-up-a-good-thing button arrangement, I'm more interested in the 700p. But I have to say that most of the time, I really don't think I'd notice the difference between 1xRTT and EVDO. How long does even 1xRTT take to download a 10k page?
    That's fine and dandy when all you visit are mobile formated pages, but many times that option in not available. Furthermore, there are so many other applicatons with 1xEvDo like better VoIP funtionality via greater bnadwidth, better streaming and etc...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Instead of WorldMate, try Flight Schedules
    http://www.treosoftware.com/pqa/oag/
    This one's not working. The links on the OAG site are all gone (404).

Which I suppose is a potential downside to your strategy - depending on other people's links, which may or may not be always be there.
    And minimizing the number of Palm OS apps you run isn't just about free memory, it's about stability. The fewer apps you have, the less potential conflict.
    Tho I love "the small things" and use them as you do, I would want to qualify that statement. If you have 100 programs residing and working on the SD card, there really is little chance of "conflict" as when 1 is in use, the other 99 are all on the card. It's whan you have multiple programs in main memory, each of them wanting their own "chunk" of memory that stability gets compromised. I think you have less of a chnace of a problem with 100 apps on SD card than 3 in main memory especially if they alter the default behavior of the Treo and / or use large chunks of memory.
    Here's a free loan calculator I found works well with Sharklinks.

http://www.theautofinder.com/paymentcalc.htm
    can you share with me about how to use gmail with trea 650
    thanks
  16.    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by rbhavens
    can you share with me about how to use gmail with trea 650
    thanks
    What precisely do you want to know? I was using a Sharklink to m.gmail.com but now that the Outlook Web Access plugin for Chatter is finally ready, I'm using that for my work email and forwarding my Gmail to Fastmail so I can use IMAP to Chatter for my personal email.

Sounds complicated, but surprisingly simple once it's set up.
    Jeff Kirvin
    Author of Between Heaven and Hell, a different kind of SF novel.
    Get it at eReader http://www.ereader.com/product/detail/5493
    or Fictionwise http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook29869.htm

For the sequel, check out eSerials at http://www.serialfiction.net

Listen to the Maximum Geek Podcast!
    http://www.solomedia.org/podcast/
    nice links Jeff.

BTW I got the point. ur not concerned about speed, some of us are. differences are OK
    mobile.answers.com

this has wikipedia and other encycs. relatively fast to. nice if want to do some bedtime reading on some interesting topic. I like the way it formats also.
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by craigdts
    nice links Jeff.

BTW I got the point. ur not concerned about speed, some of us are. differences are OK
    Actually, I'm now running ZLauncher, 4Cast and Chatter.

I'm insane.
    Jeff Kirvin
    Author of Between Heaven and Hell, a different kind of SF novel.
    Get it at eReader http://www.ereader.com/product/detail/5493
    or Fictionwise http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook29869.htm

For the sequel, check out eSerials at http://www.serialfiction.net

Listen to the Maximum Geek Podcast!
    http://www.solomedia.org/podcast/
    Actually, I'm now running ZLauncher, 4Cast and Chatter.

I'm insane.
    Hahaha...well, that's a strange turn of events

It's a nice idea, but not real practical. I hate thinking about the amount of missed calls I'd have, and the massive battery drain of using the web for everything. As it stands now, I have over 9 free megs of RAM(and a bunch of apps on my card), and other than Verichat(still looking for a good IM alternative), my Treo is very stable.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast